Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 931C

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 30, 2006 9:55:32 AM

I'm thinking on dumping my old SONY E400 for a new shiny TFT. My choice would go for a Viewsonic 2030b but since it s a little expensive (at least in my country :)  ) I'm trying to find alternatives.

I've read in Tom's Holidays Buyer Guide that the Samsung 931C was a great monitor although there wasn't a full review on it. Does anyone has this monitor or as already experienced it? If so, what do you think of it?

For the others, do you have any alternatives?

Thanks!

More about : samsung 931c

a b C Monitor
December 30, 2006 1:48:51 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking on dumping my old SONY E400 for a new shiny TFT. My choice would go for a Viewsonic 2030b but since it s a little expensive (at least in my country :)  ) I'm trying to find alternatives.

I've read in Tom's Holidays Buyer Guide that the Samsung 931C was a great monitor although there wasn't a full review on it. Does anyone has this monitor or as already experienced it? If so, what do you think of it?

For the others, do you have any alternatives?

Thanks!

:)  That's exactly what I did: Sony E400 to VP2030b. They had a $100 rebate on it.

Some things to check for:
How picky are you on response time? Do you follow moving objects closely in games and expect to be able to pick out tiny details clearly. If so, then this is a major problem with LCDs and is likely to make you sick after seeing that they cannot do this.

How about accurate colors accross the entire surface of the screen? If you do image editing and expect a particular color to be exactly the same shade in the middle and on the extreme edges of your monitor, then this is also a problem for LCDs. Due to limited viewing angles on many panel types, many LCD types are unable to keep a consistant color across the entire surface of the screen for accurate image editing.

How picky are you when it come to per-pixel accuracy for image editing? If you do graphics editing with large areas of solid color (say web work) and you inspect said images for problems in individual pixels, then the matte finish on most LCD screens is likely to annoy you. The matte finish gives LCDs a constant "dirty" look to them like you have dust on the screen constantly. Only people who work with bitmap editing (and some others) may spot this; but it causes areas that are supposed to be solidly one color to have a blotch look where the color is not quite pure, but has lots of speckly off color by a few points on the rgb scale. The only way around this is to go for a shiny screen. Unfortunatly, these screens are almost like a mirror finish and reflect light badly (which is not good for you).

Some alternatives that you might consider include the
NEC 90GX2 with the glossy screen, for lower response times.
VX922 for the matte finish, for lower response times.
December 30, 2006 1:55:51 PM

Did the VP2030b delivered what you expected? Games, Web, Office, etc?
Related resources
a b C Monitor
December 30, 2006 3:31:12 PM

Quote:
Did the VP2030b delivered what you expected? Games, Web, Office, etc?

Nope. I was able to spot all kinds of flaws in LCD design compared to what I remember of the CRT (the picture is now getting pretty bad on the CRT). I wrote up a whole list of issues in other threads. However, there is the still the benefit of having a very sharp, flicker free, radiation free picture on an LCD.

You could be like some others are and not be able to spot many of the flaws in LCD design, or you may be very critical when it comes to image quality and may be able to easily see all the flaws. It all depends.

BTW, I should note, that this size and resolution is actually very nice. The 20" 1600x1200 is a pretty good size and resolution. There is one 20" model in local stores: the Samsung 204b. You could give that one a try to see how you like things in general. It's definitely not the best monitor though.
December 30, 2006 4:43:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"... The 20" 1600x1200 is a pretty good size and resolution. There is one 20" model in local stores: the Samsung 204b. You could give that one a try to see how you like things in general. It's definitely not the best monitor though.

Agree the 204B is not the best, but in its defense:

1. So far, it's the *only* TN panel in UXGA... a credible attempt at being the "do all monitor for a reasonable price"

2. It's very well liked by Newegg buyers

For these reasons alone prospective buyers should at least give it consideration....
January 25, 2007 11:01:53 PM

I have the viewsonic vx922 and my games look great. cant beat the $269 price also :-)
!