Virus or System file?

There is a system file that freezes my computer every time I run virus scan
software. It gets to this file and my computer crashes. The file name is
smdat32a.sys. Is this a valid system file or is it a virus? What should I do
about it?
24 answers Last reply
More about virus system file

    Not a system file.

    It looks like smdat32a.sys is part of Twain-Tech.

    eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia - Twain-Tech
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453078844

    Twain-Tech Removal
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/343-p1.php

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:36882003-78B2-4D90-A2AC-FA5FC2F14AAE@microsoft.com,
    GoldenDiscord5 <GoldenDiscord5@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > There is a system file that freezes my computer every time I run virus
    > scan software. It gets to this file and my computer crashes. The file
    > name is smdat32a.sys. Is this a valid system file or is it a virus? What
    > should I do about it?

    Adware.Topsearch
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.topsearch.html

    Your PC is probably now infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "GoldenDiscord5" wrote:

    | There is a system file that freezes my computer every time I run virus scan
    | software. It gets to this file and my computer crashes. The file name is
    | smdat32a.sys. Is this a valid system file or is it a virus? What should I do
    | about it?

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
    this to say:

    > Your PC is probably now infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

    I guess I should finish Carey's statement ... do to the fact you're running
    that wonderful eXPerience operating system ... that he's so proud of.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
    this to say: NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL and publicize
    is inability to help users seeking professional assistance.

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
    this to say:

    > From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
    > this to say:

    Sorry to burst your bubble there Carey, but Linux doesn't get spyware,
    malware or viruses. It's just not part of the Linux eXPerience.

    > NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL and publicize
    > is inability to help users seeking professional assistance.

    I help those I chose to help around here. That usually means helping those
    who have NOT been helped by the likes of you and some of your buddies. As
    for "professional assistance" ... the last place anyone will find that is
    from YOU. Unless of course getting links to articles on MickeyMouse's
    website is your idea of "professional assistance".

    --

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
    > this to say:
    >
    >> From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
    >> this to say:
    >
    > Sorry to burst your bubble there Carey, but Linux doesn't get spyware,
    > malware or viruses. It's just not part of the Linux eXPerience

    Don't know what planet you are from, but on the planet we call Earth, Linux
    is also a target of
    worms, viruses and malware, although not to the degree that Windows is.

    You need to stop spreading the lie that Linux is impervious to viruses.
    It's not.

    Bobby

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, NoNoBadDog! had this to
    say:

    > "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    >> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
    >> this to say:
    >>
    >>> From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
    >>> this to say:
    >>
    >> Sorry to burst your bubble there Carey, but Linux doesn't get spyware,
    >> malware or viruses. It's just not part of the Linux eXPerience
    >

    > Don't know what planet you are from, but on the planet we call Earth,
    > Linux is also a target of
    > worms, viruses and malware, although not to the degree that Windows is.

    Sorry you've just got it wrong.

    > You need to stop spreading the lie that Linux is impervious to viruses.
    > It's not.

    But it is. I've never heard of a Linux computer infected by a virus. Sorry
    to burst your misinformed bubble.

    --

    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, NoNoBadDog! had this to
    > say:
    >

    >> "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    >>> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
    >>> this to say:

    >>> Sorry to burst your bubble there Carey, but Linux doesn't get spyware,
    >>> malware or viruses. It's just not part of the Linux eXPerience
    >>

    >> Don't know what planet you are from, but on the planet we call Earth,
    >> Linux is also a target of
    >> worms, viruses and malware, although not to the degree that Windows is.
    >>
    > Sorry you've just got it wrong.
    >
    >> You need to stop spreading the lie that Linux is impervious to viruses.
    >> It's not.
    >>
    > But it is. I've never heard of a Linux computer infected by a virus. Sorry
    > to burst your misinformed bubble.
    >
    >> Bobby
    >
    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    Another idiot joins my killfile.

