Sign in with
Your question

External Hard disk speeds compared to internal

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2004 11:55:13 AM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could answer a question for me ...

My laptop has a 60gb ata133 5400rpm drive in it i wanted to upgrade but was considering an external hard disk with at least 7200rpm and 120gb

i have a both usb 2.0 and firewire built in to the machine and wondered would an external drive be just as fast (hopefully faster) than my current drive for games to be installed on it and such

Thanks for your help in advance
August 9, 2004 8:38:50 PM

There is no way that an external drive will be as fast as internals. Firewire is faster than USB2.0. Better put your data on the external and installing your game on the internal.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
August 10, 2004 1:29:47 AM

Firewire external IS faster than your laptop drive any day, any time, any place, and in any way. You WILL see it for yourself when you WILL run game from laptop drive and then do the same from Firewire.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
August 10, 2004 6:24:19 AM

Yes, this time I can agree! A fast drive should keep the Firewire's 50MB/s bandwidth filled most of the time. While that's a limitting factor, it's not nearly as bad as the fact many 5400RPM hard drives have difficulting maintaining 33MB/s, even if they're rated "ATA100"!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 10, 2004 7:54:08 PM

FINALLY, I earned THE Crashman's approval on something ;) 

PS: that was a tough one to get though, hehehe

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
!