Activation ???

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's

1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
13 answers Last reply
More about activation
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    1. Yes

    2. Not if you also use PC3200 DDR RAM

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "barrowhill" wrote:

    | My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    | running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
    | cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    | components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    |
    | 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    | 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Carey,

    Thanks for reply. I've yet to study the detail associated with links, but
    a couple of points.

    On "blown" system I've two caddied HDD's. Primary HDD runs XP Home SP +
    Full updates. Secondary HDD is Acronis Image of Boot HDD in case of HDD
    problems.

    1. With regard activation, I thought I was allowed 'x' number (6?) of
    hardware changes before re-activation required. I'm changing a damaged mobo
    but using all other hardware components (except CPU/mem). Does a change of
    mobo constitute re-activation by default ?

    2. A quick look at link detail implies I will have to boot from CD and do
    "repair" install of existing XP installation. It appears this will wipe out
    SP1 and SP2 updates and obvioulsy all since SP2 . Is this correct ? How do I
    install, (or can't I) my fully updated HDD to new mobo without having to
    re-install all the updates.?


    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > 1. Yes
    >
    > 2. Not if you also use PC3200 DDR RAM
    >
    > Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "barrowhill" wrote:
    >
    > | My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    > | running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
    > | cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    > | components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    > |
    > | 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    > | 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    > |
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Carey,

    Just realised having disgested more of the link info. I noted the
    following........

    "Advisory: Changing an OEM XP system motherboard to a non-factory
    replacement motherboard or moving a hard drive with OEM XP preinstalled to a
    non-OEM system is not advised. Besides the possibility of being in
    non-compliance with the OEM EULA, and the practice of OEM's electing to
    provide a set of restore disks or hidden restore folders on the hard drive to
    satisfy Microsoft's restore requirement. The lack of a proper bootable XP CD
    will not allow a repair install to configure XP to the new hardware. "

    I assume both the above are true in my case. The PC is manufactured by
    Medion and the mobo is stamped Medion 3000. The HDD definetely has OEM XP
    installed (Home version) and I only have recovery disc. What are my options
    if any or am I stuffed ????


    I've just realised that my version of

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > 1. Yes
    >
    > 2. Not if you also use PC3200 DDR RAM
    >
    > Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "barrowhill" wrote:
    >
    > | My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    > | running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
    > | cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    > | components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    > |
    > | 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    > | 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    > |
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    barrowhill wrote:
    > My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    > running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
    > cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    > components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    >
    > 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?


    After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.


    > 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    >

    We've absolutely no way of knowing, as you've failed to mention the
    specific brand, model, and BIOS revision version of the new motherboard.
    Consult the motherboard's manual for this information.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    barrowhill wrote:
    > Carey,
    >
    > Thanks for reply. I've yet to study the detail associated with links, but
    > a couple of points.
    >
    > On "blown" system I've two caddied HDD's. Primary HDD runs XP Home SP +
    > Full updates. Secondary HDD is Acronis Image of Boot HDD in case of HDD
    > problems.
    >
    > 1. With regard activation, I thought I was allowed 'x' number (6?) of
    > hardware changes before re-activation required. I'm changing a damaged mobo
    > but using all other hardware components (except CPU/mem). Does a change of
    > mobo constitute re-activation by default ?
    >

    Perhaps not, if you were to replace the defective motherboard with one
    of an identical make/model, depending upon any additional integrated
    components. However, you're performing an action that mandates at least
    a repair installation of the OS, and the will most likely need activation.


    > 2. A quick look at link detail implies I will have to boot from CD and do
    > "repair" install of existing XP installation. It appears this will wipe out
    > SP1 and SP2 updates and obvioulsy all since SP2 . Is this correct ? How do I
    > install, (or can't I) my fully updated HDD to new mobo without having to
    > re-install all the updates.?


    You'll need to create an installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed into the
    original installation files.

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:67AC3F05-AB4A-449A-BB86-F772BA04C7FF@microsoft.com...
    > My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    > running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 +
    > Fan
    > cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    > components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    >
    > 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    > 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    >

    1. You won't know until you try it.

    2. Using the slower RAM (PC2700), in conjunction with the newer and faster
    RAM, will make any RAM access run at the speed of the older RAM. In effect
    you will not be getting the advanced speed of your PC3200.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Richard,

    Thanks for reply. Your answer confimed my suspicions on memory issue


    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:67AC3F05-AB4A-449A-BB86-F772BA04C7FF@microsoft.com...
    > > My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    > > running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 +
    > > Fan
    > > cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    > > components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    > >
    > > 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    > > 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    > >
    >
    > 1. You won't know until you try it.
    >
    > 2. Using the slower RAM (PC2700), in conjunction with the newer and faster
    > RAM, will make any RAM access run at the speed of the older RAM. In effect
    > you will not be getting the advanced speed of your PC3200.
    >
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    If I were you, I would make a new Windows XP CD with SP2
    slipstreamed, then perform a "Repair Install".

    Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
    (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

    Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    or

    AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    As far as Product Activation, see the following:

    Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    [by the late, and utmost respected, MS-MVP Alex Nichol]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "barrowhill" wrote:

    | Carey,
    |
    | Thanks for reply. I've yet to study the detail associated with links, but
    | a couple of points.
    |
    | On "blown" system I've two caddied HDD's. Primary HDD runs XP Home SP +
    | Full updates. Secondary HDD is Acronis Image of Boot HDD in case of HDD
    | problems.
    |
    | 1. With regard activation, I thought I was allowed 'x' number (6?) of
    | hardware changes before re-activation required. I'm changing a damaged mobo
    | but using all other hardware components (except CPU/mem). Does a change of
    | mobo constitute re-activation by default ?
    |
    | 2. A quick look at link detail implies I will have to boot from CD and do
    | "repair" install of existing XP installation. It appears this will wipe out
    | SP1 and SP2 updates and obvioulsy all since SP2 . Is this correct ? How do I
    | install, (or can't I) my fully updated HDD to new mobo without having to
    | re-install all the updates.?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Your options are:

    1. Contact Medion and purchase an identical motherboard replacement.

    or

    2. Purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP since the Medion recovery
    CD will not work anymore if you install a different motherboard. The reason
    is the BIOS would be different with a different model motherboard and the
    Medion recovery CD will halt because the correct BIOS is not detected.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "barrowhill" wrote:

    | Carey,
    |
    | Just realised having disgested more of the link info. I noted the
    | following........
    |
    | "Advisory: Changing an OEM XP system motherboard to a non-factory
    | replacement motherboard or moving a hard drive with OEM XP preinstalled to a
    | non-OEM system is not advised. Besides the possibility of being in
    | non-compliance with the OEM EULA, and the practice of OEM's electing to
    | provide a set of restore disks or hidden restore folders on the hard drive to
    | satisfy Microsoft's restore requirement. The lack of a proper bootable XP CD
    | will not allow a repair install to configure XP to the new hardware. "
    |
    | I assume both the above are true in my case. The PC is manufactured by
    | Medion and the mobo is stamped Medion 3000. The HDD definetely has OEM XP
    | installed (Home version) and I only have recovery disc. What are my options
    | if any or am I stuffed ????
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:57:44 -0600, Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > barrowhill wrote:
    >> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    >> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
    >> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    >> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    >>
    >> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    >
    >
    > After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.

    <snip>

    Recently changed a faulty motherboard with a new one (Soltek) done a
    repair installation afterwards and everything worked fine, no
    programmes or data lost. I was using Windows XP Home OEM (SP1) but
    slipstreamed with (SP2) before doing the upgrade.

    I was not asked to activate after the upgrade.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    No !


    "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OP%23Y%23GAgFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:67AC3F05-AB4A-449A-BB86-F772BA04C7FF@microsoft.com...
    >> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
    >> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 +
    >> Fan
    >> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    >> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    >>
    >> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    >> 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
    >>
    >
    > 1. You won't know until you try it.
    >
    > 2. Using the slower RAM (PC2700), in conjunction with the newer and faster
    > RAM, will make any RAM access run at the speed of the older RAM. In effect
    > you will not be getting the advanced speed of your PC3200.
    >
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    To let you know that I replaced my mother board with a different kind and
    activation required only a phone call. No other problems with activation of
    XP.


    "JayJay" <jayjay@jayjaynospam.invalid> wrote in message
    news:7k50cj5sb5dp.1nxve4keot7jp.dlg@40tude.net...
    > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:57:44 -0600, Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >
    >> barrowhill wrote:
    >>> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently
    >>> (was)
    >>> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4
    >>> + Fan
    >>> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    >>> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    >>>
    >>> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    >>
    >>
    >> After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Recently changed a faulty motherboard with a new one (Soltek) done a
    > repair installation afterwards and everything worked fine, no
    > programmes or data lost. I was using Windows XP Home OEM (SP1) but
    > slipstreamed with (SP2) before doing the upgrade.
    >
    > I was not asked to activate after the upgrade.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    n Richard, Thanks for reply.

    Can you tell me whether you have the Recovery Disc as supplied by OEM's or
    have full version of XP.

    I can't get any joy out of OEM for same or compatible board, so looks like
    It will be new board. Existing HDD has XP home fully updated plus all my
    other programs. I also have a image (month old) on seperate HDD. I assume
    I won't be able to boot from HDD once new board installed and that I'll have
    to repair install XP such that I don't lose existing programs etc. I assume
    I'll have to download and re-install SP1 + SP2 + subsequent hotfixes. That
    will be a pain !!!


    "Richard" wrote:

    > To let you know that I replaced my mother board with a different kind and
    > activation required only a phone call. No other problems with activation of
    > XP.
    >
    >
    >
    > "JayJay" <jayjay@jayjaynospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:7k50cj5sb5dp.1nxve4keot7jp.dlg@40tude.net...
    > > On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:57:44 -0600, Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > >
    > >> barrowhill wrote:
    > >>> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently
    > >>> (was)
    > >>> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4
    > >>> + Fan
    > >>> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
    > >>> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
    > >>>
    > >>> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Recently changed a faulty motherboard with a new one (Soltek) done a
    > > repair installation afterwards and everything worked fine, no
    > > programmes or data lost. I was using Windows XP Home OEM (SP1) but
    > > slipstreamed with (SP2) before doing the upgrade.
    > >
    > > I was not asked to activate after the upgrade.
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP