language change on Palm vx

September 8, 2004 6:47:26 PM

I recently aquired a Japanese Vx. Does anybody know how to change this
device to English? Osflash won't work--incompatible ROM. Neither will
the 4.1 English OS upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

More about : language change palm

September 9, 2004 12:44:00 AM

"S. Mittelstaedt" <ssmitt@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<2YE%c.9688$fF2.4174@trnddc03>...
> I recently aquired a Japanese Vx. Does anybody know how to change this
> device to English? Osflash won't work--incompatible ROM. Neither will
> the 4.1 English OS upgrade.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Why not erase the built-in rom programs (datebk, to do, etc) and
install the English equivalent? (programs like jackflash do this) You
were trying to replace the *entire* ROM, but have you tried replacing
bits and pieces of the ROM to make it more English? That's the pro,
but the con is that you will still have some japanese left in it.

Note that I have not tried this, so I don't know if this works, but it
seems logical.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 5:00:44 PM

S. Mittelstaedt wrote:

> I recently aquired a Japanese Vx. Does anybody know how to change this
> device to English? Osflash won't work--incompatible ROM. Neither will
> the 4.1 English OS upgrade.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm actually in the opposite boat. I bought an English VIIx, and want to
put the Japanese firmware on it. Heh.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 6:08:39 PM

Got a tip that worked. The 4.1 English OS upgrade will work if the Vx
is in debug mode. This bypasses the initial language checks for the
hotsync manager.

You might have a problem though. The Japanese Vx firmware is
significantly larger than the English one and goes on a 4mb ROM instead
of the 2mb ROM shipped with the English unit. I don't know anything
about the VII hardware but there could be a similar issue.

!