Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

windows and linux together? or just windows? part 1

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 3, 2005 11:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

hi..it seems that for a reason my original large message is deleted after
being in this forum for a couple of minutes so i will split it in three
parts..and see what happens..maybe its cuz is too long.

Part 1
hello
i just want to say that am not an expert at all in these subjects but i
tried to do some research and i think now i can ask proper questions.
Now i have two partitions in my laptop (dell inspiron 1100, 30gigas HD,
pentium 4) for linux and windows (15 gigas e/o), these partitions were set by
a very knowledgeable guy.

This guy told me that my laptop wouldnt support the new windows versions in
5 years therefore my laptop would be useless; however if i used linux my
laptop would be operable for many years, and i could use simulation programs
that would allow me to open different kind of files normally used on windows
(xls, doc, pdf files etc)
Questions:
1. is that statement true?

Convinced by that statement i decided to let him install both systems, and i
started learning the basics for linux, apparently my friend installed a very
complicated version (the one he always used and it was a variation of GNOME)
of that system cuz i couldnt do anything by myself (while using the kernel)
and all the time i had to ask him. Well all of the sudden he went back to
Denmark and i rarely used linux, later i had a problem with my XP and i had
to reinstall it again and i losed the option to choose from which O/S to
start the booting, now it starts in windows all the time(but i know linux is
there using the 15 gigas partition).

my message (with more questions) will continue in the next message
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.

How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58

How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp

Clean Install Windows XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"roberto" wrote:

| hi..it seems that for a reason my original large message is deleted after
| being in this forum for a couple of minutes so i will split it in three
| parts..and see what happens..maybe its cuz is too long.
|
| Part 1
| hello
| i just want to say that am not an expert at all in these subjects but i
| tried to do some research and i think now i can ask proper questions.
| Now i have two partitions in my laptop (dell inspiron 1100, 30gigas HD,
| pentium 4) for linux and windows (15 gigas e/o), these partitions were set by
| a very knowledgeable guy.
|
| This guy told me that my laptop wouldnt support the new windows versions in
| 5 years therefore my laptop would be useless; however if i used linux my
| laptop would be operable for many years, and i could use simulation programs
| that would allow me to open different kind of files normally used on windows
| (xls, doc, pdf files etc)
| Questions:
| 1. is that statement true?
|
| Convinced by that statement i decided to let him install both systems, and i
| started learning the basics for linux, apparently my friend installed a very
| complicated version (the one he always used and it was a variation of GNOME)
| of that system cuz i couldnt do anything by myself (while using the kernel)
| and all the time i had to ask him. Well all of the sudden he went back to
| Denmark and i rarely used linux, later i had a problem with my XP and i had
| to reinstall it again and i losed the option to choose from which O/S to
| start the booting, now it starts in windows all the time(but i know linux is
| there using the 15 gigas partition).
|
| my message (with more questions) will continue in the next message
July 4, 2005 1:14:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
> on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.
>
> How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
>
> How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>

Carey - There is absolutely no reason for advocacy posts, especially
such an ignorant one. Roberto - really the best thing for you to do is
run the operating system that 1) will meet your needs; 2) you are
familiar and happy with; 3) and where you will have support when
needed. If your friend is gone and there is no one to help you with
Linux, then Linux is not the right choice for you. From what you have
posted, I don't think Linux *is* the right choice for you. There is no
reason for you to feel bad about this.

It is possible to use light-weight window managers on Linux or run the
operating system without a graphical user interface at all. In that
case, you can run it on older hardware. If you want to use Gnome or KDE
as a window manager, you will need a fairly fast processor and lots of
RAM, just like you need for Windows XP.

Since you have a laptop, you should restore it to factory condition
which means running Windows. If you are unsure how to do that, refer to
your laptop manual or look on the laptop mftr.'s website for tech
support. Or take the laptop to a local computer professional and have
them do the restore. Again, do not feel bad about this.

