More about ghost 2003

    From: "sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com>

    | Hi
    | I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my new
    | machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
    | programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
    | external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
    | cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
    | wrong.
    |
    | Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
    |
    | Thanks in advanced for any help
    |
    | Sue

    You are using the software incorrectly. To "clone" a system virtually the same model
    platform is needed for the source and destination. By definition you can't clone to working
    machine with Win98. The restored image would make the destination platform exactly like the
    source system.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    sue Davies wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on
    > my new machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of
    > the works programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try
    > to clone to an external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a
    > ghost image there fore cannot restore on new machine partition
    > running win 98. What am I doing wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced for any help

    Please cross-post in the future.
    Multi-posting is annoying.

    You are asking on a Microsoft newsgroup for help with a Symantec product.
    I suggest asking Symantec/Norton and/or reading the manual/PDFs on how to do
    this.
    Your explanation does not say where you are saving the image (external drive
    as an image, network drive as an image, etc) anyway..

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    "sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my
    > new machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
    > programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
    > external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
    > cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
    > wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
    >
    > Thanks in advanced for any help
    >
    > Sue

    Sue:
    If I understand you correctly you're cloning the contents of your "old"
    machine that contains the Windows 98 operating system to a USB external hard
    drive. Do I have that right?

    And you say that the "ghost image" does not "show up" so that you cannot
    restore it to the Win98 partition on your new machine. I take it the new
    machine has been multi-partitioned with WinXP occupying one of the
    partitions and Win98 the other.

    But I'm not clear on your precise problem. After you've cloned the contents
    of your old machine to your external drive which you say "goes ok", what do
    you mean when you say it "does not show up as a ghost image". The external
    drive shows nothing? The cloned contents are not reflected on your external
    drive?

    Is there any reason why you cannot *directly* clone the contents of the old
    drive to your Win98 partition on the new machine? Is your plan to first
    clone those contents to the external drive and then re:clone them to the new
    drive's Win98 partition?

    Perhaps I misunderstand your problem & objective. So please set me straight
    if I have and we can go on from there if you like.
    Anna

    You cannot clone Windows XP on one machine and then
    install it on a different machine. The Ghost image is only
    valid for the original machine.

    Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

    How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    > You cannot clone Windows XP on one machine and then
    > install it on a different machine. The Ghost image is only
    > valid for the original machine.
    >
    > Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
    > http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html
    >
    > How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    Carey:
    Unless I've grossly misunderstood Sue's objective, she wants to clone the
    contents of a Win98 drive on one machine to the Win98 partition of another
    machine. There's no reason she can't do that using Ghost 2003. Naturally
    there will probably be driver issues after the cloning process, but that's
    another issue.

    I've responded to Sue's query in another posting.
    Anna

Windows XP