Migrating installed software

Hi, I have an application installed on Drive C: that I would like
reinstalled on drive D: (because I am about to erase the C: partition
and reinstall Windows XP). The problem is that every time I install this
software I have to register it by phone and pay $9.90 for the privilege.
I was wondering if there is a way to migrate this software and any files
it uses to the D: partition. This might seem a dumb question because I'm
sure it has placed files all over the place during installation
including in the system folder, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks.

--
All the best,
Pete

Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E
7 answers Last reply
More about migrating installed software

    Simply use the install CD your application came on or copy the file you
    downloaded to a CD. Why would you have to register a piece of software and
    pay a fee every time you reinstall it? Sounds like a scam to me.

    "Pete" <lansma@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have an application installed on Drive C: that I would like
    > reinstalled on drive D: (because I am about to erase the C: partition
    > and reinstall Windows XP). The problem is that every time I install this
    > software I have to register it by phone and pay $9.90 for the privilege.
    > I was wondering if there is a way to migrate this software and any files
    > it uses to the D: partition. This might seem a dumb question because I'm
    > sure it has placed files all over the place during installation
    > including in the system folder, but I thought I would ask anyway.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > All the best,
    > Pete

    > Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
    > Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E

    Thanks. Yes it is a scam. The company is Intuit - the makers of
    QuickBooks and in my case Quicken 2004. But the software is inoperable
    until it is 'activated' and if it has already been activated previously
    they charge this fee before giving out the activation code. It all has
    to be done by phone.

    I want to avoid this fee if I can so I was hoping to find a way to
    migrate the *already installed* software to the D: partition. If I
    reinstall it from the installation CD, it will have to be reactivated.
    Any clues?

    --

    Pete wrote:

    > Thanks. Yes it is a scam. The company is Intuit - the makers of
    > QuickBooks and in my case Quicken 2004. But the software is inoperable
    > until it is 'activated' and if it has already been activated
    > previously they charge this fee before giving out the activation code.
    > It all has to be done by phone.
    >
    > I want to avoid this fee if I can so I was hoping to find a way to
    > migrate the *already installed* software to the D: partition. If I
    > reinstall it from the installation CD, it will have to be reactivated.
    > Any clues?

    I'm sorry, but there is no way to move Quicken (or any other program) to
    the D drive without uninstalling/reinstalling it. As for the fee, this
    is just one more reason to not use software from Intuit (and there are
    other reasons). Intuit has consistently treated their customers like
    dirt and has made their attitude very clear. However, if people keep
    buying Intuit's products, there is no incentive for the company to
    change. Perhaps you can call Intuit and tell them what you are doing
    and they may have a workaround that will not cost you anything.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Is it for the service or the code ?

    Check this ( which says something CDs facilitate reinstallation by
    eliminating the need for unlocking codes ) :

    http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/service/unlock/6207.html

    --
    JonyBrv

    "Pete" wrote:

    > Thanks. Yes it is a scam. The company is Intuit - the makers of
    > QuickBooks and in my case Quicken 2004. But the software is inoperable
    > until it is 'activated' and if it has already been activated previously
    > they charge this fee before giving out the activation code. It all has
    > to be done by phone.
    >
    > I want to avoid this fee if I can so I was hoping to find a way to
    > migrate the *already installed* software to the D: partition. If I
    > reinstall it from the installation CD, it will have to be reactivated.
    > Any clues?
    >
    > --
    > All the best,
    > Pete

    > Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
    > Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E
    >

    > Kevin wrote:
    > > Simply use the install CD your application came on or copy the file
    > > you downloaded to a CD. Why would you have to register a piece of
    > > software and pay a fee every time you reinstall it? Sounds like a
    > > scam to me.
    > >
    > > "Pete" <lansma@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, I have an application installed on Drive C: that I would like
    > >> reinstalled on drive D: (because I am about to erase the C: partition
    > >> and reinstall Windows XP). The problem is that every time I install
    > >> this software I have to register it by phone and pay $9.90 for the
    > >> privilege. I was wondering if there is a way to migrate this
    > >> software and any files it uses to the D: partition. This might seem
    > >> a dumb question because I'm sure it has placed files all over the
    > >> place during installation including in the system folder, but I
    > >> thought I would ask anyway.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> All the best,
    > >> Pete
    > >>
    > >> ------------------------------------------------
    > >> Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
    > >> Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E

    Thanks Malke. Actually, it is an older product (2004) but I swear I will
    never buy anything else from Intuit. I too have had multiple BAD
    experiences with them. And when I do speak to them by phone they are
    condescending and disrespectful. If only their shareholders knew.

    --

    Pete wrote:
    > Thanks. Yes it is a scam. The company is Intuit - the makers of
    > QuickBooks and in my case Quicken 2004. But the software is inoperable
    > until it is 'activated' and if it has already been activated
    > previously they charge this fee before giving out the activation
    > code. It all has to be done by phone.
    >
    > I want to avoid this fee if I can so I was hoping to find a way to
    > migrate the *already installed* software to the D: partition. If I
    > reinstall it from the installation CD, it will have to be reactivated.
    > Any clues?

    Post your problem in
    alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
    or
    alt.comp.software.financial.quickbooks

    Thanks for that but the information pertains to North America. I live in
    Australia and I can't find similar info here.

    --

    Jonybrv wrote:
    > Is it for the service or the code ?
    >
    > Check this ( which says something CDs facilitate reinstallation by
    > eliminating the need for unlocking codes ) :
    >
    > http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/service/unlock/6207.html
    >

    >> Thanks. Yes it is a scam. The company is Intuit - the makers of
    >> QuickBooks and in my case Quicken 2004. But the software is
    >> inoperable until it is 'activated' and if it has already been
    >> activated previously they charge this fee before giving out the
    >> activation code. It all has to be done by phone.
    >>
    >> I want to avoid this fee if I can so I was hoping to find a way to
    >> migrate the *already installed* software to the D: partition. If I
    >> reinstall it from the installation CD, it will have to be
    >> reactivated. Any clues?
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the best,
    >> Pete

    >> Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
    >> Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E
    >>

    >> Kevin wrote:
    >>> Simply use the install CD your application came on or copy the file
    >>> you downloaded to a CD. Why would you have to register a piece of
    >>> software and pay a fee every time you reinstall it? Sounds like a
    >>> scam to me.
    >>>
    >>> "Pete" <lansma@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Software Microsoft Windows XP