is my moniter faulty? samsung 225BW

phar31

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I just recently bought the Samsung 225BW

However I got it from CompUSA, Anyway Im not to LCD savvy and want to know if i got a faulty moniter or if the problems i have with mine are just part of owning an LCD right now.

i have it hooked up with a DVI cable and all drivers installed and software it came with.

1. I have pretty bad backlight bleeding on top and bottom of moniter which i assumed i would get going into this just did not think it would be as bad as it is.

2. It occasionally flickers a full black screen with no errors then returns back to whatever i was doing it is very random.

3. the color distortion, It is so much noticably lighter on the bottom half of the screen then the top. and i have played with all the color setings. however if i tilt the moniter so it faces practically downward this goes away. however nobody would use there moniter with it facing down the angle is way to bogus. colors are so much darker at top then bottom drives me nuts.

and then just a question i have. why does the auto adjust button not work? and if i wanted to use a different resolution other then the native 1680 x 1050 so everything appears bigger how can i make it so everything looks half way decent? or does this have to do with not having 1:1 scaling ???( sometimes i like a bigger resolution , my eyes are bad =) )

P.S. i have a 7600GT. anybody else with this display have any issues? i wanna know befor my 14 days are up so i can take it back, i really dont want to for i really like this moniter it seems to have great potential.

UPnP

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
How are these monitor manufacturers such as Samsung able to print incorrect and false data on their monitors on the box? I think it's false advertising. Don't they have to print correct data and test results, i.e., correct response rates/timings, etc? There should be standardized tests for all monitors that are objectively tested by third parties and THOSE results should be on the box!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Hope my reply doesn't come in too late for you.
I'm using a Samsung 225BW and I'm quite happy with it. You may have had a faulty one. I don't have any of the problems you mentioned.
Of course, you installed the driver properly (have you checked the Website for the most current drivers).
It is, as it was said earlier in this thread, a TN panel. However, TN technology was one the first technology used in LCD manufacturing, and thus has now matured quite a bit. People spitting on TN-based panels nowadays are neglecting a mature technology that is offering affordable quality.
Don't turn your back on it, just try another one.