Slow logon

I'm running xp pro on a ibm laptop. Lately, it's been taking a few minuytes
to log on. Booting up windows is fast, but logon is slow. I am an
administrator, so please give help. I haven't gotten any warinings from my
single SMART harddrive.

My laptop is 1/2 year old.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow logon

    Hi,

    I wouldn't suspect it as being a hard drive problem, but rather a startup
    load one. Follow the steps outlined here:

    How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running xp pro on a ibm laptop. Lately, it's been taking a few
    > minuytes
    > to log on. Booting up windows is fast, but logon is slow. I am an
    > administrator, so please give help. I haven't gotten any warinings from
    > my
    > single SMART harddrive.
    >

    > My laptop is 1/2 year old.

    "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running xp pro on a ibm laptop. Lately, it's been taking a few
    > minuytes
    > to log on. Booting up windows is fast, but logon is slow. I am an
    > administrator, so please give help. I haven't gotten any warinings from
    > my
    > single SMART harddrive.
    >

    > My laptop is 1/2 year old.

    Are you logging on to a domain (with or without cached credentials) or
    logging on locally? If it's a domain and you are not physically connected
    this is normal. If it's a domain and you are physically connected then
    something is most likely wrong with DNS. If you are logging on locally then
    it is most likely some program that runs on startup. Follow the other
    suggestions to check for malware.

    Kerry

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP