Sign in with
Your question

Samsung SATA 160Gb hdd, worth the price?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Samsung
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2004 8:29:40 PM

Do somebody have some experience with them? They are cheaper than other yet backed up with a 3 years warranty. But, is the performance is there?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

More about : samsung sata 160gb hdd worth price

August 9, 2004 3:05:24 AM

Emachines uses Samsung drives, relabled "Trigem". hehe, they're the slowest drives I've ever used.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 9, 2004 3:11:01 AM

are they using the 5400 or the 7200 drive? THG once did a review about the 5400rpm. I plan to RAID 2 160gb and was looking for cool and quiet drives. I was thinking about the 7200 SATA one from samsung but doesnt wan to sacrifice too much performance too. Maybe I'll end up with 2 seagate...

Related resources
August 9, 2004 4:56:19 AM

Likely the 5400RPM drives, but I was comparing them to other 5400RPM drives by WD and Maxtor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 9, 2004 9:14:43 AM

if you are on that kind of budget find yeself a Seagate drive with rebates, I have 2 of them with ~$.50 per Gig, I think it is a good price for HD space these days.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
August 9, 2004 8:35:05 PM

I'm not quite ready yet to upgrade so I may end up with something else. But saving on HDD could have give me some loose for a faster CPU or more ram. Just trying to balance the performance/price ratio ...

August 10, 2004 1:32:31 AM

performance/price ballance is Seagates edge these days ;) 

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
August 19, 2004 8:16:09 PM

I just buy 2 Seagate ST3160023AS 160 gigs SATA for my computer. I'll get them tomorow and I'll set them up on my RAID controller.

Thanks all!

August 19, 2004 10:01:23 PM

You might wonna read <A HREF="http://www.silentpcreview.com/article58-page1.html" target="_new"> this </A> review of samsungs sp1614N and seagates 7200.7

(how do I make klickable links?, think I got it)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tennen on 08/19/04 06:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 19, 2004 10:13:58 PM

Thanks! But the Seagate now has a 5 years warranty which help in my case to make the decision. But for performance/noise, it look like the Samsung is a bit better. I'll be using the SATA version, and they test the PATA, so I dont know if the performance test is still valid thou...

August 19, 2004 10:16:33 PM

You got a point there.
I am buying a new hdd soon my self so I have been looking around a bit.
Tell me when you got yours what you think of it. noise is the most important to me.
August 19, 2004 10:25:20 PM

should get them tomorrow after lunch, ans install them in the afternoon. I'll let you know!

August 20, 2004 10:40:09 PM

Just got my new drives. I RAID them to have one big 320Gigs HD, partitioned them and installed Windows. Everything went smoothly and silently!!! Now, the loudest thing in my case is my PSU!!! As for speed, well, I dont know. Everithing seem faster than with my 2 WD1200JB in RAID too, but since it is a fresh install, well, it is hard to say. but as for noise, well, I had to really listen to them closely to make sure they were spinning at startup...I must say that I'm satisfied with them so far.

!