Activation ???

My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's

1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo

1. Yes

2. Not if you also use PC3200 DDR RAM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"barrowhill" wrote:

| My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
| running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
| cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
| components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
|
| 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
| 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo

Carey,

Thanks for reply. I've yet to study the detail associated with links, but
a couple of points.

On "blown" system I've two caddied HDD's. Primary HDD runs XP Home SP +
Full updates. Secondary HDD is Acronis Image of Boot HDD in case of HDD
problems.

1. With regard activation, I thought I was allowed 'x' number (6?) of
hardware changes before re-activation required. I'm changing a damaged mobo
but using all other hardware components (except CPU/mem). Does a change of
mobo constitute re-activation by default ?

2. A quick look at link detail implies I will have to boot from CD and do
"repair" install of existing XP installation. It appears this will wipe out
SP1 and SP2 updates and obvioulsy all since SP2 . Is this correct ? How do I
install, (or can't I) my fully updated HDD to new mobo without having to
re-install all the updates.?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Yes
>
> 2. Not if you also use PC3200 DDR RAM
>
> Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "barrowhill" wrote:
>
> | My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
> | running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
> | cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
> | components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
> |
> | 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
> | 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo

Carey,

Just realised having disgested more of the link info. I noted the
following........

"Advisory: Changing an OEM XP system motherboard to a non-factory
replacement motherboard or moving a hard drive with OEM XP preinstalled to a
non-OEM system is not advised. Besides the possibility of being in
non-compliance with the OEM EULA, and the practice of OEM's electing to
provide a set of restore disks or hidden restore folders on the hard drive to
satisfy Microsoft's restore requirement. The lack of a proper bootable XP CD
will not allow a repair install to configure XP to the new hardware. "

I assume both the above are true in my case. The PC is manufactured by
Medion and the mobo is stamped Medion 3000. The HDD definetely has OEM XP
installed (Home version) and I only have recovery disc. What are my options
if any or am I stuffed ????

I've just realised that my version of

barrowhill wrote:
> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
>
> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?

After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.

> 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo

We've absolutely no way of knowing, as you've failed to mention the
specific brand, model, and BIOS revision version of the new motherboard.
Consult the motherboard's manual for this information.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

barrowhill wrote:
> Carey,
>
> Thanks for reply. I've yet to study the detail associated with links, but
> a couple of points.
>
> On "blown" system I've two caddied HDD's. Primary HDD runs XP Home SP +
> Full updates. Secondary HDD is Acronis Image of Boot HDD in case of HDD
> problems.
>
> 1. With regard activation, I thought I was allowed 'x' number (6?) of
> hardware changes before re-activation required. I'm changing a damaged mobo
> but using all other hardware components (except CPU/mem). Does a change of
> mobo constitute re-activation by default ?

Perhaps not, if you were to replace the defective motherboard with one
of an identical make/model, depending upon any additional integrated
components. However, you're performing an action that mandates at least
a repair installation of the OS, and the will most likely need activation.

> 2. A quick look at link detail implies I will have to boot from CD and do
> "repair" install of existing XP installation. It appears this will wipe out
> SP1 and SP2 updates and obvioulsy all since SP2 . Is this correct ? How do I
> install, (or can't I) my fully updated HDD to new mobo without having to
> re-install all the updates.?

You'll need to create an installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed into the
original installation files.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 +
> Fan
> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
>
> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
> 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo

1. You won't know until you try it.

2. Using the slower RAM (PC2700), in conjunction with the newer and faster
RAM, will make any RAM access run at the speed of the older RAM. In effect
you will not be getting the advanced speed of your PC3200.

Richard,

Thanks for reply. Your answer confimed my suspicions on memory issue

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
> > running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 +
> > Fan
> > cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
> > components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
> >
> > 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
> > 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
> >

> 1. You won't know until you try it.
>
> 2. Using the slower RAM (PC2700), in conjunction with the newer and faster
> RAM, will make any RAM access run at the speed of the older RAM. In effect
> you will not be getting the advanced speed of your PC3200.

