Installing XP - license question

I don't have the license with me, however, I have two computers at home. My
dad uses his and I use my own as I use the computer far more often. It seems
that, from what I can tell, XP supports up to five users. My mom rarely uses
the computer and that's about it. Three users, two computers.

The question is simple though. Can I install XP on my computer and my dad's
computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)? Only three users
will be using it, below the limit. I'd like to upgrade from Windows 98 SE as
I'm reading about a lot of minuses about it, especially memory management.

Also, I develop games using Gamestudio. Would games run faster in XP
without anything in the way of a hardware change?

Finally, XP has all those fades and stuff - they cause the computer to go
slower from more processor usage. Is there a way I can disable this to speed
up my computer? To me, speed is the name of the game.
12 answers Last reply
More about installing license question

    ulillillia wrote:
    > I don't have the license with me, however, I have two computers at
    > home. My dad uses his and I use my own as I use the computer far
    > more often. It seems that, from what I can tell, XP supports up to
    > five users. My mom rarely uses the computer and that's about it.
    > Three users, two computers.

    So? Windows XP (and prior Microsoft Windows Operating Systems -
    non-server) are not licensed "per user" - they are licensed "per
    installation". Simply put - although Windows XP (Home or Pro) can support a
    lot (more than 5 - certainly) of individual users (eachg with their own
    look/feel) - each installation requires another license to be purchased.. So
    if you install Windows XP on the same system twice (at the same time) - you
    need two licenses. In your case - you need two licenses for the two
    computers that you will be installing Windows XP onto (one time each.) Your
    parents and yourself and guests and whatever can have users on weach of the
    systems - add as many as you would like for users..

    > The question is simple though. Can I install XP on my computer and
    > my dad's computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)?
    > Only three users will be using it, below the limit. I'd like to
    > upgrade from Windows 98 SE as I'm reading about a lot of minuses
    > about it, especially memory management.

    No - one install = one license.
    What "limit" are you speaking of - there is no user limit.

    > Also, I develop games using Gamestudio. Would games run faster in XP
    > without anything in the way of a hardware change?

    Than what?
    What is your system specs? Windows XP can use memory more effectively - but
    you need more for XP than prior OSes.

    > Finally, XP has all those fades and stuff - they cause the computer
    > to go slower from more processor usage. Is there a way I can disable
    > this to speed up my computer? To me, speed is the name of the game.

    Yes - turn them off in the Advanced System tab under performance and look
    into "TweakUI" from Microsoft.

    Print this list - it will help you maintain and optimize your computers:

    Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the
    various things that could happen to you/it:

    Protect your PC

    Although those tips are fantastic, there are many things you should
    know above and beyond what is there. Below I have detailed
    out many steps that can not only help you clean-up a problem PC but
    keep it clean ,secure and running at its top performance mark.

    I know this text can seem intimidating - it is quite long and a lot
    to take in for a novice - but I assure you that one trip through this
    list and you will understand your computer and the options available
    to you for protecting your data much better - and that the next time
    you review these steps, the time it takes will be greatly reduced.

    Let's take the cleanup of your computer step-by-step. Yes, it will take
    up some of your time - but consider what you use your computer
    for and how much you would dislike it if all of your stuff on your
    computer went away because you did not "feel like" performing some
    simple maintenance tasks - think of it like taking out your garbage,
    collecting and sorting your postal mail, paying your bills on time,
    etc.

    I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this
    document is about; however, here is a place for you poor souls still
    stuck in Windows 98/ME where you can get information on maintaining
    your system:

    Windows 98 and 'Maintaining Your Computer':
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/maintaining/

    Windows ME Computer Health:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/using/computerhealth/articles/

    Pay close attention to the sections:
    (in order)
    - Clean up your hard disk
    - Check for errors by running ScanDisk
    - Defragment your hard disk
    - Roll back the clock with System Restore

    Also - now is a good time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
    information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

    Search using Google!
    http://www.google.com/
    (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

    Now, let's go through some maintenance first that should only have to be
    done once (mostly):

    Tip (1):
    Locate all of the software you have installed on your computer.
    (the installation media - CDs, downloaded files, etc)
    Collect these CDs and files together in a central and safe
    place along with their CD keys and such. Make backups of these
    installation media sets using your favorite copying method (CD/DVD Burner
    and application, Disk copier, etc.) You'll be glad to know that if you
    have a CD/DVD burner, you may be able to use a free application to make a
    duplicate copy of your CDs. One such application is ISORecorder:

    ISORecorder page (with general instructions on use):
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/beta.htm

    Yes - it is BETA software - but very useful and well tested.

