Windows ME Update??

Baztian

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I installed ME (there was no other option) but it contains a lot of errors. Where can I download an update that I can burn on a CD RW and install it on the computer (this computer does not have an internet-connection)?

Thanks,

Baztian

>4&*

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
Windows ME is basically Microsofts "after thought" the windows which was thrown together and flung at the masses to shut them up because the much better written windows2000 wasn't compatible with many of the games etc they wanted to run. Go back to windows98se, or if you can afford it and have a big enough hard disk, plenty of ram and a reasonably fast CPU buy Windows XP it’s basically windows2000 with the compatibility issues solved.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I have ME at the moment but if I set in the bios to load from CD first, can I then use the win 98 CD to overwrite ME, or will I need to completely format my Hard Drive?

If all else fails, Go further :)

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
The best way would be to re-format the harddisk as the windows 98 setup cd will probably detect that you already have a newer version of windows installed and abort. In any case you're better off wiping the harddisk to get rid of any unwanted ME files which will only take up space and pose potential conflicts. Boot from your 98 cd and choose the option "start computer with cd-rom support" when you get to the dos command prompt check what drive letter has been assigned to your cd-rom (it could be d: e: f: etc depending on how many partitions and/or harddisks/cd-roms you have). Type D: (or other letter) at the command prompt (press enter) then type cd win98 (press enter again). Type format c: (press enter). After you have formatted the harddisk type setup (press enter) and you will commence installing your clean installation of windows 98.