Most reliable way to copy files?

Hi all,

I was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to Windows
file copying.
Specifically, system files etc.
Say you wanted to copy someone's profile to another machine or back it
up, what would be the most reliable way to do this.
I tend to boot to a knoppix boot disk most times but even then I get
the odd file copy error.
Thank-you in advance.

Rob
10 answers Last reply
More about most reliable copy files

    The Windows XP's file system is NTFS which the knoppix would have difficulty
    to read. Also user profile folders are usually marked as Private meaning
    encrypted which only an administrator login would be able to access.

    If running Windows XP pro, use loadstate and scanstate utility to copy the
    profiles.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/usermigr.mspx

    --
    JonyBrv

    "RobW" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to Windows
    > file copying.
    > Specifically, system files etc.
    > Say you wanted to copy someone's profile to another machine or back it
    > up, what would be the most reliable way to do this.
    > I tend to boot to a knoppix boot disk most times but even then I get
    > the odd file copy error.
    > Thank-you in advance.
    >
    > Rob

    Hi,

    BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

    Knoppix has limitations when working with NTFS.

    But, you can't copy profiles that way. The user would need to create a new
    profile on the destination machine, log into it to create the system
    folders, then copy their data into it. Programs would possibly need to be
    reinstalled.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Jonybrv wrote:

    > The Windows XP's file system is NTFS which the knoppix would have
    > difficulty to read. Also user profile folders are usually marked as
    > Private meaning encrypted which only an administrator login would be
    > able to access.

    This is incorrect. Knoppix can *read* files on an NTFS system with no
    problem. It is *writing* to NTFS that is dangerous for the data on the
    Windows system since corruption can occur. Using Knoppix is an
    effective and easy way to retrieve data on problematic Windows systems,
    and there is no problem retrieving data that has been password
    protected or has a Windows ownership restriction. If true encryption
    has been applied, that is another matter. Making a folder private does
    not apply encryption.

    However, since the OP asked about copying a user profile:

    I'm not sure that copying a user profile is actually what the OP wants
    to do; my guess is that s/he wants to back up the system. However,
    without a more exact post, I'm not going to guess.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    In news:F66BFCDE-FB52-4C2A-A0AA-3DB7B089922F@microsoft.com,
    Jonybrv <Jonybrv@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > The Windows XP's file system is NTFS...

    This is not correct. NTFS is entirely optional. It would be
    correct to say "The Windows XP file system *may be* NTFS..."

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > which the knoppix would have
    > difficulty to read. Also user profile folders are usually
    > marked as
    > Private meaning encrypted which only an administrator login
    > would be
    > able to access.
    >
    > If running Windows XP pro, use loadstate and scanstate utility
    > copy the profiles.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/usermigr.mspx
    >

    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to
    >> Windows
    >> file copying.
    >> Specifically, system files etc.
    >> Say you wanted to copy someone's profile to another machine or
    >> back
    >> it up, what would be the most reliable way to do this.
    >> I tend to boot to a knoppix boot disk most times but even then
    >> I get
    >> the odd file copy error.
    >> Thank-you in advance.
    >>
    >> Rob

    Thanks for the info gentlemen,

    Basically what I want to know is what is the best (best being the most
    reliable) way to copy files from hard disk (either FAT32 or NTFS)
    forcefully & recursively to ,, say another HDD without stopping for
    errors. In the original post I used a user profile simply as an
    example. The reason for the question is I am never sure whether the
    copy is going to complete or not.

    Kind regards,
    Rob

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:18:23 +1000, RobW <none@none.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to Windows
    >file copying.
    >Specifically, system files etc.
    >Say you wanted to copy someone's profile to another machine or back it
    >up, what would be the most reliable way to do this.
    >I tend to boot to a knoppix boot disk most times but even then I get
    >the odd file copy error.
    >Thank-you in advance.
    >
    >Rob

    You should not that in XP there is a 4GB file size limit on FAT32
    partitions. This means that a file can not exceed 4GB if you want to store
    it on a FAT32 based partition/disk.

    > Thanks for the info gentlemen,
    >
    > Basically what I want to know is what is the best (best being the most
    > reliable) way to copy files from hard disk (either FAT32 or NTFS)
    > forcefully & recursively to ,, say another HDD without stopping for
    > errors. In the original post I used a user profile simply as an
    > example. The reason for the question is I am never sure whether the
    > copy is going to complete or not.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Rob
    >

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:18:23 +1000, RobW <none@none.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to Windows
    >>file copying.
    >>Specifically, system files etc.
    >>Say you wanted to copy someone's profile to another machine or back it
    >>up, what would be the most reliable way to do this.
    >>I tend to boot to a knoppix boot disk most times but even then I get
    >>the odd file copy error.
    >>Thank-you in advance.
    >>
    >>Rob

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:03:17 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

    >You should not that in XP there is a 4GB file size limit on FAT32
    >partitions. This means that a file can not exceed 4GB if you want to store
    >it on a FAT32 based partition/disk.
    Thanks Yves,
    But that is not what I asked.

    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:03:17 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    > Thanks Yves,
    > But that is not what I asked.