    More full function applications (free) for CD/DVD burning would be:

    DeepBurner Free
    http://www.deepburner.com/

    CDBurnerXP Pro
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Another Option would be to search the web with Pricewatch.com or
    Dealsites.net and find deals on Products like Ahead Nero and/or Roxio.

    Tip (2):
    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
    size between 128MB and 512MB..

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
    following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
    something between 128MB and 512MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right
    now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
    (the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
    minutes or more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
    Explorer.

    Tip (3):
    If things are running a bit sluggish and/or you have an older system
    (1.5GHz or less and 256MB RAM or less) then you may want to look into
    tweaking the performance by turning off some of the 'resource hogging'
    Windows XP "prettifications". The fastest method is:

    Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Performance section,
    Settings button. Then choose "adjust for best performance" and you
    now have a Windows 2000/98 look which turned off most of the annoying
    "prettifications" in one swift action. You can play with the last
    three checkboxes to get more of an XP look without many of the
    other annoyances. You could also grab and install/use one
    (or more) of the Microsoft Powertoys - TweakUI in particular:

    Tip (4):
    Understanding what a good password might be is vital to your
    personal and system security. You may think you do not need to password
    your home computer, as you may have it in a locked area (your home) where
    no one else has access to it. Remember, however, you aren't always
    "in that locked area" when using your computer online - meaning you likely
    have usernames and passwords associated with web sites and the likes that
    you would prefer other people do not discover/use. This is why you should
    understand and utilize good passwords.

    Good passwords are those that meet these general rules
    (mileage may vary):

    Passwords should contain at least six characters, and the character
    string should contain at least three of these four character types:
    - uppercase letters
    - lowercase letters
    - numerals
    - nonalphanumeric characters (e.g., *, %, &, !, :)

    Passwords should not contain your name/username.
    Passwords should be unique to you and easy to remember.

    One method many people are using today is to make up a phrase that
    describes a point in their life and then turning that phrase into their
    password by using only certain letters out of each word in that phrase.
    It's much better than using your birthday month/year or your anniversary
    in a pure sense. For example, let's say my phrase is:
    'Moved to new home in 2004'
    I could come up with this password from that:
    'Mv2n3whmN04'

    The password tip is in the one time section, but I highly
    recommend you periodically change your passwords. The suggested time
    varies, but I will throw out a 'once in every 3 to 6 months for
    every account you have.'

    Tip (5):
    This tip is also 'questionable' in the one time section; however -
    if properly setup - this one can be pretty well ignored for most people
    after the initial 'fiddle-with' time.

    Why you should use a computer firewall..
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/fwbenefits.mspx

    You should, in some way, use a firewall. Hardware (like a nice
    Cable Modem/DSL router) or software is up to you. Many use both of
    these. The simplest one to use is the hardware one, as most people
    don't do anything that they will need to configure their NAT device
    for and those who do certainly will not mind fiddling with the equipment
    to make things work for them. Next in the line of simplicity would
    have to be the built-in Windows Firewall of Windows XP. In SP2 it
    is turned on by default. It is not difficult to turn on in any
    case, however:

    Enable/Disable the Internet Connection Firewall (Pre-SP2):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

    More information on the Internet Connection Firewall (Pre-SP2):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320855

    Post-SP2 Windows Firewall Information/guidance:
    http://snipurl.com/atal

    The trouble with the Windows Firewall is that it only keeps things
    out. For most people who maintain their system in other ways, this is
    MORE than sufficient. However, you may feel otherwise. If you want to
    know when one of your applications is trying to obtain access to the
    outside world so you can stop it, then you will have to install a
    third-party application and configure/maintain it. I have compiled a
    list with links of some of the better known/free firewalls you can choose
    from:

    BlackICE PC Protection (~$39.95 and up)
    http://blackice.iss.net/

    Jetico Personal Firewall (Free)
    http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

    Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) (Free and up)
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

    Outpost Firewall from Agnitum (Free and up)
    http://www.agnitum.com/download/

    Sygate Personal Firewall (Free and up)
    http://smb.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

    Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall (~$25 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/npf/

    ZoneAlarm (Free and up)
    http://snipurl.com/6ohg

    You should find the right firewall for your situation in that
    list and set it up.

