Hero System 5th Edition Champions!?!?!

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Hello all,

I am hoping someone will be willing to help me and take pity on me. I
have not played Champions in many many years. Now, I have been invited
to play in a Hero System 5th edition Champions game. I have the Hero
Builder software, but I am alittle lost how much depth there is with
making someone. Peaks, Talents, powers...it is too much. I was given
250 points + 125 disadventages

I am hoping somewhere out there, there is someone who likes making Hero
System Characters and is willing to make me a super-hero character. I
am not picky, used to read Marvel, DC, Image, Top Cow, Chaos, Vertigo.

Yes, I know it is sad and pitful, much like my spelling...

Can always email it to my gmail account.

Or, does anyone know any sites that have some characters on them,
Marvel, DC, Top Cow etc....

Many, many thanks,
WickerMan

<jebnapier@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am hoping someone will be willing to help me and take pity on me. I
> have not played Champions in many many years. Now, I have been invited
> to play in a Hero System 5th edition Champions game. I have the Hero
> Builder software, but I am alittle lost how much depth there is with
> making someone. Peaks, Talents, powers...it is too much. I was given
> 250 points + 125 disadventages
>
> I am hoping somewhere out there, there is someone who likes making Hero
> System Characters and is willing to make me a super-hero character. I
> am not picky, used to read Marvel, DC, Image, Top Cow, Chaos, Vertigo.
>
> Yes, I know it is sad and pitful, much like my spelling...
>
> Can always email it to my gmail account.
>
> Or, does anyone know any sites that have some characters on them,
> Marvel, DC, Top Cow etc....
>
> Many, many thanks,
> WickerMan

What kind of hero? Blaster, Psi, Brick, Speedster, something else????

On 18 May 2005 16:59:29 -0700, jebnapier@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I am hoping someone will be willing to help me and take pity on me. I
>have not played Champions in many many years. Now, I have been invited
>to play in a Hero System 5th edition Champions game. I have the Hero
>Builder software, but I am alittle lost how much depth there is with
>making someone. Peaks, Talents, powers...it is too much. I was given
>250 points + 125 disadventages
>
>I am hoping somewhere out there, there is someone who likes making Hero
>System Characters and is willing to make me a super-hero character.

Don't start with mechanics. There are some games where you look
through the mechanics, and say "Hey, that mechanic's cool, I want to
build a character around that mechanic." Hero has no cool mechanics.

It's all utilitarian and painted gray. Start with a character.
Imagine a character you'd like to play. Get a firm picture of what he
does, what he looks like, what's his personality and private life. If
you can't make it up out of whole cloth, then one thing I like to do
is take a supervillain I'm familiar with, and try to imagine what he
would be like if he was a superhero instead. Or you can just start
looking through a dictionary until you find a word or a couple of
words that sounds good as a superhero alias and figure out what a
character with with that name would be likely to be like.

Then start worrying about talents and powers. If you want, come up
with the idea, post it, and then we'll do the mechanics stuff.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Hello,

My first throught for a character was someone who just had
regeneration, l would call him Mister Immortal or such. The whole point
of him would be to get the stuffing beat out of him and he would just
come back. I was thinking that he would be alot of fun to rp, jumping
off buildings and such. Showing no fear at everything he does. Should
be good for alot of laughs. However, after looking at the Hero Builder
I figured I was in over my head.

My second thought is a blaster type character, somekind of energy
generation. I dug through some boxes of old characters, I had a
character from years ago which had these gems and each one had a
different energy type of attack. He was a mix between the Green Lantern
and the Mandrian.

I also thought about perhaps a shape-changer. Marvel's Sandman has
always been a personal favorite of mine..

Thanks,
WickerMan

On 20 May 2005 10:35:19 -0700, jebnapier@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My first throught for a character was someone who just had
>regeneration, l would call him Mister Immortal or such. The whole point
>of him would be to get the stuffing beat out of him and he would just
>come back. I was thinking that he would be alot of fun to rp, jumping
>off buildings and such. Showing no fear at everything he does. Should
>be good for alot of laughs. However, after looking at the Hero Builder
>I figured I was in over my head.

