Sue

From: "sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com>

| Hi
| I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my new
| machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
| programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
| external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
| cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
| wrong.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
|
| Thanks in advanced for any help
|
| Sue

You are using the software incorrectly. To "clone" a system virtually the same model
platform is needed for the source and destination. By definition you can't clone to working
machine with Win98. The restored image would make the destination platform exactly like the
source system.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

sue Davies wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on
> my new machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of
> the works programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try
> to clone to an external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a
> ghost image there fore cannot restore on new machine partition
> running win 98. What am I doing wrong.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advanced for any help

Please cross-post in the future.
Multi-posting is annoying.

You are asking on a Microsoft newsgroup for help with a Symantec product.
I suggest asking Symantec/Norton and/or reading the manual/PDFs on how to do
this.
Your explanation does not say where you are saving the image (external drive
as an image, network drive as an image, etc) anyway..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

anna

"sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my
> new machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
> programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
> external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
> cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
> wrong.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks in advanced for any help
>
> Sue

Sue:
If I understand you correctly you're cloning the contents of your "old"
machine that contains the Windows 98 operating system to a USB external hard
drive. Do I have that right?

And you say that the "ghost image" does not "show up" so that you cannot
restore it to the Win98 partition on your new machine. I take it the new
machine has been multi-partitioned with WinXP occupying one of the
partitions and Win98 the other.

But I'm not clear on your precise problem. After you've cloned the contents
of your old machine to your external drive which you say "goes ok", what do
you mean when you say it "does not show up as a ghost image". The external
drive shows nothing? The cloned contents are not reflected on your external
drive?

Is there any reason why you cannot *directly* clone the contents of the old
drive to your Win98 partition on the new machine? Is your plan to first
clone those contents to the external drive and then re:clone them to the new
drive's Win98 partition?

Perhaps I misunderstand your problem & objective. So please set me straight
if I have and we can go on from there if you like.
Anna

You cannot clone Windows XP on one machine and then
install it on a different machine. The Ghost image is only
valid for the original machine.

Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"sue Davies" wrote:

| Hi
| I am trying to clone my work machine to use on a dual boot system on my new
| machine. My old works machine has to run win 98 for some of the works
| programs to be able to run. When I use ghost 2003 and try to clone to an
| external drive it goes ok but does not show up as a ghost image there fore
| cannot restore on new machine partition running win 98. What am I doing
| wrong.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me nuts.
|
| Thanks in advanced for any help
|
| Sue

anna

> You cannot clone Windows XP on one machine and then
> install it on a different machine. The Ghost image is only
> valid for the original machine.
>
> Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
> http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html
>
> How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

Carey:
Unless I've grossly misunderstood Sue's objective, she wants to clone the
contents of a Win98 drive on one machine to the Win98 partition of another
machine. There's no reason she can't do that using Ghost 2003. Naturally
there will probably be driver issues after the cloning process, but that's
another issue.

I've responded to Sue's query in another posting.
Anna