.exe files won't open...none of them

First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
(if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from copy
and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
Sceduler.exe". Some of my desktop icons have gone "generic". I can't open
Compuserve, IE, NetZero using their shortcuts. But have managed to get
Compuserve running from the "select a program" pop-up menu. The
Start/Run/.... procedure doesn't work. Everytime i type something there i
get a pop-up window saying "windows cannot open this file" I have tried
regedit from the safe boot with command prompt and was able to determine i
don't have the suspect SirCom Virus, i was unable to do system retore from
the same place. I have tried going to 'kellys-korner line 12 tweak but it
won't function either. Any down load that has an .exe file i can't
open....Any help would be appreciated (If this problen requires OS
reinstall, the only XP home disk i have was used on another computer over
1year ago. Should i be worried about registration?) Note...I had previously
COPIED the following folders, dtmp, I386, setupdlx, sysprep, WINDOWS from my
primary HD to my secondary HD. Again thanks Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about files open none them

    Goto Doug Knox's file association fix site
    (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm) and download the exe fix.

    That should reticfy the problem.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "dre1x" <dre1x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
    > (if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from
    > copy
    > and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
    > cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
    > Sceduler.exe". Some of my desktop icons have gone "generic". I can't
    > open
    > Compuserve, IE, NetZero using their shortcuts. But have managed to get
    > Compuserve running from the "select a program" pop-up menu. The
    > Start/Run/.... procedure doesn't work. Everytime i type something there i
    > get a pop-up window saying "windows cannot open this file" I have tried
    > regedit from the safe boot with command prompt and was able to determine i
    > don't have the suspect SirCom Virus, i was unable to do system retore from
    > the same place. I have tried going to 'kellys-korner line 12 tweak but it
    > won't function either. Any down load that has an .exe file i can't
    > open....Any help would be appreciated (If this problen requires OS
    > reinstall, the only XP home disk i have was used on another computer over
    > 1year ago. Should i be worried about registration?) Note...I had
    > previously
    > COPIED the following folders, dtmp, I386, setupdlx, sysprep, WINDOWS from
    > my
    > primary HD to my secondary HD. Again thanks Dave

    Hi

    Please go to Doug Knox's web site and try the fix for .EXE files:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    dre1x wrote:

    > First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
    > (if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from copy
    > and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
    > cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
    > Sceduler.exe". [...]

    IMO you've got serious hardware problems - especially with RAM memory.
    This often causes registry "failures" and file system damage. First of
    all run memtest and check other hardware.

    --
    Regards
    Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

    "Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk" wrote:

    > dre1x wrote:
    >
    > > First, let me say i have read the similar posts. When i start xp home sp2
    > > (if it starts, i get a flag saying windows replaced registry entry from copy
    > > and was successful), i get the following 4 popup windows saying 'windows
    > > cannot open this file...reader_sl.exe, OSA9.exe, web32.exe and PowerReg
    > > Sceduler.exe". [...]
    >
    > IMO you've got serious hardware problems - especially with RAM memory.
    > This often causes registry "failures" and file system damage. First of
    > all run memtest and check other hardware.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk
    > Thanks 'Black Fox'. I believe you were right. After alot of fooling around, i removed one stick of 256mb ram and was able to reload system, prior to that i could not get the OS to load without random 'shutdown' and various error screens. I should have tried that before re-installing the whole system, but, oh well, a good opportunity to 'clean-up' the whole computer. Thanks Dave (dre1x)

Windows XP