XP SP2 does not recognise my camcorder via firewire

July 3, 2005 6:00:02 PM

hello

I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV footage
through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my PC (Win XP
Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via firewire. In
fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to detect my
camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems, all functions
worked perfectly..

I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I uninstalled
and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire cables, I even
tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and manually install the old
SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced this is a driver problem
specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders. What's annoying is that
although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a quick look on the net and
realised that I'm not the only one struggling), I have yet to see Microsoft
provide any patches. My question is: Does anyone know of any fixes (other
than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else had this problem and managed to get
an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go
through the hassle of contacting Microsoft and obtain this potential
'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.

Any help, greatly appreciated
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:03:02 PM

Why are you even thinking of contacting MS?
Did they make your camcorder?

Go to the manufacturer for support.

"southpaw" wrote:

> hello
>
> I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV footage
> through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my PC (Win XP
> Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via firewire. In
> fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to detect my
> camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems, all functions
> worked perfectly..
>
> I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I uninstalled
> and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire cables, I even
> tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and manually install the old
> SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced this is a driver problem
> specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders. What's annoying is that
> although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a quick look on the net and
> realised that I'm not the only one struggling), I have yet to see Microsoft
> provide any patches. My question is: Does anyone know of any fixes (other
> than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else had this problem and managed to get
> an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go
> through the hassle of contacting Microsoft and obtain this potential
> 'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:03:18 PM

Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"southpaw" wrote:

| hello
|
| I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV footage
| through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my PC (Win XP
| Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via firewire. In
| fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to detect my
| camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems, all functions
| worked perfectly..
|
| I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I uninstalled
| and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire cables, I even
| tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and manually install the old
| SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced this is a driver problem
| specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders. What's annoying is that
| although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a quick look on the net and
| realised that I'm not the only one struggling), I have yet to see Microsoft
| provide any patches. My question is: Does anyone know of any fixes (other
| than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else had this problem and managed to get
| an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go
| through the hassle of contacting Microsoft and obtain this potential
| 'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.
|
| Any help, greatly appreciated
July 4, 2005 7:06:55 AM

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
this to say:

> Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install
> Windows XP Service Pack 2

Just another part of your beloved Windoze eXPerience Carey?

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

Carey

Thanks for this but the patch you mention deals with the issue of slow
transfer speed not connectivity..

Thanks anyway
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install
> Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "southpaw" wrote:
>
> | hello
> |
> | I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV footage
> | through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my PC (Win XP
> | Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via firewire. In
> | fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to detect my
> | camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems, all functions
> | worked perfectly..
> |
> | I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I uninstalled
> | and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire cables, I even
> | tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and manually install the old
> | SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced this is a driver problem
> | specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders. What's annoying is that
> | although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a quick look on the net and
> | realised that I'm not the only one struggling), I have yet to see Microsoft
> | provide any patches. My question is: Does anyone know of any fixes (other
> | than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else had this problem and managed to get
> | an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go
> | through the hassle of contacting Microsoft and obtain this potential
> | 'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.
> |
> | Any help, greatly appreciated

July 4, 2005 3:57:01 PM

Manny

why did you even think of posting a reply when you knew it was going to be
so unhelpful (and rude)..?

Anyway, I DID contact Panasonic and they said they do not provide firewire
drivers or patches. Microsoft does. That's why I bothered to post in this
forum.. Forums are for discussing problems, aren't they ?

"Manny Borges" wrote:

> Why are you even thinking of contacting MS?
> Did they make your camcorder?
>
> Go to the manufacturer for support.
>
> "southpaw" wrote:
>
> > hello
> >
> > I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV footage
> > through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my PC (Win XP
> > Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via firewire. In
> > fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to detect my
> > camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems, all functions
> > worked perfectly..
> >
> > I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I uninstalled
> > and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire cables, I even
> > tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and manually install the old
> > SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced this is a driver problem
> > specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders. What's annoying is that
> > although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a quick look on the net and
> > realised that I'm not the only one struggling), I have yet to see Microsoft
> > provide any patches. My question is: Does anyone know of any fixes (other
> > than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else had this problem and managed to get
> > an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go
> > through the hassle of contacting Microsoft and obtain this potential
> > 'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.
> >
> > Any help, greatly appreciated
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:12:54 AM

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Manny Borges had this to
say:

> Why are you even thinking of contacting MS?

Because the moronic SP2 upgrade broke his ability to use his camcorder with
Windoze. This is a valid venue to ask such a question. Now all you MVPs,
help the guy!

> Did they make your camcorder?

MickeyMouse doesn't make squat other than some junk hardware that they
procur from who knows where and their Xbox, which makes a rather nice and
cheap platform to run Linux on.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/

> Go to the manufacturer for support.
>
> "southpaw" wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>> I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV
>> footage through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my
>> PC (Win XP Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via
>> firewire. In fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to
>> detect my camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems,
>> all functions worked perfectly..
>>
>> I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I
>> uninstalled and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire
>> cables, I even tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and
>> manually install the old SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced
>> this is a driver problem specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders.
>> What's annoying is that although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a
>> quick look on the net and realised that I'm not the only one struggling),
>> I have yet to see Microsoft provide any patches. My question is: Does
>> anyone know of any fixes (other than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else
>> had this problem and managed to get an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft
>> ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go through the hassle of contacting
>> Microsoft and obtain this potential 'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's
>> worth the hassle.
>>
>> Any help, greatly appreciated

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
August 3, 2005 11:34:04 AM

I had to add a firewire card because my mobo did not have a 1394
connection.XP Home did not recognize my card,I tried to do a repair
Windows,but that made things worse(BSOD). So, I removed my card from my
mobo,formatted my hd and reinstalled XP,downloaded all of the updates. Then I
turned my pc off,reinstalled my firewire card,rebooted and it worked fine. I
am able to captue,edit and burn the files to DVD now.I hope this may be
helpful, if it is not,I apologize.

"southpaw" wrote:

> hello
>
> I wonder if you can help me.. I used to be able to capture Mini DV footage
> through firewire under XP SP1 but since I "upgraded" to SP2, my PC (Win XP
> Pro) can no longer recognise my Panasonic NVGS11 camcorder via firewire. In
> fact, I have two PCs at home with SP2 and they both fail to detect my
> camcorder. With SP1 - yep you've guessed right - no problems, all functions
> worked perfectly..
>
> I've tried all possible solutions; I changed firewire slots, I uninstalled
> and re-installed firewire drivers, I used different firewire cables, I even
> tried to remove the current SP2 firewire drivers and manually install the old
> SP1 ones - none of this worked ! I'm convinced this is a driver problem
> specifically related to SP2 and old camcorders. What's annoying is that
> although this is a common SP2 problem (I've had a quick look on the net and
> realised that I'm not the only one struggling), I have yet to see Microsoft
> provide any patches. My question is: Does anyone know of any fixes (other
> than uninstalling SP2) ? has anyone else had this problem and managed to get
> an 'unreleased' hotfix from Microsoft ? If so, has it worked ? Before I go
> through the hassle of contacting Microsoft and obtain this potential
> 'hotfix', I'd like to know if it's worth the hassle.
>
> Any help, greatly appreciated
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:09:33 PM

CentralCal,
Thanks for the post back. Now others will know that if you want to add
a Firewire device to XP SP2, all you have to do is format & re-install
the operating system.
The new ad blitz should be changed from "Start Something," to "Better
Fix Something First!"
Glad your upnrunning.
Treeman

--