Scent-based Empathy in Hero 5th Edition (Un-Revised, for n..

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I don't have the Revised Edition yet (will buy the PDF in
1-2 months).

I'm making a Wolf Man Shaman, a guy who woke up after twelve
thousand years of hibernation (history as we know it is
wrong: Our stone age ancestors lived alongside Wolf People,
Cat People and Sauroid People, but they all went extinct at
some point).

One of his schticks is that he has very sharp Senses (Smell,
Hearing and Mental Awareness), and I want him to be able to
gauge the emotional state of others, with some kind of
Limitation to reflect that it is based on scent.

But the only Empathy ability I can find is under Telepathy,
which is a psionic ability, and the Wolf Man's ability works
radically different from that.

How do I proceed? Can I tweak the Telepathy/Empathy ability
sufficiently to work as I want it to?

(I don't want him to have the Detect Lies skill. He
deliberately has no manipulative skills beyond Oratory,
because they'd be out of character for him. Also, his
Empathy can do much more than just Detect wen people are lying).

Some thoughts:

It is a Scent-based ability, and thus has limited range.

An Activation Roll of 15- for Wolf Men (hypothetical, as he
is the last one) is reasonable, with a -1 penalty for each
Hex of distance (assuming average wind conditions). The 15-
represents some sort of skill roll (I like the idea of using
Activation Rolls to represent improvable abilities, instead
of using Requires A Skill Roll - does that make me a bad
person?).

There should be a further -2 penalty when the ability is
used against Humans (but not modern Canines or Felines),
although he will spend character points to gradually reduce
this penalty during the (hypothetical - this is just a test
character) campaign. And of course the Activation Roll can
be further modified, if the emotion in question is extreme
or subtle.

The ability is in no way supernatural/magical/psionic, and
therefore should be unaffected by Supress, Drain and
similar. Instead it should be messed up if his Sense of
Scent gets Flashed (and he has no Flash Defense for any of
his Senses), or if either character is wearing a sealed body
suit (space suit or hazmat suit or rad suit), or if they're
talking over the phone (his sense of hearing is damn good
too, but not quite good enough to be Empathic[1]).

He already has Discriminatory and Analyze for his Sense of
Scent.

Other characters' ability to resist this ability might be
based on PRE instead of EGO, although I'm not sure whether
that is actually appropriate.

Actually on second thought I'm not sure the ability *can* be
resisted, because in order to do so you must be able to
control your exocrine glands, and normal Humans flat out
*cannot* do that. We're not talking body language or
tone-of-voice here, we're talking something that is way
beyond conscious control (excluding, of course, Faqirs and
similar).

[1] Why isn't there an Empathic "Adder" that can be applied
to Senses? It seems like an obvious thing to do, to me. It
could require Discriminatory (but not Analyze) and have an
Activation Roll of 10- for 3 points, or 12 for 5 points, or
14- for 10 points, with a +1 bonus to the Activation Roll
(to 11- or 13- or 15-) if the Sense does have Analyze.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:11:46 +0200, "Peter Knutsen (usenet)"
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

>But the only Empathy ability I can find is under Telepathy,
>which is a psionic ability,

Not necessarily.

and the Wolf Man's ability works
>radically different from that.

You mean because mind shields won't stop it?
That's No Normal Defense.

>The ability is in no way supernatural/magical/psionic, and
>therefore should be unaffected by Supress, Drain and
>similar.

Supresses and Drains versus special effects only effect those special
effects. Say it isn't psionic and it isn't.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

The first thing you have to keep in mind about Champs is that it is EFFECT
based, not power based. Take any power you want and call it whatever you
want if it has the mechanics you need it to have. You can call the ability
magic, psionics, or racial...it's all in the effect.

But here's the blurb straight from 5er, pg 232:

Empathy (-½, -1): Empathy is a form of Telepathy

that can only read emotions. If the Telepathy works

on all emotions, the Limitation is worth -½; if it

only works on a single emotion, it's worth -1.

Empathy only allows a character to read a

target's emotions. He cannot project emotions into

the target's mind or change the target's emotions;

that requires empathic Mind Control.

"Peter Knutsen (usenet)" <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote in message

> It is a Scent-based ability, and thus has limited range.
>
> An Activation Roll of 15- for Wolf Men (hypothetical, as he
> is the last one) is reasonable, with a -1 penalty for each
> Hex of distance (assuming average wind conditions). The 15-
> represents some sort of skill roll (I like the idea of using
> Activation Rolls to represent improvable abilities, instead
> of using Requires A Skill Roll - does that make me a bad
> person?).

(Talking from experience with 4th edition here, but I imagine the concepts
haven't changed that much in this particular case.)

In this case, making it "requires skill roll" with the skill being
"preception (scent)" makes more sense. The rules give you modifiers to scent
perception rolls for range and other environmental conditions, so there
seems little point in applying your own arbitrary modifiers to your own
arbitrary activation roll. You can buy skill levels to improve the roll, if
necessary (for probably a lot less than buying up your activation roll).

--
David Meadows
"More than elite, they were unique. The first of a new