    Every firewall WILL require some maintenance. Essentially checking for
    patches or upgrades (this goes for hardware and software solutions) is
    the extent of this maintenance - you may also have to configure your
    firewall to allow some traffic depending on your needs.

    ** Don't stack the software firewalls! Running more than one software
    firewall will not make you safer - it would possibly negate some
    protection you gleamed from one or the other firewall you run.

    Now that you have some of the more basic things down..
    Let's go through some of the steps you should take periodically to
    maintain a healthy and stable windows computer. If you have not
    done some of these things in the past, they may seem tedious - however,
    they will become routine and some can even be automatically scheduled.

    Tip (6):
    The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows
    ME and then sticking around for Windows XP. It is a useful feature
    if you keep it maintained and use it to your advantage. Remember that
    the system restore pretty much tells you in the name what it protects
    which is 'system' files. Your documents, your pictures, your stuff is
    NOT system files - so you should also look into some backup solution.

    I have seen the automatic system restore go wrong too many times not
    to suggest the following.. Whenever you think about it (after doing a
    once-over on your machine once a month or so would be optimal) - clear
    out your System Restore and create a manual restoration point.

    'Why?'

    Too many times have I seen the system restore files go corrupt or get
    a virus in them, meaning you could not or did not want to restore from
    them. By clearing it out periodically you help prevent any corruption
    from happening and you make sure you have at least one good "snapshot".
    (*This, of course, will erase any previous restore point you have.*)

    - Turn off System Restore.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
    - Reboot the Computer.
    - Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
    - Make a Manual Restoration Point.
    http://snipurl.com/68nx

    That covers your system files, but doesn't do anything for the files
    that you are REALLY worried about - yours! For that you need to look
    into backups. You can either manually copy your important files, folders,
    documents, spreadsheets, emails, contacts, pictures, drawings and so on
    to an external location (CD/DVD - any disk of some sort, etc) or you can
    use the backup tool that comes with Windows XP:

    How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

    Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
    on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
    then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
    (while you do other things!)

    A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
    so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
    I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
    do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
    backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
    (something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
    performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.

    Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
    completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning
    applications:

    Symantec/Norton Ghost
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/

    Acronis True Image
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage

    Tip (7):
    You should sometimes look through the list of applications that are
    installed on your computer. The list may surprise you. There are more
    than likely things in there you know you never use - so why have them
    there? There may even be things you know you did *not* install and
    certainly do not use (maybe don't WANT to use.)

    This web site should help you get started at looking through this list:

    How to Uninstall Programs
    http://snipurl.com/8v6b

    A word of warning - Do NOT uninstall anything you think you MIGHT need
    in the future unless you have completed Tip (1) and have the installation
    media and proper keys for use backed up somewhere safe!

    Tip (8):
    Patches and Updates!

    This one cannot be stressed enough. It is SO simple, yet so neglected
    by many people. It is especially simple for the critical Windows patches!
    Microsoft put in an AUTOMATED feature for you to utilize so that you do
    NOT have to worry yourself about the patching of the Operating System:

    How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

    However, not everyone wants to be a slave to automation, and that is
    fine. Admittedly, I prefer this method on some of my more critical
    systems.

    Windows Update
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    Go there and scan your machine for updates. Always get the critical ones
    as you see them. Write down the KB###### or Q###### you see when
    selecting the updates and if you have trouble over the next few days,
    go into your control panel (Add/Remove Programs), insure that the
    'Show Updates' checkbox is checked and match up the latest numbers you
    downloaded recently (since you started noticing an issue) and uninstall
    them. If there was more than one (usually is), uninstall them one by one
    with a few hours of use in between, to see if the problem returns.
    Yes - the process is not perfect (updating) and can cause trouble like I
    mentioned - but as you can see, the solution isn't that bad - and is
    MUCH better than the alternatives.