As for your posting problems, use a newsreader. There are lots of good
newsreaders for Windows, but you already have Outlook Express. Here is
information about using newsgroups:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support...
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Related resources
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:05:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:#6cPjIEgFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
> > All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
> > on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.
> >
> > How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
> >
> > How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
> >
>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
> >
> > Clean Install Windows XP
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> >
>
> Carey - There is absolutely no reason for advocacy posts, especially
> such an ignorant one. Roberto - really the best thing for you to do is
> run the operating system that 1) will meet your needs; 2) you are
> familiar and happy with; 3) and where you will have support when
> needed. If your friend is gone and there is no one to help you with
> Linux, then Linux is not the right choice for you. From what you have
> posted, I don't think Linux *is* the right choice for you. There is no
> reason for you to feel bad about this.
>
> It is possible to use light-weight window managers on Linux or run the
> operating system without a graphical user interface at all. In that
> case, you can run it on older hardware. If you want to use Gnome or KDE
> as a window manager, you will need a fairly fast processor and lots of
> RAM, just like you need for Windows XP.
>
> Since you have a laptop, you should restore it to factory condition
> which means running Windows. If you are unsure how to do that, refer to
> your laptop manual or look on the laptop mftr.'s website for tech
> support. Or take the laptop to a local computer professional and have
> them do the restore. Again, do not feel bad about this.
>
> As for your posting problems, use a newsreader. There are lots of good
> newsreaders for Windows, but you already have Outlook Express. Here is
> information about using newsgroups:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
> explanation of newsgroups
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support...
sp
> - Set Up Newsreader
>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
> microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
> working properly
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
> crossposting
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Nice to see that a MS MVP can post something intelligent! :)  Good post!

I would also like to add that if you are not running short of hard drive
space there is no harm in leaving the dual-boot scenario that you have. You
can use which ever OS you are most comfortable with (in this case I'm
assuming Windows) and boot into the other from time to time to play and
learn.
July 4, 2005 3:05:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

GO wrote:

> Nice to see that a MS MVP can post something intelligent! :)  Good
> post!
>
> I would also like to add that if you are not running short of hard
> drive
> space there is no harm in leaving the dual-boot scenario that you
> have. You can use which ever OS you are most comfortable with (in
> this case I'm assuming Windows) and boot into the other from time to
> time to play and learn.

The problem with dual booting for the OP is that he had to reinstall
Windows or do some sort of repair install (we don't really know since
his post isn't too clear) and he's lost the Linux bootloader. I don't
think he's going to be able to fix that on his own. So sure, he could
take it to a shop and have them fix the dual boot and have the pleasure
of both operating systems. But based on his post, do you think that's
really going to work for him? I don't. But since it is all about
choice, now Roberto has some answers and can make some informed
decisions. If he can even find these posts since he's using the
dreadful CDO interface.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:23:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Carey Frisch [MVP] had
this to say:

> All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
> on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.
>

Carey as usual has everything backasswards.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:23:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
this to say: NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:23:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:uRRLkCEgFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
> this to say: NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL.

And speaking of trolls....I realize this is a MS/Windows newsgroup and all,
but why is Linux a sub-standard operating system? I personally still prefer
Windows over Linux but both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:23:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There have been quite a bit more newsgroup posts asking how
to remove Linux after users became fed-up with its quirks
and incompatibility with Microsoft programs.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GO" wrote:

| And speaking of trolls....I realize this is a MS/Windows newsgroup and all,
| but why is Linux a sub-standard operating system? I personally still prefer
| Windows over Linux but both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:23:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Neither of your statements makes Linux a sub-standard OS. Windows has it's
share of quirks, and why would MS programs be compatible with Linux in the
first place? It's the same as OSX (Mac) software being incompatible with
Windows.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:o UmJ3TEgFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> There have been quite a bit more newsgroup posts asking how
> to remove Linux after users became fed-up with its quirks
> and incompatibility with Microsoft programs.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------
>
> "GO" wrote:
>
> | And speaking of trolls....I realize this is a MS/Windows newsgroup and
all,
> | but why is Linux a sub-standard operating system? I personally still
prefer
> | Windows over Linux but both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses.
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:54:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

roberto wrote:
> hi..it seems that for a reason my original large message is deleted
> after being in this forum for a couple of minutes so i will split it
> in three parts..and see what happens..maybe its cuz is too long.

Maybe it's because it is off-topic.

>
> Part 1
> hello
> i just want to say that am not an expert at all in these subjects but
> i tried to do some research and i think now i can ask proper
> questions.
> Now i have two partitions in my laptop (dell inspiron 1100, 30gigas
> HD, pentium 4) for linux and windows (15 gigas e/o), these partitions
> were set by a very knowledgeable guy.
>
> This guy told me that my laptop wouldnt support the new windows
> versions in 5 years therefore my laptop would be useless; however if
> i used linux my laptop would be operable for many years, and i could
> use simulation programs that would allow me to open different kind of
> files normally used on windows (xls, doc, pdf files etc)
> Questions:
> 1. is that statement true?

Don't know, the next version of Windows is not even in Beta.

The most likely reason that your laptop will be useless in 5 years is
that you have dropped it too many times.

>
> Convinced by that statement i decided to let him install both
> systems, and i started learning the basics for linux, apparently my
> friend installed a very complicated version (the one he always used
> and it was a variation of GNOME)

Gnone isn't really a version of Linux, it is a GUI that sits on top of
the Linux kernel.

But this ain't the place to be learning about Linux.

> of that system cuz i couldnt do
> anything by myself (while using the kernel) and all the time i had to
> ask him. Well all of the sudden he went back to Denmark and i rarely
> used linux, later i had a problem with my XP and i had to reinstall
> it again and i losed the option to choose from which O/S to start the
> booting, now it starts in windows all the time(but i know linux is
> there using the 15 gigas partition).

And your question is?

>
> my message (with more questions) will continue in the next message

Most of your questions can be answered by searching Google. I suggest
you try that before posting here again.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:05:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> There have been quite a bit more newsgroup posts asking how
> to remove Linux after users became fed-up with its quirks
> and incompatibility with Microsoft programs.

As I suspected, Carey's opinion posts are rarely an opinion based on his
own personal experience, but is based on him being a total MicroSlut.

If he didn't get Windows pre-installed with his computer, I doubt he has
the intelligence to install it on his own!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:36:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Malke" wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
> > All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
> > on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.
> >
> > How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
> >
> > How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
> >
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
> >
> > Clean Install Windows XP
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> >
>
> Carey - There is absolutely no reason for advocacy posts, especially
> such an ignorant one. Roberto - really the best thing for you to do is
> run the operating system that 1) will meet your needs; 2) you are
> familiar and happy with; 3) and where you will have support when
> needed. If your friend is gone and there is no one to help you with
> Linux, then Linux is not the right choice for you. From what you have
> posted, I don't think Linux *is* the right choice for you. There is no
> reason for you to feel bad about this.
>
> It is possible to use light-weight window managers on Linux or run the
> operating system without a graphical user interface at all. In that
> case, you can run it on older hardware. If you want to use Gnome or KDE
> as a window manager, you will need a fairly fast processor and lots of
> RAM, just like you need for Windows XP.
>
> Since you have a laptop, you should restore it to factory condition
> which means running Windows. If you are unsure how to do that, refer to
> your laptop manual or look on the laptop mftr.'s website for tech
> support. Or take the laptop to a local computer professional and have
> them do the restore. Again, do not feel bad about this.
>
> As for your posting problems, use a newsreader. There are lots of good
> newsreaders for Windows, but you already have Outlook Express. Here is
> information about using newsgroups:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
> explanation of newsgroups
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support...
> - Set Up Newsreader
>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
> microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
> working properly
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
> crossposting
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>

Well said! You actually addressed the question that this gentleman had. I
swear, sometimes the OS wars can get as rhetorically heated as people
discussing religion.

As a user of 4 OS's on my box (XP pro, XP 64, Fedora Core 4, Gentoo), I can
categorically state that none of them will save anyone's soul.

Having said that, roberto, if you're still curious to give linux another
try, there are distributions that are much easier to learn than others.

I recommend Mepis 3.3.1 for ease of install, plus it's a "Live" distro,
which means you can run it from the CD/DVD before you install it to your hard
drive, a good way to kick the tires.

Check out http://www.distrowatch.com/ and look up Mepis, they'll have
download links, reviews, etc.

