Simple question with I hope a simple answer

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I would like to sell off my current TV and CRT and replace both with a nice LCD monitor. I only use my TV to play games on occasion, and I rarely watch cable. So question is, would I be better off buying a Dell monitor that has both component connections and DVI? Or should I get a nice Viewsonic or something and look for a component connection card that would allow me to play games through my computer?

tyr86

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
Looks fine on both, however, you do realize that your PCI card you picked out isn't in HD? If you are OK with that.

TV and your console will not be in HD on your monitor.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Good point, I didn't even think of that. Anyways, after doing a little more research I stumbled on to this monitor, I have 0 experience with this brand but people seem to be reviewing it pretty well. The specs are better and the price is similar, would that be the better bang for the buck? As far as the PCI card goes I could care less if my TV isn't HD since I hardly watch it anyways, however I would like to have my counsels be in HD. I can't find anything that would allow that though, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks for the help by the way.

tyr86

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
Stay away from Sceptre like the plague. They are definitely the pinnacle of you get what you pay for... crap.

I looked for TV tuners with builtin component but I was unsuccessful.

Viewsonic LCD TV (cheapest one)

The problem is you're trying to do too many things so you're trading off quality. That TV says it can go up to 1600x1200, but I wouldn't hold my breath, also, it has no DVI. But it does have VGA (for your computer), and component (for your console) and maybe you could run S-video or something for your TV?

If it was me, and I'd wanted it all integrated, I'd get a nice LCD monitor with VGA/DVI and/or HDMI (or I'd start looking for LCD TVs with HDMI) and then I'd buy an HDMI cable depending on what console I have. For TV, I'd buy a PCI tuner card so you can watch TV when you want to, and turn your computer into a TIVO.

I would prioritize my console being in HD, considering you can download your favorite TV shows in HD if you want them badly enough, or just buy the seasons.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I figured Spectre wasn't anything amazing since I haven't heard of it. I think my best option will be to just get the BenQ and that TV tuner. If I REALLY want to play games in HD I could just hook up my systems to my roomies HDTV and deal with his obnoxiousness. Again, thanks for your help.

tyr86

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2005
That benq looks pretty good and I think having a tuner will be nice for TV purposes as you can potentially record your shows. Make sure the tuner has coaxial and RCA so you can hookup TV to coax and your console to the RCA, even though it won't be in HD (which we already discussed.)

You are welcome for the help, btw.

TRENDING THREADS