For this concept, Healing Regeneration is an obvious power choice.
Here are some less obvious possibilities: lots of defense, at least
some of it resistant (otherwise it doesn't protect against killing
attacks). The SFX of this defense is that you only LOOK like you're
getting badly beat up, but you take much less actual damage. The
Damage Reduction power is also good for this, since it lets you ignore
25%, 50% or 75% of the damage that hits you.

Other good things to use: high Recovery for a fast bounce-back. Extra
Stun with a limitation: only to determine recovery rate from being
knocked out. Healing Regeneration has an option for regenerating from
death. If the GM doesn't want that in his game, buy extra Body with a
limitation: only to prevent death. Life Support is a good power, for
immunity to poison or disease or temperature or pressure, or a reduced
need to breathe.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

jebnapier@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
> I am hoping somewhere out there, there is someone who likes making Hero
> System Characters and is willing to make me a super-hero character. I
> am not picky, used to read Marvel, DC, Image, Top Cow, Chaos, Vertigo.
>
> Yes, I know it is sad and pitful, much like my spelling...
>
> Can always email it to my gmail account.
>
> Or, does anyone know any sites that have some characters on them,
> Marvel, DC, Top Cow etc....

Ask your GM. It is his *duty* to help you. If he is
neglectful of that duty (or - worse - if he is unaware of
it) do *not* play in his campaign.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

David Johnston wrote:
[...]
> Don't start with mechanics. There are some games where you look
> through the mechanics, and say "Hey, that mechanic's cool, I want to
> build a character around that mechanic." Hero has no cool mechanics.

I disagree. Hero System 5th Edition has lots of cool
Limitations, which strike me as worth building a character
around.

None of them are very surprising (to anyone who has given
significant thought to the issue of character creation
systems), but some are cool.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

jebnapier@gmail.com wrote:
> My first throught for a character was someone who just had
> regeneration, l would call him Mister Immortal or such. The whole point

A general problem with that character concept type (general
as in it applies to all genres and styles of roleplaying
gaming, not just to superheroics or to Champions) is that it
is a passive ability. Passive even in a sense that various
Detection Powers aren't.

And characters with passive abilities are boring to play. So
make sure to put some active abilities into your character
as well. That could be Detects, or Skills, or perhaps melee
damage (I don't think ranged damage fits the concept well).
Or perhaps a limited ability to heal others.

> of him would be to get the stuffing beat out of him and he would just
> come back. I was thinking that he would be alot of fun to rp, jumping
> off buildings and such. Showing no fear at everything he does. Should
> be good for alot of laughs. However, after looking at the Hero Builder
> I figured I was in over my head.
>
> My second thought is a blaster type character, somekind of energy
> generation. I dug through some boxes of old characters, I had a
> character from years ago which had these gems and each one had a
> different energy type of attack. He was a mix between the Green Lantern
> and the Mandrian.
>
> I also thought about perhaps a shape-changer. Marvel's Sandman has
> always been a personal favorite of mine..

Why not combine some kind of quick Regeneration with
shape-changing? That might be a fun concept to play...

Perhaps he *has* to change shape, in order to regenerate,
and he cannot return to a damaged shape without that damage
returning?

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Peter Knutsen (usenet) wrote:
> jebnapier@gmail.com wrote:

>> I am hoping somewhere out there, there is someone who likes making Hero
>> System Characters and is willing to make me a super-hero character. I
>> am not picky, used to read Marvel, DC, Image, Top Cow, Chaos, Vertigo.
>>
>> Yes, I know it is sad and pitful, much like my spelling...
>>
>> Can always email it to my gmail account.
>>
>> Or, does anyone know any sites that have some characters on them,
>> Marvel, DC, Top Cow etc....
>
> Ask your GM. It is his *duty* to help you. If he is
> neglectful of that duty (or - worse - if he is unaware of
> it) do *not* play in his campaign.

