Deleted registry with AdAware 6.0 DOH!!

Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to do.
You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says cannot
find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an .mp3 to
open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won’t open any other way.
exe files that I download to update stuff don’t run.

I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said something
about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.

Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with itself for
programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had this
problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore with command
prompt in safe moad and then
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and it went through all
the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and said it
couldn’t execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was no
program associated with it.

How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?

HELP! :(

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH-ftopict552757.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752796
5 answers Last reply
More about deleted registry adaware

    Can't open EXE files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

    Windows XP File Association Fixes

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "bradleyic" wrote:

    | Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to do.
    | You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says cannot
    | find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an .mp3 to
    | open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won't open any other way.
    | exe files that I download to update stuff don't run.
    |
    | I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said something
    | about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
    |
    | Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with itself for
    | programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had this
    | problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore with command
    | prompt in safe moad and then
    | %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and it went through all
    | the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and said it
    | couldn't execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was no
    | program associated with it.
    |
    | How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
    |
    | HELP! :(

    Restore the .EXE file association:

    Click Start, Run and type Command.com
    Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"

    Fix the .exe association here:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
    Set the (default) to exefile

    Goto:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
    Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*

    "%1" %*

    Close Regedit.exe

    Related MSKBs:

    You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension:

    You Cannot Start Programs (.exe Files) When Your Computer Is Infected with
    the SirCam Virus:

    Cannot run EXE files [Programs don't open]:
    http://windowsxp..mvps.org/exefile.htm

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "" wrote:
    > Can't open EXE files
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
    >
    > Windows XP File Association Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > Technologies:

    > -----------------------------
    >
    > "bradleyic" wrote:
    >
    > | Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to
    > do.
    > | You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says
    > cannot
    > | find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an
    > .mp3 to
    > | open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won't open any
    > other way.
    > | exe files that I download to update stuff don't run.
    > |
    > | I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said
    > something
    > | about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
    > |
    > | Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with
    > itself for
    > | programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had
    > this
    > | problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore
    > with command
    > | prompt in safe moad and then
    > | %systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe, and it went
    > through all
    > | the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and
    > said it
    > | couldn't execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was
    > no
    > | program associated with it.
    > |
    > | How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
    > |
    > | HELP! :(

    I tried that..and went to the MS site...
    and did start, run and then command.com...

    it said "windows cannot open this file"
    It needs to know who created it.

    so if I can’t even start with this...what now??

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH-ftopict552757.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1754686

    > "" wrote:
    > > Can't open EXE files
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
    > >
    > > Windows XP File Association Fixes
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    > >
    > > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > > Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > > -----------------------------
    > >
    > > "bradleyic" wrote:
    > >
    > > | Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to
    > > do.
    > > | You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says
    > > cannot
    > > | find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an
    > > .mp3 to
    > > | open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won't open any
    > > other way.
    > > | exe files that I download to update stuff don't run.
    > > |
    > > | I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said
    > > something
    > > | about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
    > > |
    > > | Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with
    > > itself for
    > > | programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had
    > > this
    > > | problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore
    > > with command
    > > | prompt in safe moad and then
    > > | %systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe, and it went
    > > through all
    > > | the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and
    > > said it
    > > | couldn't execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was
    > > no
    > > | program associated with it.
    > > |
    > > | How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
    > > |
    > > | HELP! :(
    >
    > I tried that..and went to the MS site...
    > and did start, run and then command.com...
    >
    > it said "windows cannot open this file"
    > It needs to know who created it.
    >
    > so if I can’t even start with this...what now??

    Try Start -> Run -> cmd

    Or

    Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

    Kerry

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH-ftopict552757.html

    Have you tried restoring the deleted items from Adaware's quarantine ?
    Mostly Adaware sends deleted items into its Quarantine in a zipped file so
    what you can do is check it and restore the deleted items.

    bradleyic <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> schreef in artikel
    <3_1752796_5c284347c66a8ba58f5792d2371a5886@windowsforumz.com>...
    > Okay, I have no icons that match what they are supposed to do.
    > You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says cannot
    > find program, please select from a list. So, I click on an .mp3 to
    > open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won’t open any other way.
    > .exe files that I download to update stuff don’t run.
    >
    > I used AdAware 6.0 to remove popups, etc and it said something
    > about /HKEY/***** information and deleted it all.
    >
    > Ever since then, nothing runs and nothing associates with itself for
    > programs. I did a system restore back to before when I had this
    > problem, but it did not fix itself. I did system restore with command
    > prompt in safe moad and then
    > %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and it went through all
    > the promts, however, when I rebooted, it loaded all bad and said it
    > couldn’t execute rstrui.exe in normal mode because there was no
    > program associated with it.
    >
    > How do I get my icons to behave normally?!?!?!?!?
    >
    > HELP! :(

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Deleted-registry-AdAware-DOH