Good luck!
-tahuya_rat
July 4, 2005 2:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Do the words narrow-minded, blinkers or proselytizing mean anything to you?
It is clear that you would be a nobody in life, since you don't acknowledge
the fact that competition could exist, or exists. Even an employee of MS
wouldn't dismiss Linux as 'a sub-standard OS'.


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:u5jVr4DgFHA.3656@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
> on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.
>
> How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
>
> How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "roberto" wrote:
>
> | hi..it seems that for a reason my original large message is deleted
> after
> | being in this forum for a couple of minutes so i will split it in three
> | parts..and see what happens..maybe its cuz is too long.
> |
> | Part 1
> | hello
> | i just want to say that am not an expert at all in these subjects but i
> | tried to do some research and i think now i can ask proper questions.
> | Now i have two partitions in my laptop (dell inspiron 1100, 30gigas HD,
> | pentium 4) for linux and windows (15 gigas e/o), these partitions were
> set by
> | a very knowledgeable guy.
> |
> | This guy told me that my laptop wouldnt support the new windows versions
> in
> | 5 years therefore my laptop would be useless; however if i used linux my
> | laptop would be operable for many years, and i could use simulation
> programs
> | that would allow me to open different kind of files normally used on
> windows
> | (xls, doc, pdf files etc)
> | Questions:
> | 1. is that statement true?
> |
> | Convinced by that statement i decided to let him install both systems,
> and i
> | started learning the basics for linux, apparently my friend installed a
> very
> | complicated version (the one he always used and it was a variation of
> GNOME)
> | of that system cuz i couldnt do anything by myself (while using the
> kernel)
> | and all the time i had to ask him. Well all of the sudden he went back
> to
> | Denmark and i rarely used linux, later i had a problem with my XP and i
> had
> | to reinstall it again and i losed the option to choose from which O/S to
> | start the booting, now it starts in windows all the time(but i know
> linux is
> | there using the 15 gigas partition).
> |
> | my message (with more questions) will continue in the next message
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:18:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"tahuya_rat" <tahuya_rat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:50BA9BB7-9F43-488A-989D-F3B107196228@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
> > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> >
> > > All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
> > > on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.

> > Carey - There is absolutely no reason for advocacy posts, especially
> > such an ignorant one. Roberto - really the best thing for you to do is
> > run the operating system that 1) will meet your needs; 2) you are
> > familiar and happy with; 3) and where you will have support when
> > needed. If your friend is gone and there is no one to help you with
> > Linux, then Linux is not the right choice for you. From what you have
> > posted, I don't think Linux *is* the right choice for you. There is no
> > reason for you to feel bad about this.
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic"
> >
>
> Well said! You actually addressed the question that this gentleman had.
I
> swear, sometimes the OS wars can get as rhetorically heated as people
> discussing religion.
>

You need to understand -- for some it *is* a religion ...

Best sig line a while back --
"Finally found the service pack for NT that fixes all the bugs ... Linux"

mikey (who likes multiple OS's )
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:47:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I take credit for the new carey. My years of modeling the correct behaviour is paying off.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:uRRLkCEgFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
> this to say: NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL.
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:47:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

David Candy wrote:

>> From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
>> this to say: NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL.
>
> I take credit for the new carey. My years of modeling the correct
> behaviour is paying off.

LOL! Unfortunately, the "New" Carey is as dimwitted as the old one.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:22:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:#6lEkPFgFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> GO wrote:
>
> > Nice to see that a MS MVP can post something intelligent! :)  Good
> > post!
> >
> > I would also like to add that if you are not running short of hard
> > drive
> > space there is no harm in leaving the dual-boot scenario that you
> > have. You can use which ever OS you are most comfortable with (in
> > this case I'm assuming Windows) and boot into the other from time to
> > time to play and learn.
>
> The problem with dual booting for the OP is that he had to reinstall
> Windows or do some sort of repair install (we don't really know since
> his post isn't too clear) and he's lost the Linux bootloader. I don't
> think he's going to be able to fix that on his own. So sure, he could
> take it to a shop and have them fix the dual boot and have the pleasure
> of both operating systems. But based on his post, do you think that's
> really going to work for him? I don't. But since it is all about
> choice, now Roberto has some answers and can make some informed
> decisions. If he can even find these posts since he's using the
> dreadful CDO interface.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Ooops. I missed the part about the re-install. My bad. :) 
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:57:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

How many more sCarey Freak?