    My God, are they actively breeding such idiots these days?

    For the rest of you who have a functioning brain and want to do some reading
    on the matter:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/

    http://antivirus.about.com/od/linuxunixviruses/

    NoStop is a brain-dead idiot that wouldn't know a correct answer if he
    tripped over one.

    Bobby

    NoStop wrote:
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP]
    > had this to say:
    >
    >> From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
    >> this to say:
    >
    > Sorry to burst your bubble there Carey, but Linux doesn't get spyware,
    > malware or viruses. It's just not part of the Linux eXPerience.

    Neither does a roller-skate, most cantelopes, a fish named Wanda, or a
    Norden bomb-sight. So what?

    >> NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL and publicize
    >> is inability to help users seeking professional assistance.
    >
    > I help those I chose to help around here. That usually means helping
    > those who have NOT been helped by the likes of you and some of your
    > buddies. As for "professional assistance" ... the last place anyone
    > will find that is from YOU. Unless of course getting links to
    > articles on MickeyMouse's website is your idea of "professional
    > assistance".

    Believe me, it is NOT helpful to recommend Linux.

    No. Just about the same if not more than MS. Go and see all the links within that link and count them up. How many?

    You tell me

    http://www.frsirt.com/english/linux-advisories/2

    --
    Peter

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message news:vZ1ye.1861545$Xk.960642@pd7tw3no...
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
    > this to say:
    >
    > > From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
    > > this to say:
    >
    > Sorry to burst your bubble there Carey, but Linux doesn't get spyware,
    > malware or viruses. It's just not part of the Linux eXPerience.
    >
    > > NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL and publicize
    > > is inability to help users seeking professional assistance.
    >
    > I help those I chose to help around here. That usually means helping those
    > who have NOT been helped by the likes of you and some of your buddies. As
    > for "professional assistance" ... the last place anyone will find that is
    > from YOU. Unless of course getting links to articles on MickeyMouse's
    > website is your idea of "professional assistance".
    >

    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    If Linux isn't prone to viruses, how come anti virus programs are made for
    Linux?

    Besides, XP is pretty groovy if you ask me.

    Alias

    "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote

    "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
    > If Linux isn't prone to viruses, how come anti virus programs are made for
    > Linux?

    I think you'll find the vast majority are aimed at Linux servers, in order
    to stop Windows viruses from spreading to Windows machines attached to Linux
    servers.

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Alias had this to say:

    > If Linux isn't prone to viruses, how come anti virus programs are made for
    > Linux?

    To protect Windoze machines that are connected to things like a Linux mail
    servers.

    > Besides, XP is pretty groovy if you ask me.

    That's nice. Enjoy.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote

    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Alias had this to say:
    >
    >> If Linux isn't prone to viruses, how come anti virus programs are made
    >> for
    >> Linux?
    >>
    > To protect Windoze machines that are connected to things like a Linux mail
    > servers.

    Um, you misunderstood. How come anti virus programs are made for Linux based
    machines like yours. Get it now?

    >> Besides, XP is pretty groovy if you ask me.
    >>
    > That's nice. Enjoy.
    >
    >> Alias

    I am and -- gasp -- I have never had a virus, trojan or malware invade my XP
    so your cute little intro is, well, a baldfaced, uninformed lie.

    Alias

    Alias wrote:

    > "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote
    >
    >> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Alias had this to say:
    >>
    >>> If Linux isn't prone to viruses, how come anti virus programs are made
    >>> for
    >>> Linux?
    >>>
    >> To protect Windoze machines that are connected to things like a Linux
    >> mail servers.
    >
    > Um, you misunderstood. How come anti virus programs are made for Linux
    > based machines like yours. Get it now?
    >
    >>> Besides, XP is pretty groovy if you ask me.
    >>>
    >> That's nice. Enjoy.
    >>
    >>> Alias
    >
    > I am and -- gasp -- I have never had a virus, trojan or malware invade my
    > XP so your cute little intro is, well, a baldfaced, uninformed lie.

