Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I boot Two OSes at the same time.

Last response: in Windows 7
March 15, 2010 3:24:12 PM

(not sure if this is in the right spot or not)

I was wondering if it is possible to boot two operating systems at the same time on one pc with out emulation. I think I have all the hardware I would need.

system specs:
intel q9550
two 320 gb hdd raid 0
250 gb hdd (currently unused)
one 750 gb (user account location/storage)
4gb ram (could run 8gb but would have to lower my cpu clock from 4ghz)
three 9800 gpus
four monitors (three 22"s and one 19)
and one projector (fith monitor as tv out)

searching via internet I could not find anything like what I want to do.

More about : boot oses time

March 15, 2010 4:40:29 PM

Hmmm,not on the same mobo,with a rack server [several mobo's] you could boot to any number of os'es but I do not think so with only one mobo,and if you do let us know,good luck..:) 
Score
March 15, 2010 4:59:30 PM

It depends what you mean by emulation. If you mean without some type of virtualization, I don't think you can do that on PC hardware. If virtualization is OK you can run multiple operating system at once on PC hardware. VMWare is one way you can accomplish this.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 15, 2010 7:43:59 PM

At the same time, not without virtual machines, but if you mean, dual booting and selecting at startup yes, plenty of tutorials in google.
Score
March 15, 2010 7:54:57 PM

Yes you can, but first you need to install a proper Hypervisor to manage each OS in it's own virtual machine. Google virtualization and read some material.
Score
March 16, 2010 1:14:27 PM

i have vmware and im already dual booted. (win7 xp)

was just wondering if it was possible without using a VM
Score

Best solution

March 16, 2010 1:42:31 PM

no
March 25, 2010 12:31:29 AM

Best answer selected by drogdar.
Score
August 12, 2011 5:50:47 PM

Drogdar said:
i have vmware and im already dual booted. (win7 xp)

was just wondering if it was possible without using a VM

Not to raise a topic from the dead but if you use 32 bit windows look into coLinux. It runs the linux kernel as a process inside Windows. Essentially letting you run linux natively on top of Windows which uses barely any resources and can be used with either an ISO or a physical partition on your hard drive. Now, if you could learn to live with linux and find it to work the same as or better than xp for you then you're set. If not and need 100% xp you have two options. VirtualBox or other virtualization software (what I ended up doing with my internal linux partition since coLinux only works on 32 bit and I only run 64). It's a decent setup since I have my normal Windows 7 desktop on the main workspace and then on a second workspace I have the virtualbox window set on seamless mode. If you have a virtual desktop setup in Windows then this makes it like you're switching OSs at the push of a button. The only other option would be two seperate machines.
Score
a c 411 $ Windows 7
August 12, 2011 6:05:15 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!