Lost BIOS password on Inspiron 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

We have an Inspiron 1100 Notebook that someone set the BIOS password on and
we've no idea what the password is. Evidently the CMOS battery is hard-wired
in (jumpers maybe?) or is there some default Dell password? Any help would
be appreciated. Thank you.

"LL" <pmppmp@dahouse.com> wrote in message
> We have an Inspiron 1100 Notebook that someone set the BIOS password on
> and we've no idea what the password is. Evidently the CMOS battery is
> hard-wired in (jumpers maybe?) or is there some default Dell password? Any
> help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Call Dell. Provide proof of ownership and they will provide a master
password.

Tom

I know some software which I believed was really "only for technicians". Afterwards I had to see,
that the CD Dell provides their engineers is only downloadable via ftp. This way I think it is
secure and legal to give you the link.
Are you able to boot from any device or is the start locked as well??

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

There is no such software. As a Dell technician we have never ever been
issued this software, if you really own the machine legally then contact
Dell with proff of ownership and they will give you a password to let you in
"Andreas Hopp" <123_Hopp@web.de> wrote in message
>I know some software which I believed was really "only for technicians".
>Afterwards I had to see,
> that the CD Dell provides their engineers is only downloadable via ftp.
> This way I think it is
> secure and legal to give you the link.
> Are you able to boot from any device or is the start locked as well??

Thanks for the advice, my brother bought this laptop from a friend in
another state before he moved back here, and cannot contact the guy. As far
as I know, and have no reason to think otherwise, he legitimately owns it. I
dont know what "proof of ownership" there could be. He said it worked fine
for months and now has the password problem. It will boot from the CD but
can't see the HD so....THX anyway

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> There is no such software. As a Dell technician we have never ever been
> issued this software, if you really own the machine legally then contact
> Dell with proff of ownership and they will give you a password to let you
> in
> "Andreas Hopp" <123_Hopp@web.de> wrote in message
>>I know some software which I believed was really "only for technicians".
>>Afterwards I had to see,
>> that the CD Dell provides their engineers is only downloadable via ftp.
>> This way I think it is
>> secure and legal to give you the link.
>> Are you able to boot from any device or is the start locked as well??

LL,
Dell's "Proof of Ownership" is similar to an automobile's title. So if your
brother bought a car from his friend, he would have signed over the title to
him. Then your brother would have to get a new title in his name. So for
your brother to get any support for his laptop from Dell, his friend would
have to transfer ownership to him.

Here are some links to explain this policy:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1011182&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1057006&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"LL" <pmppmp@dahouse.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the advice, my brother bought this laptop from a friend in
>another state before he moved back here, and cannot contact the guy. As far
>as I know, and have no reason to think otherwise, he legitimately owns it. I
>dont know what "proof of ownership" there could be. He said it worked fine
>for months and now has the password problem. It will boot from the CD but
>can't see the HD so....THX anyway

Sounds like either the hard drive died or it's got a password set on
the hard drive, which essentially renders it useless. AFAIK it's not
possible to get around a hard drive password, so you're better off
throwing it out and installing a new one.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "LL" <pmppmp@dahouse.com> wrote:
>>Thanks for the advice, my brother bought this laptop from a friend in
>>another state before he moved back here, and cannot contact the guy. As
>>far
>>as I know, and have no reason to think otherwise, he legitimately owns it.
>>dont know what "proof of ownership" there could be. He said it worked fine
>>for months and now has the password problem. It will boot from the CD but
>>can't see the HD so....THX anyway
>
> Sounds like either the hard drive died or it's got a password set on
> the hard drive, which essentially renders it useless. AFAIK it's not
> possible to get around a hard drive password, so you're better off
> throwing it out and installing a new one.

That's a solution ONLY if it is a hard drive password. If it is a BIOS
password, the machine is useless.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "LL" <pmppmp@dahouse.com> wrote:
>>>for months and now has the password problem. It will boot from the CD but
>>>can't see the HD so.

>> Sounds like either the hard drive died or it's got a password set on
>> the hard drive, which essentially renders it useless. AFAIK it's not
>> possible to get around a hard drive password, so you're better off
>> throwing it out and installing a new one.

>That's a solution ONLY if it is a hard drive password. If it is a BIOS
>password, the machine is useless.

If it boots from the CD, it's probably not a BIOS password.

gb

> That's a solution ONLY if it is a hard drive password. If it is a BIOS
> password, the machine is useless.

On my desktop machine, removing the cmos battery resets the bios password.
Is it different in the Inspiron?

Yes.

It's in non-volitale memory and won't erase that way
"GB" <NotSomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> That's a solution ONLY if it is a hard drive password. If it is a BIOS
>> password, the machine is useless.
>>

> On my desktop machine, removing the cmos battery resets the bios password.
> Is it different in the Inspiron?

happymark

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:
BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool Service: http://www.biospasswordrecovery.com/