Chkdsk log size

July 3, 2005 11:07:45 PM

Hi all!
As you know, after a pre-boot chkdsk has performed, the log is available on
Application Events, inside a Winlogon item.
The problem is that the max size of a single log is 16kB. More than enough
when everything is ok (i.e. when you aren't interested in viewing it), but
too small when your disk has some problems, and the list of involved files
may be very long.
Is there a way to increase the max size of a log? Or, alternatively, in
chksdk options can you specify a text file as log output?
Many thanks in advance!

More about : chkdsk log size

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:07:46 PM

Hi,

Start/run eventvwr.msc, then click ok. Click on system, then on
action/properties. Increase the size of hte log here.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Fanboy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all!
> As you know, after a pre-boot chkdsk has performed, the log is available
> on
> Application Events, inside a Winlogon item.
> The problem is that the max size of a single log is 16kB. More than enough
> when everything is ok (i.e. when you aren't interested in viewing it), but
> too small when your disk has some problems, and the list of involved files
> may be very long.
> Is there a way to increase the max size of a log? Or, alternatively, in
> chksdk options can you specify a text file as log output?
> Many thanks in advance!

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:07:46 PM

Table 27.3 - Chkdsk Parameters

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Fanboy" wrote:

| Hi all!
| As you know, after a pre-boot chkdsk has performed, the log is available on
| Application Events, inside a Winlogon item.
| The problem is that the max size of a single log is 16kB. More than enough
| when everything is ok (i.e. when you aren't interested in viewing it), but
| too small when your disk has some problems, and the list of involved files
| may be very long.
| Is there a way to increase the max size of a log? Or, alternatively, in
| chksdk options can you specify a text file as log output?
| Many thanks in advance!
Related resources
July 4, 2005 3:39:13 AM

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi,
>
> Start/run eventvwr.msc, then click ok. Click on system, then on
> action/properties. Increase the size of hte log here.

Thanks, but it seems referring to the total size of the registry (512kB for
default).
I'd like to know how to increase the max size of the log for a single event
(16kB for default)
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:39:14 AM

Hi,

1) The line to change is "total log size: ___" (note the use of the word
'log').

2) What makes you think that line has anything to do with the registry?

3) The registry is much, much larger than 512kb.

--

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Hi,
>>
>> Start/run eventvwr.msc, then click ok. Click on system, then on
>> action/properties. Increase the size of hte log here.
>
> Thanks, but it seems referring to the total size of the registry (512kB
> for
> default).
> I'd like to know how to increase the max size of the log for a single
> event
> (16kB for default)

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:24:06 AM

Hi Fanboy,

Actually I agree with Rick about the way to change the event log size. But
I noticed that you may not faced such a problem with Event Log Size, so
please tell us the situation you faced in detail. And I also appreciate
Carey providing information about Chkdsk Parameters, you may follow the
article to see if they fit your goals.

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Fanboy" <nospam@hotmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Chkdsk log size
| Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:07:45 GMT
|
| Hi all!
| As you know, after a pre-boot chkdsk has performed, the log is available
on
| Application Events, inside a Winlogon item.
| The problem is that the max size of a single log is 16kB. More than enough
| when everything is ok (i.e. when you aren't interested in viewing it), but
| too small when your disk has some problems, and the list of involved files
| may be very long.
| Is there a way to increase the max size of a log? Or, alternatively, in
| chksdk options can you specify a text file as log output?
| Many thanks in advance!

July 4, 2005 12:19:12 PM

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:o 0t7J4CgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> 1) The line to change is "total log size: ___" (note the use of the word
> 'log').
>
> 2) What makes you think that line has anything to do with the registry?
>
> 3) The registry is much, much larger than 512kb.

Sorry, it was a ambiguous translation in the english "log". Surely I knew
that it couldn't be THAT registry. :)
Anyway it doesn't change what I mean: you can set the TOTAL size, not the
size for a single log.
July 4, 2005 12:22:12 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:o av16gAgFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Table 27.3 - Chkdsk Parameters

I tried the "/l" parameter, and it says that my log size is 64 MB... so it
must be something else.
Anyway I didn't even know where that log is stored... :(
July 4, 2005 12:29:42 PM

"Vincent Xu [MSFT]" <v-xuwen@online.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi Fanboy,
>
> Actually I agree with Rick about the way to change the event log size. But
> I noticed that you may not faced such a problem with Event Log Size, so
> please tell us the situation you faced in detail.

Yes, thanks Vincent.
After I saw some disk errors in my system events report, I decided to run
chkdsk (reboot was necessary).
During the scan, many lines were displayed reporting several problems on my
disk. I didn't worried about reading or writing anything, since I knew that
a log had to be stored somewhere.
When, after Windows reboot, I looked for it (i.e. in Application Events,
under Winlogon item) I discovered that it wasn't complete. It was cut after
about 16kB (because that's the size of the txt file where I copied the log
into).
So this is my request: where (and if) I can set a bigger size for any single
log.
Regards.
July 4, 2005 12:39:15 PM

> where I copied the log into).

Ops, "where I pasted".
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:49:10 PM

Hello,

I think I got your idea.

Actually when Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its
output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked.
The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the
Application Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is
recorded as follows:

Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon
volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
against.
Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or because
the dirty bit was set.

So you know,the log in event log is a detailed one.But as a workaround ,you
can make a log manually via following steps:

1. When you boot up,cancel the autochk.

2. Paste this into a command prompt and run it: CHKDSK C: /F >
C:\CHKDISKLOG.TXT

3. After CHKDSK has run paste this in Start | Run:C:\CHKDISKLOG.TXT

4. You would be able to see the log.

Thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup, I hope my suggestions helps.

!