john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

When I press CTRL+ALT+DEL the task manager appears for a second, then
minimizes itself to the icon tray. When I position the mouse over the icon
it disappears. I've run Norton Antivirus, Ad-aware, Spy Sweeper and
Microsoft Anti Spyware, but none of them identify a virus relating to this
problem. Has anyone seen this type of problem before ?

Yes, and it is related to one or more virus infections or other types of malware.

For additional help see www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Create Emergency Copies of Critical XP System Utilities. This small VB Program will create backup, usable copies of Task Manger, Regedit and MSConfig (named Copy_of_Taskmgr.exe, Copy_of_Regedit.com and Copy_of_MSConfig.exe) in a new folder C:\EmergencyUtil. Many virus programs will intercept these programs, based on their original file name. The modified file names, allow them to be run. Open Windows Explorer to C:\EmergencyUtil and double click the application you need. The next revision will allow you to browse for the folder you want to place the backups in.

In some cases, it may be necessary to rename even the backup copies, so that the filenames do not contain the exact wordings of MSCONFIG, TASKMGR and REGEDIT.

Additionally, see the Win XP Utilities section for Startup Programs Tracker. This small utility scans your system for startup programs and running processes. It also allows you to create a log file that can be copied and pasted into a newsgroup post. The contents of the program window are also copied to the Windows Clipboard, automatically. For replies to newsgroup posts, do NOT include the Running Services, unless its absolutely necessary.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"john" <johnfkelly@cox.net> wrote in message news:%23OGrx1BgFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When I press CTRL+ALT+DEL the task manager appears for a second, then
> minimizes itself to the icon tray. When I position the mouse over the icon
> it disappears. I've run Norton Antivirus, Ad-aware, Spy Sweeper and
> Microsoft Anti Spyware, but none of them identify a virus relating to this
> problem. Has anyone seen this type of problem before ?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Thank you. After creating and renaming the Copy_of taskmgr file I was able
to recover.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"john" <johnfkelly@cox.net> wrote in message
> When I press CTRL+ALT+DEL the task manager appears for a second, then
> minimizes itself to the icon tray. When I position the mouse over the icon
> it disappears. I've run Norton Antivirus, Ad-aware, Spy Sweeper and
> Microsoft Anti Spyware, but none of them identify a virus relating to this
> problem. Has anyone seen this type of problem before ?

You're welcome :)