copying folders - restricted access ?

Hi

I usually back up my data by copying the entire My Documents folder to an
external drive on a daily basis.

Now when I try this, I get the usual 'preparing to copy' window, but then an
'Error copying file or folder' window with the message 'cannot copy file'.

Any ideas ? Is the file too big (about 32gb) or is it an access/ security
thing ?

Thanks

--
Tobit Curteis
________________________

    TC wrote:
    > I usually back up my data by copying the entire My Documents folder
    > to an external drive on a daily basis.
    >
    > Now when I try this, I get the usual 'preparing to copy' window, but
    > then an 'Error copying file or folder' window with the message
    > 'cannot copy file'.
    > Any ideas ? Is the file too big (about 32gb) or is it an access/
    > security thing ?

    How is the external drive formatted? FAT32 or NTFS?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    You may be running into file size limits.

    If you have a single 32 gig file, and you are trying to copy it to a FAT32
    partition, it will fail because FAT32 has a file size limitation of 4
    gigs...

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "TC" <tc@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > I usually back up my data by copying the entire My Documents folder to an
    > external drive on a daily basis.
    >
    > Now when I try this, I get the usual 'preparing to copy' window, but then
    > an 'Error copying file or folder' window with the message 'cannot copy
    > file'.
    >
    > Any ideas ? Is the file too big (about 32gb) or is it an access/ security
    > thing ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Tobit Curteis
    > ________________________
    > Cambridge
    > UK

    Both drives are NTFS. In fact the system has been working fine until a
    couple of weeks ago.

    My gut feeling is that it is some sort of a access restriction. Is it
    possible to reset the access controls for the root directory and clear every
    other restriction for sub directorys (or is that what I am doing when I set
    the my docs folder as sharable?)

    Thanks

    E-mail: tc@tobit-curteis-associates.com
    Web: www.tobit-curteis-associates.com
    "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > You may be running into file size limits.
    >
    > If you have a single 32 gig file, and you are trying to copy it to a FAT32
    > partition, it will fail because FAT32 has a file size limitation of 4
    > gigs...
    >
    > --
    > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    >
    > "TC" <tc@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I usually back up my data by copying the entire My Documents folder to an
    >> external drive on a daily basis.
    >>
    >> Now when I try this, I get the usual 'preparing to copy' window, but then
    >> an 'Error copying file or folder' window with the message 'cannot copy
    >> file'.
    >>
    >> Any ideas ? Is the file too big (about 32gb) or is it an access/ security
    >> thing ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> --
    >> Tobit Curteis
    >> ________________________
    >> Cambridge
    >> UK

    Yes, you can reset your access controls.

    Goto Start, Help and Support and type "file ownership" as your topic

    Then select from the "Pick a task" section
    "Taking Ownership of Files/Folders"

    You may then need to give yourself permission to access the files

    Instructions to do that task can be found via the same instructions as
    above, but rather than the "Taking Ownership of Files/Folders", you'll want
    the topic titled "To set, view, change, or remove special permissions for
    files and folders"

    --

    > Both drives are NTFS. In fact the system has been working fine until a
    > couple of weeks ago.
    >
    > My gut feeling is that it is some sort of a access restriction. Is it
    > possible to reset the access controls for the root directory and clear
    > every other restriction for sub directorys (or is that what I am doing
    > when I set the my docs folder as sharable?)
    >
    > Thanks

    > E-mail: tc@tobit-curteis-associates.com
    > Web: www.tobit-curteis-associates.com
    > "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> You may be running into file size limits.
    >>
    >> If you have a single 32 gig file, and you are trying to copy it to a
    >> FAT32 partition, it will fail because FAT32 has a file size limitation of
    >> 4 gigs...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    >>
    >> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    >>
    >> "TC" <tc@DON'TSPAMMEtcassociates.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I usually back up my data by copying the entire My Documents folder to
    >>> an external drive on a daily basis.
    >>>
    >>> Now when I try this, I get the usual 'preparing to copy' window, but
    >>> then an 'Error copying file or folder' window with the message 'cannot
    >>> copy file'.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas ? Is the file too big (about 32gb) or is it an access/
    >>> security thing ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Tobit Curteis