    I use both Windows and Linux, I've not seen any of those you mentioned in
    over 10 years. IIRC,it was the NYB virus on a floppy.

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Alias had this to say:

    > "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote
    >
    >> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Alias had this to say:
    >>
    >>> If Linux isn't prone to viruses, how come anti virus programs are made
    >>> for
    >>> Linux?
    >>>
    >> To protect Windoze machines that are connected to things like a Linux
    >> mail servers.
    >
    > Um, you misunderstood. How come anti virus programs are made for Linux
    > based machines like yours. Get it now?

    Gawd, you are dumber than a door knob sometimes! I already told you why
    there are anti-virus programs that run on Linux. They aren't there to
    protect Linux systems, but to protect Windoze boxes that are on Linux
    networks and connected to Linux servers, like Linux mail servers that
    handle email for Windoze boxes.

    There are NO viruses in the wild that can bring down a properly configured
    Linux OS, hence no anti-virus software needed to protect Linux boxes.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    http://www.scanspyware.net/info/TwainTech-Twain-Tech.htm should be more
    helpful than sCarey Freak's rant. It appears it's neither viral nor system.

    Bravo, every link except for a basic google search one sCarey? Seems the
    OP's post is beyond the issue of your mental capacity.

    -Winux P.

    "GoldenDiscord5" <GoldenDiscord5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There is a system file that freezes my computer every time I run virus
    > scan
    > software. It gets to this file and my computer crashes. The file name is
    > smdat32a.sys. Is this a valid system file or is it a virus? What should I
    > do
    > about it?

    To get back to the original question, which was "Is it a valid system file
    or a virus?"

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,120 for smdat32a.sys. (0.33 seconds)

    I'm sure one of those 1,120 hits will help you. Google is your friend. And
    should be the FIRST place you look.

    "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message

    > http://www.scanspyware.net/info/TwainTech-Twain-Tech.htm should be more
    > helpful than sCarey Freak's rant. It appears it's neither viral nor
    > system.
    >
    > Bravo, every link except for a basic google search one sCarey? Seems the
    > OP's post is beyond the issue of your mental capacity.
    >
    > -Winux P.
    >
    > "GoldenDiscord5" <GoldenDiscord5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:36882003-78B2-4D90-A2AC-FA5FC2F14AAE@microsoft.com...
    >> There is a system file that freezes my computer every time I run virus
    >> scan
    >> software. It gets to this file and my computer crashes. The file name is
    >> smdat32a.sys. Is this a valid system file or is it a virus? What should I
    >> do
    >> about it?

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Peter Foldes had this to
    say:

    > No. Just about the same if not more than MS. Go and see all the links
    > within that link and count them up. How many?
    >
    > You tell me
    >
    > http://www.frsirt.com/english/linux-advisories/2

    Those ARE NOT viruses. They are security updates. Not the same thing at all.
    And don't forget those are listings for a multitude of distros. If someone
    is running Mandriva for example, the updates for the other distros are not
    an issue. And when looking at individual "issues" for a particular distro,
    they are for particular packages/applications. If one isn't running a
    particular service than it remains a non-issue.

    Compare that to the known vulnerabilities in Windoze and what you're seeing
    for Linux is insignificant. Very few of the vulnerabilities one finds for a
    Linux distro is going to bring the OS down.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

    What about some of these below that were taken out of a list of 1243 for linux for the last 12 months. Any OS including Linux gets hit with a Virus.
    There is 4 Linux systems with 1 server at one of my clients location and they do get hit with virus and trojans just as windows does. So does Unix based OS and all OS.
    I am not advocating Windows or Linux or Unix but be realistic that all OS's including Linux gets hit with viruses and trojans and malware.