    Windows is not the only product you likely have on your PC. The
    manufacturers of the other products usually have updates. New versions
    of almost everything come out all the time - some are free, some are pay
    and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best
    to check. Just go to their web pages and look under their support and
    download sections. For example, for Microsoft Office you should visit:

    Microsoft Office Updates
    http://office.microsoft.com/
    (and select 'Check for Updates' and/or 'Downloads' for more)

    You also have hardware on your machine that requires drivers to interface
    with the operating system. You have a video card that allows you to see on
    your screen, a sound card that allows you to hear your PCs sound output and
    so on. Visit those manufacturer web sites for the latest downloadable
    drivers for your hardware/operating system. Always get the manufacturers'
    hardware driver over any Microsoft offers. On the Windows Update site I
    mentioned earlier, I suggest NOT getting their hardware drivers - no matter
    how tempting.

    How do you know what hardware you have in your computer? Break out the
    invoice or if it is up and working now - take inventory:

    Belarc Advisor
    http://belarc.com/free_download.html

    EVEREST Home Edition
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

    Once you know what you have, what next? Go get the latest driver for your
    hardware/OS from the manufacturer's web page. For example, let's say you
    have an NVidia chipset video card or ATI video card, perhaps a Creative
    Labs sound card or C-Media chipset sound card...

    NVidia Video Card Drivers

    ATI Video Card Drivers
    http://www.atitech.com/support/driver.html

    Creative Labs Sound Device
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

    C-Media Sound Device
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/e_download_01.htm

    Then install these drivers. Updated drivers are usually more stable and
    may provide extra benefits/features that you really wished you had before.

    As for Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, Microsoft has made this
    particular patch available in a number of ways. First, there is the
    Windows Update web page above. Then there is a direct download site
    and finally, you can order the FREE CD from Microsoft.

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
    http://snipurl.com/8umo

    If all else fails - grab the full download above and try to use that.
    In this case - consider yourself a 'IT professional or developer'.

    Tip (9):
    What about the dreaded word in the computer world, VIRUS?

    Well, there are many products to choose from that will help you prevent
    infections from these horrid little applications. Many are FREE to the
    home user and which you choose is a matter of taste, really. Many people
    have emotional attachments or performance issues with one or another
    AntiVirus software. Try some out, read reviews and decide for yourself
    which you like more:

    ( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    avast! (Free and up)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://free.grisoft.com/

    eset NOD32 (~$39.00 and up)
    http://www.eset.com/products/products.htm

    eTrust EZ Antivirus (~$29.95 and up)
    http://ca.com/store/home/us/hp2/

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

    McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
    http://www.mcafee.com/

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    (Free Online Scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

    Most of them have automatic update capabilities. You will have to
    look into the features of the one you choose. Whatever one you finally
    settle with - be SURE to keep it updated (I recommend at least daily) and
    perform a full scan periodically (yes, most protect you actively, but a
    full scan once a month at 4AM probably won't bother you.)

    Tip (10):
    The most rampant infestation at the current time concerns SPYWARE/ADWARE.
    You need to eliminate it from your machine.

    There is no one software that cleans and immunizes you against
    everything. Antivirus software - you only needed one. Firewall, you
    only needed one. AntiSpyware - you will need several. I have a list and
    I recommend you use at least the first five.

    First - make sure you have NOT installed "Rogue AntiSpyware". There are
    people out there who created AntiSpyware products that actually install
    spyware of their own! You need to avoid these:

    Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

    Also, you can always visit this site..
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    For more updated information.

    Install the first five of these: (Install, Run, Update, Scan with..)
    (If you already have one or more - uninstall them and download the
    LATEST version from the page given!)

    Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

    Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
    http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

    SpywareBlaster (Free!)
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )

    IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

    CWShredder Stand-Alone (Free!)

    Hijack This! (Free!)
    (Log Analyzer: http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/ )

    ToolbarCop (Free!)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

    Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA (in testing stages - Free!)
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/fqur )

    Browser Security Tests (Free Tester)
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

    Popup Tester (Free Tester)
    http://www.popuptest.com/

    The Cleaner (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.moosoft.com/

    Sometimes you need to install the application and reboot into SAFE MODE in
    order to thoroughly clean your computer. Many applications also have
    (or are) immunization applications. Spybot Search and Destroy and
    SpywareBlaster are two that currently do the best job at passively
    protecting your system from malware. None of these programs (in these
    editions) run in the background unless you TELL them to. The space they
    take up and how easy they are to use greatly makes up for any inconvenience
    you may be feeling.

    Please notice that Windows XP SP2 does help stop popups as well.