A GM should definitely help a player make a character... but there are
limits to how much can be expected. As a GM, I'm more than happy to help a
player with game mechanics, even to the extent of building a character for
him/her from an idea. I'm willing to help with brainstorming of character
ideas.

What I *won't* do, however, is come up with a character idea *for* them.
Someone who wants to play should be willing to put *some* kind of effort
into character creation. "Make me a character" isn't enough.

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 02:20:06 GMT, Travis Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
drained his beer, leaned back in the rec.games.frp.super-heroes
beanbag and drunkenly proclaimed the following

>What I *won't* do, however, is come up with a character idea *for* them.
>Someone who wants to play should be willing to put *some* kind of effort
>into character creation. "Make me a character" isn't enough.

Amen! I'm something of a Hero guru, and have no problem taking
vaguely formed ideas and working with the player to customize the
mechanics to a fine fit("I want to be a real fast runner." "OK, here's
how we can do that..") but anyone who just asks me to make a character
is going to end up Balloon Animal Man, with the ability to control
balloon animals with the slightest wave of his hand!
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I actually think that the referee needs to be a participant in the
conceptual process, not just the mechanics.

Reasons:
1. He can head off sillyness like "I want to be able to fly, and lift he
eifful tower (sic) and Teleport and mind control people and cast magic
spells and turn into a dinosaur. Oh, and he should be real good looking,
too". This was actually submitted once (by a 23-year old player new to the
system) as a proposed PC for him to play. In other words, he can ensure that
the character has some consistancy of concept.

2. He can ensure that the character concept has enough depth to be able to
withstand years of play.

3. He can ensure that the character will fit into the world where the
adventures will take place. "A world where the boundaries between Heaven and
Hell have broken down and Earth is caught in the middle" won't exactly fit
very well with a bastard son of Hercules.

4. He can ensure that the different player's character concepts don't step
on each other's toes, but bring some point of uniqueness to the group. This
is less of an issue these days, but when I started GMing Champions, 3
different players proposed Wolvering clones as their PCs.

5. Finally, the referee can begin immediatly thinking about how the
Characters will interact with the storylines he has planned, and how he can
connect the Characters to the dastardly plots that are about to unfold. I
have seen one campaign fold (Not mine) because the players had no way of
discovering what was going on; they just went about their daily routines,
ignoring any clues that didn't fit their character's interests, until the
villainous plot succeeded. And then proclaimed the game boring and left to
play in other people's campaigns.

Mike

Mike Bourke wrote:
> I actually think that the referee needs to be a participant in the
> conceptual process, not just the mechanics.

I don't.

> Reasons:
> 1. He can head off sillyness like "I want to be able to fly, and lift he
> eifful tower (sic) and Teleport and mind control people and cast magic
> spells and turn into a dinosaur. Oh, and he should be real good looking,

Cowshit!. Since the character is created on a limited point
budget, such excesses are *automatically* prevented.

> too". This was actually submitted once (by a 23-year old player new to the
> system) as a proposed PC for him to play. In other words, he can ensure that
> the character has some consistancy of concept.

Well-designed character creation rules can ensure
consistency of concept, without any need for GM meddling.

> 2. He can ensure that the character concept has enough depth to be able to
> withstand years of play.

So can player intelligence. Experienced players have *no*
*need* for help in this department, so a GM who insists on
meddling is insulting the player's intelligence.

> 3. He can ensure that the character will fit into the world where the
> adventures will take place. "A world where the boundaries between Heaven and

He can also achieve this by providing the player with a good
description of the campaign world, *before* the player sits
down with the rule book to create his character.

