.exe files won't open...none of them

July 3, 2005 2:49:03 PM

First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
(if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from copy
and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
Sceduler.exe". Some of my desktop icons have gone "generic". I can't open
Compuserve, IE, NetZero using their shortcuts. But have managed to get
Compuserve running from the "select a program" pop-up menu. The
Start/Run/.... procedure doesn't work. Everytime i type something there i
get a pop-up window saying "windows cannot open this file" I have tried
regedit from the safe boot with command prompt and was able to determine i
don't have the suspect SirCom Virus, i was unable to do system retore from
the same place. I have tried going to 'kellys-korner line 12 tweak but it
won't function either. Any down load that has an .exe file i can't
open....Any help would be appreciated (If this problen requires OS
reinstall, the only XP home disk i have was used on another computer over
1year ago. Should i be worried about registration?) Note...I had previously
COPIED the following folders, dtmp, I386, setupdlx, sysprep, WINDOWS from my
primary HD to my secondary HD. Again thanks Dave

More about : exe files open

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:20:27 PM

Goto Doug Knox's file association fix site
(http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm) and download the exe fix.

That should reticfy the problem.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
> (if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from
> copy
> and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
> cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
> Sceduler.exe". Some of my desktop icons have gone "generic". I can't
> open
> Compuserve, IE, NetZero using their shortcuts. But have managed to get
> Compuserve running from the "select a program" pop-up menu. The
> Start/Run/.... procedure doesn't work. Everytime i type something there i
> get a pop-up window saying "windows cannot open this file" I have tried
> regedit from the safe boot with command prompt and was able to determine i
> don't have the suspect SirCom Virus, i was unable to do system retore from
> the same place. I have tried going to 'kellys-korner line 12 tweak but it
> won't function either. Any down load that has an .exe file i can't
> open....Any help would be appreciated (If this problen requires OS
> reinstall, the only XP home disk i have was used on another computer over
> 1year ago. Should i be worried about registration?) Note...I had
> previously
> COPIED the following folders, dtmp, I386, setupdlx, sysprep, WINDOWS from
> my
> primary HD to my secondary HD. Again thanks Dave
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:16:00 PM

Hi

Please go to Doug Knox's web site and try the fix for .EXE files:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
> (if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from
> copy
> and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
> cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
> Sceduler.exe". Some of my desktop icons have gone "generic". I can't
> open
> Compuserve, IE, NetZero using their shortcuts. But have managed to get
> Compuserve running from the "select a program" pop-up menu. The
> Start/Run/.... procedure doesn't work. Everytime i type something there i
> get a pop-up window saying "windows cannot open this file" I have tried
> regedit from the safe boot with command prompt and was able to determine i
> don't have the suspect SirCom Virus, i was unable to do system retore from
> the same place. I have tried going to 'kellys-korner line 12 tweak but it
> won't function either. Any down load that has an .exe file i can't
> open....Any help would be appreciated (If this problen requires OS
> reinstall, the only XP home disk i have was used on another computer over
> 1year ago. Should i be worried about registration?) Note...I had
> previously
> COPIED the following folders, dtmp, I386, setupdlx, sysprep, WINDOWS from
> my
> primary HD to my secondary HD. Again thanks Dave
July 4, 2005 12:14:29 AM

dre1x wrote:

> First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
> (if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from copy
> and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
> cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
> Sceduler.exe". [...]

IMO you've got serious hardware problems - especially with RAM memory.
This often causes registry "failures" and file system damage. First of
all run memtest and check other hardware.

--
Regards
Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

!