Starlock 1.1 Beta Sign-Up

Last response: in Video Games
April 13, 2004 6:33:21 PM

I also posted this to "comp.games.development.design," but it's appropriate
here as well, I think. This is a beta sign-up announcement for the new
browser-based game I've been working on since just before the '99 IF-COMP.
Interactive Fiction has been an influence in its development, and to my
knowledge, it's the first attempt at a large-scale multiplayer MUD-like
browser-based game. The story has been a big factor, again taking cues from
what IF means today.

Anyway, the full announcement is below. It was submitted to several game
news sites (especially ones with a stronger bias toward browser-based
games), but less than a hundred sign-ups so far (plus the 70 or so carried
over from beta 1.0) are less than I had hoped for. Most of these, judging
from the aps, are much more familiar with mainstream commercial titles than
with Interactive Fiction, so if anybody here is willing to help bring an
IF-based perspective to the testing period, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Mike Snyder
Prowler Productions

----------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
The StarLock beta sign-up form is online now at
http://www.prowler-pro.com/starlock/betaform.html - sign-ups for the May 1st
beta will be reviewed and considered through most of April. We anticipate a
relatively short beta period, before opening the first chapter for live,
public play this spring.

ABOUT STARLOCK:
StarLock is a massively multiplayer browser-based RPG/Adventure. Other
appropriate descriptions included "space opera," "interactive fiction," and
"illustrated MUD." In development for over five years, it is a landmark in
browser-based gaming with a focus on truly telling a story. StarLock has
been inspired, in part, by the novels of Dan Simmons, Vernor Vinge, Jack
Vance (especially Vance) and others. The game features thousands of
graphics/scenes, optional music, and engaging text in a quest-based
storyline that will unfold in five massive sections (chapters).

ABOUT PROWLER PRODUCTIONS:
Prowler Productions is an independent game development company, Kansas-based
and formed in 1996. Originally developing and marketing multiplayer BBS and
WorldGroup/MajorBBS games, Prowler has focused on browser-based gaming since
late 1998 with the launch of Lunatix Online.

More about : starlock beta sign

Anonymous
April 14, 2004 6:05:40 AM

>Anyway, the full announcement is below. It was submitted to several game
>news sites (especially ones with a stronger bias toward browser-based
>games), but less than a hundred sign-ups so far (plus the 70 or so carried
>over from beta 1.0) are less than I had hoped for. Most of these, judging

Silly comment, I know, but maybe it would help the signups if that page
didn't make my eyes bleed? :)

Small yellow text, gray with horizontal lines... the words are swimming
across the page and I can't read them. OW.
---
Hanako Games
Anime Games and Screensavers To Download
http://www.hanakogames.com/
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 6:05:41 AM

"Papillon" <papillon_hentai@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Silly comment, I know, but maybe it would help the signups if that page
> didn't make my eyes bleed? :)
>
> Small yellow text, gray with horizontal lines... the words are swimming
> across the page and I can't read them. OW.

Hmmm, not silly. It's probably a brightness/contrast thing. I've felt that
the gray lines background shows too brightly on my laptop, but looks great
on my desktop PCs. Nobody else has mentioned it, but it's easy enough to dim
(will check it tonight). It seems more a problem at higher resolutions.

Thanks,

Mike Snyder
Prowler Productions
!