    Another option is to use an alternative Web browser. I suggest
    'Mozilla Firefox', as it has some great features and is very easy to use:

    Mozilla Firefox

    So your machine is pretty clean and up to date now. If you use the sections
    above as a guide, it should stay that way as well! There are still a few
    more things you can do to keep your machine running in top shape.

    Tip (11):
    You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
    them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
    outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
    your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
    before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...

    How to use Disk Cleanup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    How to scan your disks for errors
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

    How to Defragment your hard drives
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

    I would personally perform the above steps at least once every three months.
    For most people this should be sufficient, but if the difference you notice
    afterwards is greater than you think it should be, lessen the time in
    between its schedule.. If the difference you notice is negligible, you can
    increase the time.

    Tip (12):
    SPAM! JUNK MAIL!
    This one can get annoying, just like the rest. You get 50 emails in one
    sitting and 2 of them you wanted. NICE! (Not.) What can you do? Well,
    although there are services out there to help you, some email
    servers/services that actually do lower your spam with features built into
    their servers - I still like the methods that let you be the end-decision
    maker on what is spam and what is not. I have two products to suggest to
    you, look at them and see if either of them suite your needs. Again, if
    they don't, Google is free and available for your perusal.

    SpamBayes (Free!)
    http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

    Spamihilator (Free!)
    http://www.spamihilator.com/

    As I said, those are not your only options, but are reliable ones I have
    seen function for hundreds+ people.

    Tip (13):
    ADVANCED TIP! Only do this once you are comfortable under the hood of your
    computer!

    There are lots of services on your PC that are probably turned on by default
    you don't use. Why have them on? Check out these web pages to see what all
    of the services you might find on your computer are and set them according
    to your personal needs. Be CAREFUL what you set to manual, and take heed
    and write down as you change things! Also, don't expect a large performance
    increase or anything - especially on today's 2+ GHz machines, however - I
    look at each service you set to manual as one less service you have to worry
    about someone exploiting.

    Configuring Services
    http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

    Task List Programs

    Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/

    There are also applications that AREN'T services that startup when you start
    up the computer/logon. One of the better description on how to handle these
    I have found here:

    Startups
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    If you follow the advice laid out above (and do some of your own research as
    well, so you understand what you are doing) - your computer will stay fairly
    stable and secure and you will have a more trouble-free system.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    In news:1BE478D2-6580-42CA-B6B8-CB1592464C68@microsoft.com,
    ulillillia <ulillillia@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Can I install XP on my computer and
    > my dad's computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)?

    No.

    > Also, I develop games using Gamestudio. Would games run faster in XP
    > without anything in the way of a hardware change?

    Not likely.

    > Finally, XP has all those fades and stuff - they cause the computer
    > to go slower from more processor usage. Is there a way I can disable
    > this to speed up my computer? To me, speed is the name of the game.

    Control Panel > Classic View > System > Advanced tab > Performance settings
    > tick Adjust for best performance.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Hi,

    Two computers need two licenses regardless of the number of users (and the
    number of users per machine can be a lot more than 5). You can buy one CD
    and purchase an additional license.

    WindowsXP Professional additional licenses:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    WindowsXP Home additional licenses:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    These can only be used with retail versions of WindowsXP, so do not purchase
    a slightly cheaper OEM version if you want to go this route. If you but OEM,
    buy two of them.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "ulillillia" <ulillillia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I don't have the license with me, however, I have two computers at home.
    >My
    > dad uses his and I use my own as I use the computer far more often. It
    > seems
    > that, from what I can tell, XP supports up to five users. My mom rarely
    > uses
    > the computer and that's about it. Three users, two computers.
    >
    > The question is simple though. Can I install XP on my computer and my
    > dad's
    > computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)? Only three
    > users
    > will be using it, below the limit. I'd like to upgrade from Windows 98 SE
    > as
    > I'm reading about a lot of minuses about it, especially memory management.
    >
    > Also, I develop games using Gamestudio. Would games run faster in XP
    > without anything in the way of a hardware change?
    >
    > Finally, XP has all those fades and stuff - they cause the computer to go
    > slower from more processor usage. Is there a way I can disable this to
    > speed
    > up my computer? To me, speed is the name of the game.

    Rats. I was hoping that I could install it on multiple computers. I've seen
    XP for $200, way too pricy for me to handle. That's one of the big negatives
    about XP, the price. It's also more prone to viruses as well (hackers target
    it far more than 98). Since I do happen to have Windows 98 SE (as I'm using
    it right now, have been since like Dec 1999), how much would an upgrade to XP
    cost? $189 (knowing 98 is so old, the upgrade wouldn't be that effective)?
    I also know that there's XP Home and XP Pro. What's the difference?

