Windows error detection menu

July 3, 2005 5:10:03 PM

Where can I find the options to tell Windows (XP Home) what to do if it
detects an error? I'm experiencing problems which I think are a result of
Windows finding an error and locking the computer. The hard disk light
remains constant green and everything locks up. The only way to get out of
this is to switch off and reboot. Does anyone know of any other issue that
can cause frequent lockups? Dell support are convinced that it's a software
problem.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:28:55 AM

Hi

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any 'Errors'. If you find any, could
you please post the Event ID and Source?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"GeoffB in London" <GeoffBinLondon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:77BD7973-67D2-4D96-9C07-5A7749A191FA@microsoft.com...
> Where can I find the options to tell Windows (XP Home) what to do if it
> detects an error? I'm experiencing problems which I think are a result of
> Windows finding an error and locking the computer. The hard disk light
> remains constant green and everything locks up. The only way to get out
> of
> this is to switch off and reboot. Does anyone know of any other issue
> that
> can cause frequent lockups? Dell support are convinced that it's a
> software
> problem.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:28:56 AM

Where do I find Event Viewer?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have a look in the Event Viewer for any 'Errors'. If you find any, could
> you please post the Event ID and Source?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "GeoffB in London" <GeoffBinLondon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:77BD7973-67D2-4D96-9C07-5A7749A191FA@microsoft.com...
> > Where can I find the options to tell Windows (XP Home) what to do if it
> > detects an error? I'm experiencing problems which I think are a result of
> > Windows finding an error and locking the computer. The hard disk light
> > remains constant green and everything locks up. The only way to get out
> > of
> > this is to switch off and reboot. Does anyone know of any other issue
> > that
> > can cause frequent lockups? Dell support are convinced that it's a
> > software
> > problem.

July 4, 2005 1:42:52 AM

Hi

From Start>Run type

eventvwr.msc

then click on each entry in the left hand column. You'll soon see if you
have any 'Errors'. Could you please post any entries under the 'Event' and
'Source' columns?

--

message news:7141AA27-F2AE-43A0-A167-52B0C2F94369@microsoft.com...
> Where do I find Event Viewer?
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have a look in the Event Viewer for any 'Errors'. If you find any, could
>> you please post the Event ID and Source?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "GeoffB in London" <GeoffBinLondon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:77BD7973-67D2-4D96-9C07-5A7749A191FA@microsoft.com...
>> > Where can I find the options to tell Windows (XP Home) what to do if it
>> > detects an error? I'm experiencing problems which I think are a result
>> > of
>> > Windows finding an error and locking the computer. The hard disk light
>> > remains constant green and everything locks up. The only way to get
>> > out
>> > of
>> > this is to switch off and reboot. Does anyone know of any other issue
>> > that
>> > can cause frequent lockups? Dell support are convinced that it's a
>> > software
>> > problem.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:41:03 PM