Unable to Install Windows 7 on older PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Hi everyone,
I have my old PC running windows vista, I wanted to reformat and install windows 7 64-bit onto it, then give it to my little brother, and I've ran into the issues that I will describe in chronological order below.

1. I went into Disk Management and deleted the smallest volume that didn't have my OS installed onto it.
2. I set my boot sequence to 1) CD-ROM Drive 2) HDD ( that I wanted to install 7 onto)
3. I popped in my Windows 7 64-bit OEM cd, that I used on my new personal computer
4. Installer went through perfectly, I formatted the larger partition that had Vista onto it, and Windows 7 began to install.
5. The installation stopped and gave me this message "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation."

Questions

1. Is this because I'm using an OEM version of Windows 7?
2. Could it be the system can't handle windows 7?
3. Would downloading a Windows 7 iso and copying the image to a DVD then installing off that solve my issues?

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core
MOBO: MSI K9N6PGM2-V2
RAM: Kingston 2gb DDR2 (2x1)
HDD: WD 640gb

Solution
download an iso and burn it to a DVD or a USB drive with microsoft USB tool. You disc might be messed up if its giving you that error.

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I just ran into another issue as well. I just tried to turn on the computer and my monitor now doesn't recognize that a VGA input is connected. Could I of just fried my mobo? It's using integrated graphics.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

That's a load of crap. I've used the same Win 7 OEM disc on multiple motherboards since it was released due to upgrades etc. Nothing short of a broken disc or broken hardware will stop it installing correctly. The only issue you might have to deal with is activation, which is only a simple phone call to a robot to fix. But it installs just fine.

To the OP, try the ISO copy, perhaps your disc is scratched or nicked or something. I had a similar thing happen with a couple old XP Pro discs i have, every attempt at an install caused a blue screen halfway through install. A untouched XP pro iso from TPB fixed that for me.

As for the no vga connection, hard to say without testing with a plug in card.

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you for clarifying, I was thinking the same thing in my head :eek: As far as my specs go, are they capable of running Windows 7 64-bit smoothly? and say I use the same disk to reformat my own personal computer that I originally used to install 7, and it works flawlessly, it would be fair to assume its not the disc correct?

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Did you get the disc with an OEM pc or is it a copy you purchased? If it's from a PC manufacturer, it may only have the files required for that OEM pc. Otherwise, it should work on any pc, but to activate it, you'll have to purchase a license from MS. They usually have upgrade license you can get pretty cheaply if you are a student and have a .edu email address.

ashehadeh1

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

Thank you for the reply. I bought the disc myself from newegg.com for $99.99, and I am a student with a .edu email, I had no idea you could save money on windows, thank you! Do you know if its possible to replace the NVIDIA ® GeForce 6150SE & nForce 430 chip on my mobo? I think I might of damaged that, and I suspect that to be the cause for my monitor not recognizing the VGA input.

Status
Not open for further replies.