    I keep my computer quite tidy, except for user-created temporary files
    (files not created by Windows in normal means, but solely by the user, such
    as BMP files of old textures that have been replaces, ZIP tests from Winzip
    (to test compression), and other old files that have been replaced or were
    mainly for backup from having to do a big change.

    Defragging takes forever. I never use it for this reason. When I was doing
    a defrag, 7 hours later, only 17% was completed. Only 7 gigs of files were
    to be defragged, about 8500 of which are BMP files (for animation frames
    within the my documents directory alone). I was too tired so I had to cancel
    it. At that rate, it would easily have taken a few days to finish. Knowing
    how much I use the computer, this isn't worth it. I really don't notice much
    of a speed change anyway.... I work with baby files, stuff usually no more
    than 1 megabyte in size.

    Windows XP Home supports up to 5 concurrent connections to the computer, not
    5 users or 5 installs on different computers.

    Windows XP Professional supports up to 10 concurrent connections to the
    computer, not 10 users or 10 installs on different computers.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    ulillillia wrote:
    > I don't have the license with me, however, I have two computers at
    > home. My dad uses his and I use my own as I use the computer far
    > more often. It seems that, from what I can tell, XP supports up to
    > five users. My mom rarely uses the computer and that's about it.
    > Three users, two computers.
    >
    > The question is simple though. Can I install XP on my computer and
    > my dad's computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)?
    > Only three users will be using it, below the limit. I'd like to
    > upgrade from Windows 98 SE as I'm reading about a lot of minuses
    > about it, especially memory management.
    >
    > Also, I develop games using Gamestudio. Would games run faster in XP
    > without anything in the way of a hardware change?
    >
    > Finally, XP has all those fades and stuff - they cause the computer
    > to go slower from more processor usage. Is there a way I can disable
    > this to speed up my computer? To me, speed is the name of the game.

    Licensing question aside, since all anyone can do is give you their
    interpretation of it, if you have a computer designed to run Windows 9x,
    then running XP on it, even with it strip to the bones will run slower,
    than 9x.

    The best time to upgrade your OS is when you get a new computer.

    Now as for licensing, MS's EULA is not a law unto itself, just like
    every other contract is NOT a law unto itself. The final authority of
    its meaning, is not you, not MS, and not all those here so willing to
    present their interpretation of the EULA as an established fact. The
    final authority is that of a court of law. In the thirteen years since
    MS has added its One Computer term to Windows, they have yet to try to
    get a court to enforce it on one single private individual, as MS knows
    that they don't have a very good case. You see, MS's software is
    copyrighted material, and as such, you, as a individual, have "fair use"
    rights to the copyrighted material you have legal access to, so MS's
    EULA claims to usurp your "fair use" rights in your home, through a
    post-sale shrink-wrap license, has yet to be established, so until MS
    gets the balls to prove its CLAIMS, you have every right under the law
    to follow your own interpretation of your "fair use" rights in the
    privacy of your own home.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    I'm in the slow process of upgrading my custom-built computer. I've got a
    new hard drive coming (mainly for speed reasons, capacity isn't my concern)
    and it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. I've got a mix of old and new
    hardware, mostly new. My floppy drive is the oldest piece of hardware. It's
    7 years old and boy is it noisy, so noisy that it can be heard halfway across
    the house with ease (though faint (5 dB)). The next oldest is my hard drive
    and keyboard being 5 1/2 years old. Newer yet is either the processor or the
    8x CD burner drive. I have a 1.05 GHz Duron processor (and plan to upgrade
    to 2.0 GHz, but this means having to get another motherboard.... You don't
    really see anything less than 2.0 GHz nowadays.). My other stuff was
    designed for XP, my Radeon 9600 XT I got about a half a year ago works quite
    well.

    http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Hi,

    Yep, it's not cheap. As kurttrail has mentioned, you want to carefully
    consider whether or not to upgrade a Win98 system. WinXP needs lots of space
    and lots of ram to run decently. Another consideration is attached
    peripherals - are there XP compatible ones available? If not, some of your
    hardware may not work. Also, if your Win98 system was preinstalled, it may
    have proprietary hardware requiring drivers not available in the retail
    version of WinXP. You may want to check with the system manufacturer for
    compatibility.

