Chkdsk log size

Hi all!
As you know, after a pre-boot chkdsk has performed, the log is available on
Application Events, inside a Winlogon item.
The problem is that the max size of a single log is 16kB. More than enough
when everything is ok (i.e. when you aren't interested in viewing it), but
too small when your disk has some problems, and the list of involved files
may be very long.
Is there a way to increase the max size of a log? Or, alternatively, in
chksdk options can you specify a text file as log output?
Many thanks in advance!
10 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk size

    Hi,

    Start/run eventvwr.msc, then click ok. Click on system, then on
    action/properties. Increase the size of hte log here.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Fanboy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    > As you know, after a pre-boot chkdsk has performed, the log is available
    > on
    > Application Events, inside a Winlogon item.
    > The problem is that the max size of a single log is 16kB. More than enough
    > when everything is ok (i.e. when you aren't interested in viewing it), but
    > too small when your disk has some problems, and the list of involved files
    > may be very long.
    > Is there a way to increase the max size of a log? Or, alternatively, in
    > chksdk options can you specify a text file as log output?
    > Many thanks in advance!

    Table 27.3 - Chkdsk Parameters
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_xudm.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hi,
    >
    > Start/run eventvwr.msc, then click ok. Click on system, then on
    > action/properties. Increase the size of hte log here.

    Thanks, but it seems referring to the total size of the registry (512kB for
    default).
    I'd like to know how to increase the max size of the log for a single event
    (16kB for default)

    Hi,

    1) The line to change is "total log size: ___" (note the use of the word
    'log').

    2) What makes you think that line has anything to do with the registry?

    3) The registry is much, much larger than 512kb.

    --

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Start/run eventvwr.msc, then click ok. Click on system, then on
    >> action/properties. Increase the size of hte log here.
    >
    > Thanks, but it seems referring to the total size of the registry (512kB
    > for
    > default).
    > I'd like to know how to increase the max size of the log for a single
    > event
    > (16kB for default)

    Hi Fanboy,

    Actually I agree with Rick about the way to change the event log size. But
    I noticed that you may not faced such a problem with Event Log Size, so
    please tell us the situation you faced in detail. And I also appreciate
    Carey providing information about Chkdsk Parameters, you may follow the
    article to see if they fit your goals.

    Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    > Hi,
    >
    > 1) The line to change is "total log size: ___" (note the use of the word
    > 'log').
    >
    > 2) What makes you think that line has anything to do with the registry?
    >
    > 3) The registry is much, much larger than 512kb.

    Sorry, it was a ambiguous translation in the english "log". Surely I knew
    that it couldn't be THAT registry. :)
    Anyway it doesn't change what I mean: you can set the TOTAL size, not the
    size for a single log.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Table 27.3 - Chkdsk Parameters

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_xudm.asp

    I tried the "/l" parameter, and it says that my log size is 64 MB... so it
    must be something else.
    Anyway I didn't even know where that log is stored... :(

    "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hi Fanboy,
    >
    > Actually I agree with Rick about the way to change the event log size. But
    > I noticed that you may not faced such a problem with Event Log Size, so
    > please tell us the situation you faced in detail.

    Yes, thanks Vincent.
    After I saw some disk errors in my system events report, I decided to run
    chkdsk (reboot was necessary).
    During the scan, many lines were displayed reporting several problems on my
    disk. I didn't worried about reading or writing anything, since I knew that
    a log had to be stored somewhere.
    When, after Windows reboot, I looked for it (i.e. in Application Events,
    under Winlogon item) I discovered that it wasn't complete. It was cut after
    about 16kB (because that's the size of the txt file where I copied the log
    into).
    So this is my request: where (and if) I can set a bigger size for any single
    log.
    Regards.

    > where I copied the log into).

    Ops, "where I pasted".

    Hello,

    I think I got your idea.

    Actually when Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its
    output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked.
    The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the
    Application Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is
    recorded as follows:

    Event ID: 1001
    Source: Winlogon
    volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
    against.
    Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or because
    the dirty bit was set.

    So you know,the log in event log is a detailed one.But as a workaround ,you
    can make a log manually via following steps:

    1. When you boot up,cancel the autochk.

    2. Paste this into a command prompt and run it: CHKDSK C: /F >
    C:\CHKDISKLOG.TXT

    3. After CHKDSK has run paste this in Start | Run:C:\CHKDISKLOG.TXT

    4. You would be able to see the log.

    Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup, I hope my suggestions helps.

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Fanboy" <nospam@hotmail.com>
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    | Subject: Re: Chkdsk log size
    | Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:29:42 GMT
    |

    | "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel
    messaggio
    | > Hi Fanboy,
    | >
    | > Actually I agree with Rick about the way to change the event log size.
    But
    | > I noticed that you may not faced such a problem with Event Log Size, so
    | > please tell us the situation you faced in detail.
    |
    | Yes, thanks Vincent.
    | After I saw some disk errors in my system events report, I decided to run
    | chkdsk (reboot was necessary).
    | During the scan, many lines were displayed reporting several problems on
    my
    | disk. I didn't worried about reading or writing anything, since I knew
    that
    | a log had to be stored somewhere.
    | When, after Windows reboot, I looked for it (i.e. in Application Events,
    | under Winlogon item) I discovered that it wasn't complete. It was cut
    after
    | about 16kB (because that's the size of the txt file where I copied the log
    | into).
    | So this is my request: where (and if) I can set a bigger size for any
    single
    | log.
    | Regards.

Chkdsk Microsoft Windows XP