    If you are happy with Linux then someone else is happy with Windows

    Linux.OSF.8759
    Linux.RST
    Worm.Linux.Adm
    Worm.Linux.Cheese
    Worm.Linux.Mighty
    Worm.Linux.Ramen
    Worm.Linux.Slapper
    --
    Peter

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message news:zAfye.1864905$Xk.1665887@pd7tw3no...
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Peter Foldes had this to
    > say:
    >
    > > No. Just about the same if not more than MS. Go and see all the links
    > > within that link and count them up. How many?
    > >
    > > You tell me
    > >
    > > http://www.frsirt.com/english/linux-advisories/2
    > >
    > Those ARE NOT viruses. They are security updates. Not the same thing at all.
    > And don't forget those are listings for a multitude of distros. If someone
    > is running Mandriva for example, the updates for the other distros are not
    > an issue. And when looking at individual "issues" for a particular distro,
    > they are for particular packages/applications. If one isn't running a
    > particular service than it remains a non-issue.
    >
    > Compare that to the known vulnerabilities in Windoze and what you're seeing
    > for Linux is insignificant. Very few of the vulnerabilities one finds for a
    > Linux distro is going to bring the OS down.
    >

    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Peter Foldes had this to
    say:

    > What about some of these below that were taken out of a list of 1243 for
    > linux for the last 12 months.

    You could have found something that wasn't 3 years old, was related to a SSL
    vulnerability that has long ago been patched and which never were an issue
    because it's very difficult for a virus to do any real damage to a Linux
    system.

    > Any OS including Linux gets hit with a
    > Virus. There is 4 Linux systems with 1 server at one of my clients
    > location and they do get hit with virus and trojans just as windows does.

    Really!?! Do you administer these computers? What virus(es) have been
    hitting these machines so regularly and what damage have they done?

    > So does Unix based OS and all OS. I am not advocating Windows or Linux or
    > Unix but be realistic that all OS's including Linux gets hit with viruses
    > and trojans and malware.

    And how do trojans run on Linux boxes? How do they get installed when it
    takes root to install any apps that can impact the OS? What malware are you
    aware of that impacts a Linux system? What does it do?

    I'm sorry for asking these questions because it's obvious that you have no
    idea what you're talking about. But humour me and try and answer them.

    --
    Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Really ? I did not say I administrate those Linux based machines. I do Windows based machines at that client. Their IT person does their Linux based. He also uses Linux and he has a pretty good knowledge of them. He has mentioned a couple time over the last few months that he runs into infections on his Linux system also

    --
    Peter

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message news:wwmye.1865965$Xk.1051935@pd7tw3no...
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Peter Foldes had this to
    > say:
    >
    > > What about some of these below that were taken out of a list of 1243 for
    > > linux for the last 12 months.
    >
    > You could have found something that wasn't 3 years old, was related to a SSL
    > vulnerability that has long ago been patched and which never were an issue
    > because it's very difficult for a virus to do any real damage to a Linux
    > system.
    >
    > > Any OS including Linux gets hit with a
    > > Virus. There is 4 Linux systems with 1 server at one of my clients
    > > location and they do get hit with virus and trojans just as windows does.
    >
    > Really!?! Do you administer these computers? What virus(es) have been
    > hitting these machines so regularly and what damage have they done?
    >
    > > So does Unix based OS and all OS. I am not advocating Windows or Linux or
    > > Unix but be realistic that all OS's including Linux gets hit with viruses
    > > and trojans and malware.
    > >
    > And how do trojans run on Linux boxes? How do they get installed when it
    > takes root to install any apps that can impact the OS? What malware are you
    > aware of that impacts a Linux system? What does it do?
    >
    > I'm sorry for asking these questions because it's obvious that you have no
    > idea what you're talking about. But humour me and try and answer them.
    >
    > > If you are happy with Linux then someone else is happy with Windows
    > >

    > > Linux.OSF.8759
    > > Linux.RST
    > > Worm.Linux.Adm
    > > Worm.Linux.Cheese
    > > Worm.Linux.Mighty
    > > Worm.Linux.Ramen
    > > Worm.Linux.Slapper
    >
    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Peter;

    Unfortunately, this "NoStop" idiot does not seem to be able to come out
    of the drug stupor he is in long enough to admit he is wrong. He continues
    to rant like a spoilt child because someone would dare say anything negative
    about his sacred Linux box. He is an insignificant little snot, and I
    suggest you add him to your killfile as most of the regulars here have. He
    adds nothing of any value anyway.