    Defragging delays in a Win98 system are usually caused by interference from
    software writing to the drive. Each time it happens, the process restarts. I
    would suggest killing all tasks except explorer using ctrl+alt+delete, and
    disabling the screensaver before trying to run it.

    --

    ulillillia wrote:
    > I don't have the license with me, however, I have two computers at home. My
    > dad uses his and I use my own as I use the computer far more often. It seems
    > that, from what I can tell, XP supports up to five users. My mom rarely uses
    > the computer and that's about it. Three users, two computers.
    >
    > The question is simple though. Can I install XP on my computer and my dad's
    > computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)? Only three users
    > will be using it, below the limit. I'd like to upgrade from Windows 98 SE as
    > I'm reading about a lot of minuses about it, especially memory management.

    You seem to be confused permitted network connections with installation
    licenses. The two are completely unrelated. WinXP Home permits up to
    five simultaneous inbound network connections to the computer on which
    it's installed, while WinXP Pro permits up to 10 such connections.
    However, you still need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each
    computer on which you install it.

    Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
    copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
    technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
    is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
    final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
    licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
    Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
    Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
    multiple installations using a single license.

    > Also, I develop games using Gamestudio. Would games run faster in XP
    > without anything in the way of a hardware change?

    That would depend entirely upon the design and coding of each game.

    > Finally, XP has all those fades and stuff - they cause the computer to go
    > slower from more processor usage.

    Only if you have a video adapter that's under-powered and/or lacks
    sufficient RAM of its own.

    > Is there a way I can disable this to speed
    > up my computer? To me, speed is the name of the game.

    If speed is your sole goal, upgrade your hardware. Also, WinXP's
    eye-candy can be turned off to help a bit, if you've inadequate hardware:

    To help improve WinXP's performance on older machines:

    1) Right-click the Task Bar > Properties > Start Menu, ensure "Classic
    Start menu" is selected.

    2) Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop > Properties > Themes >
    select "Windows Classic."

    3) Right-click My Computer > Properties > Performance > Settings >
    Visual Effects, ensure "Adjust for best performance" is selected.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > ulillillia wrote:
    >> I don't have the license with me, however, I have two computers at
    >> home. My dad uses his and I use my own as I use the computer far
    >> more often. It seems that, from what I can tell, XP supports up to
    >> five users. My mom rarely uses the computer and that's about it.
    >> Three users, two computers. The question is simple though. Can I
    >> install XP on my computer and
    >> my dad's computer using the same CD (we only have one CD available)?
    >> Only three users will be using it, below the limit. I'd like to
    >> upgrade from Windows 98 SE as I'm reading about a lot of minuses
    >> about it, especially memory management.
    >

    > You seem to be confused permitted network connections with
    > installation licenses. The two are completely unrelated. WinXP Home
    > permits up to five simultaneous inbound network connections to the
    > computer on which it's installed, while WinXP Pro permits up to 10
    > such connections. However, you still need to purchase a separate
    > WinXP license for each computer on which you install it.
    >
    > Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
    > systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
    > U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html),
    > if not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer
    > on which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright
    > law to determine final applicability in your locale.) <snip>

    Yes, please consult a lawyer, if you cannot see for yourself that Bruce
    is also a big fat liar. He uses a law that is a limitation on the
    exclusive rights of the copyright owner, like Microsoft, and falsely
    presents it as a limitation on you an owner of a copy of software.

    http://tinyurl.com/hhjj - 314 times with your previous incarnation, "to
    be in compliance with both the EULA and copyright laws."
    http://snipurl.com/d81h - 146 times with your latest incarnation, "to be
    in compliance with both the EULA and U.S. copyright."

    The title of the Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 117 is "Limitations on
    exclusive rights: Computer programs"

    And under copyright law that only group that has "exclusive rights" are
    COPYRIGHT OWNERS, like Microsoft.

    But Brucey doesn't care about purposefully repeating his false
    statements. He is a propagandist in the same mold as Goebels. Repeat
    something often enough, and people will begin to believe, no matter how
    much of a lie it really is.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    > ulillillia wrote:

    > change.
    >
    > Defragging takes forever. I never use it for this reason.

    You are asking for problems. Try defragging it in Safe Mode.

    Alias

Computers License Windows XP