    Rob:
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say you want to know the best,
    i.e., most reliable way to copy files from one HD to another HD "forcefully
    and recursively". Obviously you're aware of the ability to copy
    folders/files through a variety of means -- drag & drop, using a flash drive
    or CD or other removable media to store data, etc., etc. Is this not
    sufficient for your purpose?

    Or are you interested in copying massive amounts of data from one HD to
    another for the purposes of maintaining a good backup system? If so, using a
    disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image
    to clone the contents of one drive to another might be another practical
    approach, no?

    Perhaps you could give a clearer indication of just what you want to achieve
    in this area.
    Anna

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:05:57 -0400, "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote:

    >>>"RobW" <none@none.com> wrote in message

    >> <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>You should not that in XP there is a 4GB file size limit on FAT32
    >>>partitions. This means that a file can not exceed 4GB if you want to
    >>>store
    >>>it on a FAT32 based partition/disk.
    >

    >"RobW" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:03:17 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    >> Thanks Yves,
    >> But that is not what I asked.
    >

    >Rob:
    >I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say you want to know the best,
    >i.e., most reliable way to copy files from one HD to another HD "forcefully
    >and recursively". Obviously you're aware of the ability to copy
    >folders/files through a variety of means -- drag & drop, using a flash drive
    >or CD or other removable media to store data, etc., etc. Is this not
    >sufficient for your purpose?
    >
    >Or are you interested in copying massive amounts of data from one HD to
    >another for the purposes of maintaining a good backup system? If so, using a
    >disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image
    >to clone the contents of one drive to another might be another practical
    >approach, no?
    >
    >Perhaps you could give a clearer indication of just what you want to achieve
    >in this area.
    >Anna

    Hi Anna,

    Thank-you for your reply, sorry to not be clear enough with my 1st
    post.
    To copy a system/partition I use Partition Magic. No drama there.
    To copy normal data e.g. docs, and non system files I use Windows
    Explorer drag & drop, copy & paste, whatever. However I have found
    that a certain amount of the time when I am copying a profile or the
    contents of a whole disk that is to be archived I get 45 minutes
    through a 52 minute copy and I get an error. (*times are just an
    example, could be 15 seconds) I don't know whether I have got all the
    info I need. (Which I do need to know.) I have tried booting into safe
    mode to lessen the amount of things running when I am doing the copy,
    however it still happens occasionally. I have experienced this many
    times, it's not on just one machine or with just one operating system.
    The original question is to see if there is some command line app or
    some switches I can throw to Copy that will make the copy continue
    regardless of the odd error. It would be nice if the errors were
    logged so that I could decide if the file that was missed is important
    and needed further attention.
    Would XCOPY be the thing I am after?

    TIA
    Rob
    ..

    > Hi Anna,
    >
    > Thank-you for your reply, sorry to not be clear enough with my 1st
    > post.
    > To copy a system/partition I use Partition Magic. No drama there.
    > To copy normal data e.g. docs, and non system files I use Windows
    > Explorer drag & drop, copy & paste, whatever. However I have found
    > that a certain amount of the time when I am copying a profile or the
    > contents of a whole disk that is to be archived I get 45 minutes
    > through a 52 minute copy and I get an error. (*times are just an
    > example, could be 15 seconds) I don't know whether I have got all the
    > info I need. (Which I do need to know.) I have tried booting into safe
    > mode to lessen the amount of things running when I am doing the copy,
    > however it still happens occasionally. I have experienced this many
    > times, it's not on just one machine or with just one operating system.
    > The original question is to see if there is some command line app or
    > some switches I can throw to Copy that will make the copy continue
    > regardless of the odd error. It would be nice if the errors were
    > logged so that I could decide if the file that was missed is important
    > and needed further attention.
    > Would XCOPY be the thing I am after?
    >
    > TIA
    > Rob

    Rob:
    It seems to me that you would be best served by using a disk imaging program
    such as the ones I previously mentioned to routinely & systematically clone
    the contents of your working drive to either another internal drive or a
    USB/Firewire external hard drive. These programs are simple to use,
    relatively fast in their cloning speed, and quite effective in their
    results. For all practical purposes, the clone is a bit-for-bit copy of your
    source disk and in my view is a near-ideal backup system for most users . By
    creating a "clone" of your day-to-day working HD, you have at hand an exact
    copy of your operating system, registry settings, all your programs &
    data -- in short *everything* that's on your source disk. And an added
    crucial advantage in that where the recipient of your clone is another
    internal HD, that drive will be bootable. (The USBEHD is not bootable in an
    XP environment).

    It's been some time since I used the xcopy DOS command. For a variety of
    reasons, I don't really think that it's a practical alternative for your
    objective. There is a third-party program - xxcopy - that's been around for
    awhile that many users swear by for copying large amounts of data. I haven't
    used that program for a long time, but when I did I swore *at* it. I found
    it awkward to use and inconsistent in its results. But that was some time
    ago, so maybe it's improved since I've come across favorable user reports
    about this product from time to time.

    My advice still stands - for a practical, near-failsafe backup system,
    consider using a disk imaging program for disk-to-disk cloning.
    Anna

Boot Microsoft Windows XP