Iria_X

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004
can anyone tell me what the best HDTV card is out their to buy that is a PCI card. I have looked into it for a while and can't really decide on which one to pick up. I also need the card to be able to hook up to a my VCR.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Huappauge has an HDTV WinPVR, and like all their PVR series, they cost more because they have hardware encoding. But in this case you double the price AGAIN because it's HDTV.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
ATI's HD-TV Wonder Remote Edition is the best.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not done!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, best...Hauppauge offers 100% hardware compression, how much hardware assistance does the ATI card provide?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
Ati is all right but the second gen should be exellent

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s

Athaclena

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I've got a VisionPlus DVB-t card, and it's fantastic, especially when used with the DigitalWatch software, developed entirely by the DVB user community.

I get perfect HDTV, including AC3 via SPDIF directly to my surround amp, and it was also one of the cheapest cards I found when I went shopping for it.

Recording is painless, excellent quality, and the resulting MPEG2 files can be burned directly to DVD. Using the WebScheduler frontend, I can even remotely program recordings from anywhere on the Net.

Oh, and with a bit of tweaking, it will work with Windows Media Center Edition as well.

If you'd like more info, check out the following forum, which also has info on other cards as well:

http://forums.dvbowners.com/

As far as hooking up to your VCR, none of the tuners I know of will output analogue video natively, you will still need a video card with a video-out.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Athaclena on 09/19/04 08:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>