Backspace and spacebar keys dont work on my inspiron 1501 laptop

RobertClark333

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501. The backspace, return, and spacebar keys have stopped working. I did a fresh new install of Windows XP and installed all the updates. I bought a new keyboard and installed it and still have the same problem. I reseated the ribbon cable and cleaned the connector as well. I've run the Dell diagnostics disc and it says that the driver is fine and the keyboard is operating properly. I've read through lots of posts on the internet and tired the two main suggestions of taking the battery out and running it directly off the AC power as well as disabling the ATI Polling. Again, neither have worked. I'm at a loss. Any ideas out there?

RobertClark333

Honorable
May 23, 2012

As I mentioned, I installed a brand new keyboard. Same problem with the new keyboard as with the old one.

I missed that on the 2nd run through the thread.

I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas on what's the underlying problem.
You seem to have ruled out any mechanical, cable and data connection problems.

A problem on the motherboard?
Before going there - I think you might want to test the notebook with a different OS just to rule out it's not some strange OS/Windows problem.

You can do that by downloading and burning a LiveCD that has a whole OS on the CD or USB thumb drive.

Ubuntu Desktop
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

After you burn the CD, use the F12 key at power on to boot the CD.
When it comes time to choose Install or Try - use the Try option to have Ubuntu run from the CD. See if you can get the non-working keys to work in Ubuntu.

Dell-Mayank Thakur

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hi,

My name is Mayank and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. It appears to be an issue with the keyboard as suggested earlier by WR2. You can follow the steps mentioned in the following link: http://dell.to/e8GBGf to isolate the issue or else call Dell Technical Support at 800-624-9896 with the Service Tag or the Express Service Code of your computer. Service tag/ Express Service Code is mentioned at the bottom of your of your Inspiron 1501.

Hope that would help to resolve your issue.

Thanks,
Dell-Mayank T