More Memory For My DAW?

mark4man

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
<b>People,</b>

Called my PC mfg. (Dell) hoping to beef up on RAM cheaply (I do a lot of work in digital audio multitracking...& naturally want the best performance possible out of my machine.)

They informed me that my box has two 256MB sticks of NECC (Non Error Correction Code) RDRAM; & that they didn't mfg. NECC anymore; & that I would have to remove the two NECC sticks & replace them with ECC (Error Correction Code) sticks because the two types cannot be mixed; & they recommended two 512MB sticks, to the tune of 550 bucks.

My MoBo is an Intel 850E; & Intel says it has 4 RDRAM RIMM* Sockets; & supports PC800 RDRAM (from 128MB to 2GB.) The MCH (Memory Controller Hub) works via Integrated Dual Direct RAMBUS* technology.

I'm running SONAR XL on the Dell (8250) w/ a P4 (2.5GHz - 512 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB) & a dedicated audio drive (both drives are ATA/133.) My existing memory is 512 MB PC1066 RDRAM (this last spec...which is from my original packing list...I find interesting...because...Dell says I have PC1066 in the box now...Intel says that board supports PC800.)

So, I'm wondering:

Why can't I mix?
If I can't...can I just pick up another 512MB NECC stick from a reputable mfg. & throw it in the box?
What's the difference between NECC & ECC anyway (& why the frick does memory need error correction to begin with?)
Do I really need ECC?
What should I do?

Thanks,

<b>mark4man</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Funny stuff!

OK, first thing is, OTHER companies have LEFT OVER PC1066 RDRAM.

Second, Intel never approved PC1066 memory. Instead, for 533 bus P4's they recommended PC800-40, that is, 40ns PC800 as opposed to standard 45ns stuff, which could support lower latencies.

Third, PC1066 IS the correct RAM speed for 533 bus P4's. Intel just never got around to certifying it. So Intel was recommending using SLOWER RAM than what the P4 was suited for.

So I'd just get some third-party PC1066 for your computer, non-ECC is the most common type on the market.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mark4man

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
<b>Crashman,</b>

Not to inflate your ego or anything...but, that was the best damn info I got anywhere!

Thanks very much.

Who would you recommend (for third-party PC1066)?

Thanks again,

<b>mark4man</b>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Also, you ahve to install RDRAM in pairs there.

Confirm you actually have 4 slots, as at least by information you gave, not sure you can say that. i850E is a chipset, not a motherboard. THe chipset may support 4 banks of rdram(installed in pairs, so two pairs of two), but that doesn't mean the particular motherboard that Dell chose has 4 populatable slots, may just have 2, as they seemed to indicate to you. If so, then they would be correct that you have to remove your old ram, not just add some enw stuff.

But yeah, buy the RDRAM in pairs, just add other Non ECC ram if you have 4 slots, or replace yours if you have 2 slots. I prefer Samsung for RDRAM. well, did when I used RDRAM. :)

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
OK, just went back and hit up dell's site for info.

<A HREF="http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8250/techov.htm#1084976" target="_new">http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8250/techov.htm#1084976</A>

Picture there seems to indicate that you do have 4 rimm slots.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most PC1066 companies used Samsung RAM, I'd check the normal online venders like Newegg (I don't have any specific vender in mind at the moment). Watch out for companies selling RIMM4200 as "32-bit PC1066", it's a different form and won't fit. PC1066 is 16-bit, RIMM4200 is a pair of those on a single module.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Crash is absolutely right that most people use Samsung, though there are some others out there(or soem like Kingston, who started with Samsung when PC1066 first came out, as that's all they coudl get, but then at least were planning on switching the chips).

That being said, Newegg doesn't have any 1066, least, not when I checked this morning. So Gonna have to head over to Pricewatch or somewhere similar. Be aware though that $550 isn't exactly unreasonable for a pair of 512MB non ecc chips. THink Newegg wanted 239 or something each for them(but they were only 800mhz). So don't be surprised if you're still gonna end up paying $500 or so for a gig(assuming you get new chips, rather than just adding 2 more 256MB chips to ones you already have)