Is there anything special in becoming an MVP? If sCarey can do then so can,
Noooooooooo! I'll drop that thought.

-Winux P

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:o UmJ3TEgFHA.272@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> There have been quite a bit more newsgroup posts asking how
> to remove Linux after users became fed-up with its quirks
> and incompatibility with Microsoft programs.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "GO" wrote:
>
> | And speaking of trolls....I realize this is a MS/Windows newsgroup and
> all,
> | but why is Linux a sub-standard operating system? I personally still
> prefer
> | Windows over Linux but both OSes have their strengths and weaknesses.
>
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:57:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Winux P had this to say:

>
> How many more sCarey Freak?
>
> Is there anything special in becoming an MVP? If sCarey can do then so
> can, Noooooooooo! I'll drop that thought.
>
> -Winux P
>
ROFL!

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:06:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"roberto" <roberto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in:


Roberto, you really started something, didn't you? <Big smile!>

> hi..it seems that for a reason my original large message is deleted
> after being in this forum for a couple of minutes so i will split it in
> three parts..and see what happens..maybe its cuz is too long.
> This guy told me that my laptop wouldnt support the new windows versions
> in 5 years therefore my laptop would be useless; however if i used linux
> my laptop would be operable for many years, and i could use simulation
> programs that would allow me to open different kind of files normally
> used on windows (xls, doc, pdf files etc)
> Questions:
> 1. is that statement true?

Sort of. Consider the rapid advance of technology and your laptop will
probably be obsolete in 5 years regardless of which operating system you are
using. It's very likely that the hardware will be obsolete, not the
software.

> Convinced by that statement i decided to let him install both systems,
> and i started learning the basics for linux, apparently my friend
> installed a very complicated version (the one he always used and it was
> a variation of GNOME) of that system cuz i couldnt do anything by myself
> (while using the kernel) and all the time i had to ask him. Well all of
> the sudden he went back to Denmark and i rarely used linux, later i had
> a problem with my XP and i had to reinstall it again and i losed the
> option to choose from which O/S to start the booting, now it starts in
> windows all the time(but i know linux is there using the 15 gigas
> partition).

You can repair the Linux installation just as you can the Windows
installation. Turn your computer on with the Linux CD in the drive, it will
boot on the drive. Follow the prompts and when it asks, tell it you want to
repair the existing Linux system, it will reinstall the Linux boot loader and
once again you'll be able to boot on either system.

But from your post I wonder if Linux is right for you? I suggest you get a
newsreader (Outlook Express will work) and then search some of the Linux news
groups for assistance with your Linux problems, you'll find them usually to
be very helpful. If your ISP doesn't provide you with news groups, go to
http://groups.google.com and enter Linux in the search window, you should
then see a bunch of Linux news groups (I got 590+ groups!) that you can
search for answers.

You should know that Linux is WAAAAAAAAAY off topic for this news group so if
you want to continue this let's take it to email or, if you want to talk to
someone who knows more about Linux than I do (and that's almost everyone!)
try the Linux newsgroups.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:25:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:59:32 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>> Oh, and I can read my Linux partition just fine from XP.
>
>Not natively you can.

I think you meant "can't" but OK, I did have to get a small program to
do it: Explore2FS. It's a small Windows program that allows me to
access my Linux partiton from within XP. I use it as a novelty more
than anything else. Oh, and it was free.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:13:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Malke wrote:

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>
>
>>All you need for an excellent eXPerience is to install Windows XP
>>on one partition. You do not need a sub-standard O/S such as Linux.
>>
>>How to Remove Linux and Install Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3144­58
>>
>>How to Remove the Linux LILO Boot Manager
>>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315224&Product=winxp
>
>>Clean Install Windows XP
>>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>
>
> Carey - There is absolutely no reason for advocacy posts, especially
> such an ignorant one.

Carey doesn't listen to reason.

I doubt he's ever seen Linux, much less used it.

Steve
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:32:31 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>From his spyware/malware/virus infected Linux box, "NoStop" had
>this to say: NULL - nothing to contribute except to TROLL.
>
>
So learn to filter. I just deleted 114 messages from him.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
!