What is this limitation worth?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I noticed while watching Transformers: Galaxy Force online that several
Autobots cannot fly when on Earth, but while in space or on the Moon,
they fly about rather well. What would the limitation of Flight which
doesn't work while in Earth gravity (but works in space or low gravity
environments) be worth as a limitation in Champions? Maybe -3/4 or -1?

Mathew

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

>From my perspective this would be a very campaign specific limitation.
In other words, I'd need to know how often the limitation is actually
going to come into play. In a campaign set mostly in space it would
rarely have an impact (-1/4?), but in one set primarly on Earth (or
another planet) it could potentiall be a huge limitations (possibly as
high as -2 if there is a better than reasonable chance the character
might never actually go into space).

JD

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Set in the Transformers campaign. Being in space could come up every
now and again, but most (4 out of 5 or better) adventurers would be on
Earth.

Mathew

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I'd give it a -1/4 (from the section of Limited Power in Hero System
version 5 revised "Power loses about 1 fourth of it's overall
effectiveness").

JD

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Seems like it's more than that. They can't use the power MOST of the
time. They normally live in gravity, they can only use the power in
zero or very low gravity (like on the moon), something that ever for
the characters is not that common. Heck, you get -1/2 for powers that
only work at night, don't you?

Mathew

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In the campain book Terran Empire, one race (Thrinu p47) has flight 12" not
in Gravity above 0.75g (-1/2), Retrainable (-1/2). So if they are only
flying in micro gravity, and not spend in most of thier time in space it
should be greater that -1/2. -1 to -1 1/2.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On 20 Jul 2005 08:13:05 -0700, "John Desmarais"
<jddesmarais@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'd give it a -1/4 (from the section of Limited Power in Hero System
>version 5 revised "Power loses about 1 fourth of it's overall
>effectiveness").

I'd go -1/2. People get that much for "won't work underwater".

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

> On 20 Jul 2005 08:13:05 -0700, "John Desmarais"
> <jddesmarais@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'd give it a -1/4 (from the section of Limited Power in Hero System
>>version 5 revised "Power loses about 1 fourth of it's overall
>>effectiveness").
>>

> I'd go -1/2. People get that much for "won't work underwater".

Only if they can reasonably expect to need to use it underwater.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I'm sorry, I completely misread the question. I was thinking the power
only worked within a gravity field. This is HUGE limitation, -1 to -2
depending on just how often the space will actually be the locale.

John D

John Desmarais wrote:
> I'd give it a -1/4 (from the section of Limited Power in Hero System
> version 5 revised "Power loses about 1 fourth of it's overall
> effectiveness").

But the proposed Power doesn't lose about 1/4 of its overall
effectiveness, it loses about 4/5 of its overall effectiveness!

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Peter Knutsen (usenet) wrote:
> John Desmarais wrote:
> > I'd give it a -1/4 (from the section of Limited Power in Hero System
> > version 5 revised "Power loses about 1 fourth of it's overall
> > effectiveness").
>
> But the proposed Power doesn't lose about 1/4 of its overall
> effectiveness, it loses about 4/5 of its overall effectiveness!
>
> --
> Peter Knutsen
> sagatafl.org

See the post immediately before yours.