So, what benefits do LCDs have over CRTs?

arussell

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
I have been thinking about buying an LCD monitor but ive been looking through the info about em here and I was wondering if LCDs are better than CRTs in any way other than obviously they are a lot smaller. From what ive read, LCDs are slower and creat ghosting, as well as other problems. So..do they have a better picture at all? I want one for gaming mainly and ive been using the same 19" gateway CRT for prolly 6 or 7 years and I really dont have any complaints but if I can get a crisper display with LCD I might make the switch.

ben72227

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
LCD's take up less space, use less power, and have a larger display area (CRT's are measured including the cabinet; LCD's are measured with the display only).

Most modern LCDs don't have problems with ghosting. And you can get them in widescreen (which is awesome). Resolutions are usually better too. I myself am actually using a Gateway Widescreen 19 inch LCD as I type this...It's absolutely brilliant and it was CHEAP - It cost me $230 at CompUSA.

http://accessories.gateway.com/Acce...nch+LCD_381954/1540782R_proddetail.htm?seg=sb