The exception Priviledged instruction (0xc00000(^)

Hello,
I have started getting a notice that the exception Priviledged instruction
(0xc0000096) has occurred in the location 0x0012e77d when I reach the final
closing down Windows screen. I have the option to cancel or debug but if
left, Windows simply closes down anyway. This doesn't seem to affect the
working of the computer but is annoying and I wondered if anyone could help
me to correct what ever is causing it.
Thanks.
John

I would also suggest running a disk cleanup and checkdisk:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

Also, install the following:

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

What's User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean)?
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=42257

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jrsjs" wrote:

| Hello,
| I have started getting a notice that the exception Priviledged instruction
| (0xc0000096) has occurred in the location 0x0012e77d when I reach the final
| closing down Windows screen. I have the option to cancel or debug but if
| left, Windows simply closes down anyway. This doesn't seem to affect the
| working of the computer but is annoying and I wondered if anyone could help
| me to correct what ever is causing it.
| Thanks.
| John

Dear Carey,
Thanks for your help. I have SP2 already and I tried the things you
suggested. They seems to have cured the problem.
Much appreciated,
John

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> I would also suggest running a disk cleanup and checkdisk:
>
> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp
>
> How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
>
> Also, install the following:
>
> User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en
>
> What's User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (UPHClean)?
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=42257
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "jrsjs" wrote:
>
> | Hello,
> | I have started getting a notice that the exception Priviledged instruction
> | (0xc0000096) has occurred in the location 0x0012e77d when I reach the final
> | closing down Windows screen. I have the option to cancel or debug but if
> | left, Windows simply closes down anyway. This doesn't seem to affect the
> | working of the computer but is annoying and I wondered if anyone could help
> | me to correct what ever is causing it.
> | Thanks.
> | John

I would say that is splitting hairs. In XP it does say "error checking " and
"Check now".
I have a good anti virus program and anti spyware tools. I run them all
regularly.