    Bobby

    Really ? I did not say I administrate those Linux based machines. I do
    Windows based machines at that client. Their IT person does their Linux
    based. He also uses Linux and he has a pretty good knowledge of them. He has
    mentioned a couple time over the last few months that he runs into
    infections on his Linux system also

    --
    Peter

    "NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
    > From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Peter Foldes had this to
    > say:
    >
    > > What about some of these below that were taken out of a list of 1243
    > > for
    > > linux for the last 12 months.
    >
    > You could have found something that wasn't 3 years old, was related to a
    > SSL
    > vulnerability that has long ago been patched and which never were an issue
    > because it's very difficult for a virus to do any real damage to a Linux
    > system.
    >
    > > Any OS including Linux gets hit with a
    > > Virus. There is 4 Linux systems with 1 server at one of my clients
    > > location and they do get hit with virus and trojans just as windows
    > > does.
    >
    > Really!?! Do you administer these computers? What virus(es) have been
    > hitting these machines so regularly and what damage have they done?
    >
    > > So does Unix based OS and all OS. I am not advocating Windows or Linux
    > > or
    > > Unix but be realistic that all OS's including Linux gets hit with
    > > viruses
    > > and trojans and malware.
    > >
    > And how do trojans run on Linux boxes? How do they get installed when it
    > takes root to install any apps that can impact the OS? What malware are
    > you
    > aware of that impacts a Linux system? What does it do?
    >
    > I'm sorry for asking these questions because it's obvious that you have no
    > idea what you're talking about. But humour me and try and answer them.
    >
    > > If you are happy with Linux then someone else is happy with Windows
    > >

    > > Linux.OSF.8759
    > > Linux.RST
    > > Worm.Linux.Adm
    > > Worm.Linux.Cheese
    > > Worm.Linux.Mighty
    > > Worm.Linux.Ramen
    > > Worm.Linux.Slapper
    >
    > --
    > Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
    > "A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I see your answer of moronic profundity and do learn to read, you were
    beaten to the standard google response by everyone else, even by sCarey. Umm
    where's your answer to the original question?

    -Winux P

    "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    | To get back to the original question, which was "Is it a valid system file
    | or a virus?"
    |
    | Results 1 - 10 of about 1,120 for smdat32a.sys. (0.33 seconds)
    |
    | I'm sure one of those 1,120 hits will help you. Google is your friend.
    And
    | should be the FIRST place you look.
    |
    | "Winux P" <winuxp@msnews.grp> wrote in message
    | >
    | > http://www.scanspyware.net/info/TwainTech-Twain-Tech.htm should be more
    | > helpful than sCarey Freak's rant. It appears it's neither viral nor
    | > system.
    | >
    | > Bravo, every link except for a basic google search one sCarey? Seems
    the
    | > OP's post is beyond the issue of your mental capacity.
    | >
    | > -Winux P.
    | >
    | > "GoldenDiscord5" <GoldenDiscord5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | > message news:36882003-78B2-4D90-A2AC-FA5FC2F14AAE@microsoft.com...
    | >> There is a system file that freezes my computer every time I run virus
    | >> scan
    | >> software. It gets to this file and my computer crashes. The file name
    is
    | >> smdat32a.sys. Is this a valid system file or is it a virus? What should
    | >> do
    | >> about it?

Virus Computers System File Windows XP