microsoft mn500

sum1

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

i connect to the internet no problem, i can use msn, and
surf the net, but occassionally the broadband tower will
cut out ( just the light that the cable is connected to)
and i am disconnected from the internet for a bit, than
back on, it has happend so much that its getting really
annoying, going on msn messenger service, it'll cut out
alot leaving the people i talk to get annoyed aswell, can
anyone help me to fix this problem, thank you

Are you using a wireless connection?

First, check the router logs, as soon that happens -- you
may be getting hit by a net attack (if that's the case,
they will go away after a few days).

Also, do a tracert to the IP of whoever you are talking to.
This will show you how much time it takes for your audio to
reach them, hoop by hoop. Numbers in the 100's are normal.
* could represent timeouts or simply routers that are
configured to not respond to tracert. Again this could be
due to a worm or attack on the net, and could go away after
a few days.

Run a virus check on your computer -- you may have a virus
or spyware that is stealing your bandwidth. I would also
add WEP encryption to the wireless and change the WEP key
(WEP can be broken after a while -- changing the key once a
while improves security and prevents others from
"borrowing" your bandwidth).

Could be a couple of other things too, including a program
that uses too much bandwidth (open task manager by pressing
ctl-alt-del on XP and check the bandwidth used by various
programs), or a misconfiguration.