If I were you, I would make a new Windows XP CD with SP2
slipstreamed, then perform a "Repair Install".

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

As far as Product Activation, see the following:

Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

[by the late, and utmost respected, MS-MVP Alex Nichol]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"barrowhill" wrote:

| Carey,
|
| Thanks for reply. I've yet to study the detail associated with links, but
| a couple of points.
|
| On "blown" system I've two caddied HDD's. Primary HDD runs XP Home SP +
| Full updates. Secondary HDD is Acronis Image of Boot HDD in case of HDD
| problems.
|
| 1. With regard activation, I thought I was allowed 'x' number (6?) of
| hardware changes before re-activation required. I'm changing a damaged mobo
| but using all other hardware components (except CPU/mem). Does a change of
| mobo constitute re-activation by default ?
|
| 2. A quick look at link detail implies I will have to boot from CD and do
| "repair" install of existing XP installation. It appears this will wipe out
| SP1 and SP2 updates and obvioulsy all since SP2 . Is this correct ? How do I
| install, (or can't I) my fully updated HDD to new mobo without having to
| re-install all the updates.?

Your options are:

1. Contact Medion and purchase an identical motherboard replacement.

or

2. Purchase a new "Full Version" of Windows XP since the Medion recovery
CD will not work anymore if you install a different motherboard. The reason
is the BIOS would be different with a different model motherboard and the
Medion recovery CD will halt because the correct BIOS is not detected.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:57:44 -0600, Bruce Chambers wrote:

> barrowhill wrote:
>> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
>> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 + Fan
>> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
>> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
>>
>> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
>

> After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.

<snip>

Recently changed a faulty motherboard with a new one (Soltek) done a
repair installation afterwards and everything worked fine, no
programmes or data lost. I was using Windows XP Home OEM (SP1) but
slipstreamed with (SP2) before doing the upgrade.

I was not asked to activate after the upgrade.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

No !

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently (was)
>> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4 +
>> Fan
>> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
>> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
>>
>> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
>> 2. Will PC2700 (512MB) be useable with new mobo
>>

> 1. You won't know until you try it.
>
> 2. Using the slower RAM (PC2700), in conjunction with the newer and faster
> RAM, will make any RAM access run at the speed of the older RAM. In effect
> you will not be getting the advanced speed of your PC3200.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

To let you know that I replaced my mother board with a different kind and
activation required only a phone call. No other problems with activation of
XP.

"JayJay" <jayjay@jayjaynospam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:57:44 -0600, Bruce Chambers wrote:
>
>> barrowhill wrote:
>>> My motherboard has packed up so I'll need to replace it. Currently
>>> (was)
>>> running 1.6G P4 + PC2700 DDR but intend to get mobo bundle with 3.2G P4
>>> + Fan
>>> cooler+ 1GB PC3200 DDR. I intend to use all other existing hardware
>>> components.; sound card, graphics card, LAN card and HDD's
>>>
>>> 1. Will reactivation be necessary when new mobo installed ?
>>

>> After performing a repair installation, almost certainly.
>
> <snip>
>
> Recently changed a faulty motherboard with a new one (Soltek) done a
> repair installation afterwards and everything worked fine, no
> programmes or data lost. I was using Windows XP Home OEM (SP1) but
> slipstreamed with (SP2) before doing the upgrade.
>
> I was not asked to activate after the upgrade.

n Richard, Thanks for reply.

Can you tell me whether you have the Recovery Disc as supplied by OEM's or
have full version of XP.

I can't get any joy out of OEM for same or compatible board, so looks like
It will be new board. Existing HDD has XP home fully updated plus all my
other programs. I also have a image (month old) on seperate HDD. I assume
I won't be able to boot from HDD once new board installed and that I'll have
to repair install XP such that I don't lose existing programs etc. I assume
I'll have to download and re-install SP1 + SP2 + subsequent hotfixes. That
will be a pain !!!