What is the OCV of this character?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I'm trying to adapt a fictional character to Champions, and this
character is a good shot. It is said in their description that they can
hit a speeding golfball at 10 miles away. Any idea what sort of OCV in
Champions RPG would be needed to do this feat (can be ranged levels and
combat levels, of course)?

Mathew
7 answers Last reply
More about what character
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    It's just in the bio for the character, stated as a fact. So I was
    wondering what would be required to pull off this feat. I has planned
    to do some telescopic vision as well. Possilby some of their bonus is
    through a focus, like a scope on the laser rifle.

    Mathew
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Mathew" <mathewignash@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to adapt a fictional character to Champions, and this
    > character is a good shot. It is said in their description that they can
    > hit a speeding golfball at 10 miles away. Any idea what sort of OCV in
    > Champions RPG would be needed to do this feat (can be ranged levels and
    > combat levels, of course)?

    10 miles is about 8000 hexes. Say -22 range penalty, so he would need 22
    ranged kill levels to offset that. (It would be cheaper to buy his EB with
    the advantage "no range penalty").

    Target size... well let's say it's a 64th of a human (3cm vs. 1.8m seems
    right). That's -12 OCV, so he would need an OCV of 12 (from a combination of
    DEX and levels) to give himself a roughly 50/50 chance of hitting it. To
    guarantee a hit, OCV 19 should do the trick.

    Oh, wait, *speeding* golf ball? He'll need, for example, +7 OCV if it's
    going 144kph... a cricket ball would be doing that or more but I have no
    idea how fast a golf ball normally travels. Any golfers in the audience?

    --
    David Meadows
    "More than elite, they were unique. The first of a new

    You should also buy him some kind of sensory powers so he can
    see the damned thing from 10 miles away, but that should be
    simple enough. Maybe not cheap, but simple.

    Question - has he actually performed this miraculous feat,
    or is just a "He's so good he can..." boast on someone's part?
    And why a golf ball?

    Pete
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    In article <1121862465.919846.145160@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    mathewignash@comcast.net says...

    >I'm trying to adapt a fictional character to Champions, and this
    >character is a good shot. It is said in their description that they can
    >hit a speeding golfball at 10 miles away. Any idea what sort of OCV in
    >Champions RPG would be needed to do this feat (can be ranged levels and
    >combat levels, of course)?

    OCV? 3 or so.

    Just buy lots of area affect.

    You'll hit that golfball--and the whole golf course with it.

    -Tim
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    In article <UuGDe.15595$HV1.5353@fed1read07>,
    try@again.spammers (The Enigmatic One) wrote:

    > In article <1121862465.919846.145160@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > mathewignash@comcast.net says...
    > >

    > >I'm trying to adapt a fictional character to Champions, and this
    > >character is a good shot. It is said in their description that they can
    > >hit a speeding golfball at 10 miles away. Any idea what sort of OCV in
    > >Champions RPG would be needed to do this feat (can be ranged levels and
    > >combat levels, of course)?
    >
    > OCV? 3 or so.
    >
    > Just buy lots of area affect.
    >
    > You'll hit that golfball--and the whole golf course with it.

    I've used AOE: Radius (+1), Single Target Only (-0) to simulate an
    attack that never missed. No Range Penalty (+1/2) is usually needed
    also.

    --
    Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
    indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham

    "Indiana Joe" <indianajoe3@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In article <UuGDe.15595$HV1.5353@fed1read07>,
    > try@again.spammers (The Enigmatic One) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1121862465.919846.145160@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    >> mathewignash@comcast.net says...
    >> >

    >> >I'm trying to adapt a fictional character to Champions, and this
    >> >character is a good shot. It is said in their description that they can
    >> >hit a speeding golfball at 10 miles away. Any idea what sort of OCV in
    >> >Champions RPG would be needed to do this feat (can be ranged levels and
    >> >combat levels, of course)?
    >>
    >> OCV? 3 or so.
    >>
    >> Just buy lots of area affect.
    >>
    >> You'll hit that golfball--and the whole golf course with it.
    >
    > I've used AOE: Radius (+1), Single Target Only (-0) to simulate an
    > attack that never missed. No Range Penalty (+1/2) is usually needed
    > also.

    Nice one.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    David Meadows wrote:
    > 10 miles is about 8000 hexes. Say -22 range penalty, so he would need 22
    > ranged kill levels to offset that. (It would be cheaper to buy his EB with
    > the advantage "no range penalty").
    >
    > Target size... well let's say it's a 64th of a human (3cm vs. 1.8m seems
    > right). That's -12 OCV, so he would need an OCV of 12 (from a combination of
    > DEX and levels) to give himself a roughly 50/50 chance of hitting it. To
    > guarantee a hit, OCV 19 should do the trick.
    >
    > Oh, wait, *speeding* golf ball? He'll need, for example, +7 OCV if it's
    > going 144kph... a cricket ball would be doing that or more but I have no
    > idea how fast a golf ball normally travels. Any golfers in the audience?

    Can't he buy some cheaper Penalty Skill Levels? instead of the more
    expensive Combat Skill Levels?

    IIRC there are PSLs to counter range penalties and to counter target
    velocity penalties. Might be some to counter target size penalties as well.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

Games Video Games