D630 laptop memory

This is an extract from the specs of D630 laptop memory:

Memory module connector two user-accessible SODIMM sockets
Memory module capacities 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB
4-GB capable
Memory type DDR2 SODIMM
Minimum memory 512 MB
Maximum memory 4 GB/8 GB capable

Of two different laptops that I have, one has a 2GB PC2 5300 (667 MHz) RAM module. (The other has two 1GB PC2 5300 modules).

Can I install two identical 2 GB PC2 6400 (800 MHz) RAM modules in one of these laptops? Dell's specs are not clear regarding the 800MHz memory. (I know that two modules of 2GB each 667 MHz will work).

Thank you!

kit_fox

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
It would be nice but unfortunately not. additionally these systems are prone to failure at any time if they have the discrete graphics option due to an issue with the NVIDIA chip used with that upgrade, however thats a bit of luck of the draw as I have had one for years that has worked great.

I have one D630 that works; two 1GB RAM modules 667MHz, and one D630 with a one 2GB RAM module 667 MHz on which the Dell replaced motherboard has failed again (2nd failure).

I have some RAM options to consider to increase the RAM to 4GB from 2GB, but again, 2GB is all I need for this laptop; works well with 2 GB (667).

kit_fox

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Unfortunately the Dell replacement boards on that second one will continue to go out in my experience. The warranty replacements are refurbished parts that Dell sends out that supposedly do not have the NVIDIA GPU issue when in fact they actually do (source: My time working at Dell doing support for the business models). To be fair Dell was not the only system vendor affected by the issue but if you are interested you can read more about it here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-failure-g84-g86-settlement,11400.html

IMHO I would seriously consider saving some cash once the warranty is out and upgrading to the E series latitudes if you still want a Dell. They had much fewer issues.

Thank you kit_fox!

You have confirmed my worst fears regarding the replacement motherboards for the D630 from Dell.

I will attempt to get them to replace the defective motherboard that they used as a replacement for the first motherboard that went bad.

Thank you once again for your valuable input!

kit_fox

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
That is where it gets tricky as all parts you get for the D630 are going to be refurbished parts. When Dell transitioned from D series to E series on the latitude line they ceased manufacturing pretty much all D series parts. Since most of the warranties have run out or will soon they rely on warehouse stocked refurbished parts to fulfill their warranty obligations. You may unfortunately continue to have the problem at varying times until you replace the system either through warranty (which again wont happen unless a strict set of circumstances are met) or through purchase.

To exchange a system Dell requires a mimimum of 3 major parts dispatches for the same issue within if i remember correctly a 3 or 6 month period or if you have an accidental damage contract the system must be damaged beyond economical repair. However...some of the motherboards they send out for replacement or originally will never have an issue, my D630 for example has never so much as even had a hard drive replaced much less a motherboard. It's sort of a shot in the dark.

TomBrooklyn

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

Which NVIDIA GPUs were the problem?