Slow logon

July 3, 2005 4:17:01 PM

I'm running xp pro on a ibm laptop. Lately, it's been taking a few minuytes
to log on. Booting up windows is fast, but logon is slow. I am an
administrator, so please give help. I haven't gotten any warinings from my
single SMART harddrive.

My laptop is 1/2 year old.

More about : slow logon

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 7:45:53 PM

Hi,

I wouldn't suspect it as being a hard drive problem, but rather a startup
load one. Follow the steps outlined here:

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running xp pro on a ibm laptop. Lately, it's been taking a few
> minuytes
> to log on. Booting up windows is fast, but logon is slow. I am an
> administrator, so please give help. I haven't gotten any warinings from
> my
> single SMART harddrive.
>

> My laptop is 1/2 year old.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2005 2:36:29 AM

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running xp pro on a ibm laptop. Lately, it's been taking a few
> minuytes
> to log on. Booting up windows is fast, but logon is slow. I am an
> administrator, so please give help. I haven't gotten any warinings from
> my
> single SMART harddrive.
>

> My laptop is 1/2 year old.

Are you logging on to a domain (with or without cached credentials) or
logging on locally? If it's a domain and you are not physically connected
this is normal. If it's a domain and you are physically connected then
something is most likely wrong with DNS. If you are logging on locally then
it is most likely some program that runs on startup. Follow the other
suggestions to check for malware.

Kerry
!