> Hell have broken down and Earth is caught in the middle" won't exactly fit
> very well with a bastard son of Hercules.
>
> 4. He can ensure that the different player's character concepts don't step
> on each other's toes, but bring some point of uniqueness to the group. This

No need for GM meddling here *either*. The players can
handle this among themselves. Or they can not, in which case
we have Darwinism in action, which is a fine thing (and
highly educational for the players).

> is less of an issue these days, but when I started GMing Champions, 3
> different players proposed Wolvering clones as their PCs.
>
> 5. Finally, the referee can begin immediatly thinking about how the
> Characters will interact with the storylines he has planned, and how he can

BEEP!

We're talking about a *game*. There *is* no story. There is
a world, and there are motivated characters in that world.
But in no way is the GM entitled to "plan a storyline".

> connect the Characters to the dastardly plots that are about to unfold. I
> have seen one campaign fold (Not mine) because the players had no way of
> discovering what was going on; they just went about their daily routines,
> ignoring any clues that didn't fit their character's interests, until the
> villainous plot succeeded. And then proclaimed the game boring and left to
> play in other people's campaigns.

Both players and GMs were at fault.

The players failed to create characters who had motivations
and ambitions (or did they? Maybe they created characters
who were brimming with ambitions and motivations, it just so
happened that the characters wanted to engage the campaign
world in other ways than what the GM has planned?!?!).

And the GM misunderstood his duties and his rights, when he
spent time and effort planning future events (a "story").

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 23:49:36 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

>Mike Bourke wrote:
>> I actually think that the referee needs to be a participant in the
>> conceptual process, not just the mechanics.
>
>I don't.
>
>> Reasons:
>> 1. He can head off sillyness like "I want to be able to fly, and lift he
>> eifful tower (sic) and Teleport and mind control people and cast magic
>> spells and turn into a dinosaur. Oh, and he should be real good looking,
>
>Cowshit!. Since the character is created on a limited point
>budget, such excesses are *automatically* prevented.

Riiiiight. Nobody could ever design Landlord or Nova Boy. A limited
point budget will prevent that kind of thing.

>> 2. He can ensure that the character concept has enough depth to be able to
>> withstand years of play.
>
>So can player intelligence. Experienced players have *no*
>*need* for help in this department,

The original poster is definitely not an experienced player.

>> is less of an issue these days, but when I started GMing Champions, 3
>> different players proposed Wolvering clones as their PCs.
>>
>> 5. Finally, the referee can begin immediatly thinking about how the
>> Characters will interact with the storylines he has planned, and how he can
>
>BEEP!
>
>We're talking about a *game*. There *is* no story.

There is however a cast of characters who need to do things that will
plausibly catch the attention of the the PCs, and the connections
between those people or what they are doing, and the PCs is something
that the GM is well advised to give some thought to.

>> connect the Characters to the dastardly plots that are about to unfold. I
>> have seen one campaign fold (Not mine) because the players had no way of
>> discovering what was going on; they just went about their daily routines,
>> ignoring any clues that didn't fit their character's interests, until the
>> villainous plot succeeded. And then proclaimed the game boring and left to
>> play in other people's campaigns.
>
>Both players and GMs were at fault.
>
>The players failed to create characters who had motivations
>and ambitions (or did they? Maybe they created characters
>who were brimming with ambitions and motivations, it just so
>happened that the characters wanted to engage the campaign
>world in other ways than what the GM has planned?!?!).
>
>And the GM misunderstood his duties and his rights, when he
>spent time and effort planning future events (a "story").

That GM was doing _exactly_ what you recommend. He was letting the
players do what they wanted to do while his villains did what his
villains wanted to do. So how was the GM at fault?

>--
>Peter Knutsen
>sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Hello all,

I have finished my character and he is a brisk 250 points with 100
points of disadventages. I have since dropped the regeneration and gone
onto shapeshifting and generation. Thank you for all the help, I ended
up going back to the GM and having him help me.

Many many thanks,
WickerMan