My internet shortcuts won't work.

I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of the
usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop will
not work.

Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?

Please help, Frank

If by rationalizing you mean deleting then I can see why you as a core
designer of windows XP woud feel qualified to do this.

I myself take random peices out of my microwave because I know they don't
need to be there.

Of course now I get a splitting headache everytime I bake a potato.

I have no idea what you mean by the usual crop of bugs.

"Frank Martin" wrote:

> I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of the
> usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop will
> not work.
>
> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?
>
> Please help, Frank

You are asking the question but you already KNOW the answer. If you know the
program that the icon was associated with, reinstall the program.

Don't go deleting things. You will shoot yourself in the foot again!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of
>the usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop
>will not work.
>
> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?
>
> Please help, Frank

JS

Frank Martin wrote:
> I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of the
> usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop will
> not work.
>
> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?

What do you mean by "rationalizing" and what bugs are you trying to fix?

If you mean you've been deleting arbitrary files from the Windows
folder, which files did you delete?

ytt

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2003

!

> You are asking the question but you already KNOW the answer. If you know
> the program that the icon was associated with, reinstall the program.
>
> Don't go deleting things. You will shoot yourself in the foot again!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>>I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of
>>the usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop
>>will not work.
>>
>> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?
>>
>> Please help, Frank

kelly

Chill.....full moon phase has passed!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> You are asking the question but you already KNOW the answer. If you know
> the program that the icon was associated with, reinstall the program.
>
> Don't go deleting things. You will shoot yourself in the foot again!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>>I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of
>>the usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop
>>will not work.
>>
>> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?
>>
>> Please help, Frank

Many thanks for all replies; I fixed the problem by restoring the "System
State" from a recent tape backup.

I was trying to remove those annoying shortcuts that keep appearing on the
tastbar even after the culprit software has been removed by the Windows
Add/Remove program.

They drive me crazy!

Also, there is a fair amount of junk software that always appears after a
session with the P2P (Limewire) program, and this errant software often
appears in the Windows directory.

Next time I will rename (rem out) the bugs, just in case.

"Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of
>the usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop
>will not work.
>
> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?
>
> Please help, Frank

kelly

If the software is properly removed the icons should no longer be present in
the Notification Area. The Taskbar section means the program is running and
in case you meant the Quick Launch section which many programs load if you
don't uncheck otherwise during an install, those may have to be removed
manually, depending.

As for Add or Remove - again depending on the software and integrity of the
programmer(s), no remnants should be left behind to annoy you.

As for LimeWire, that is your best bet with what else is offered these days
(speaking from a mom of many teens -- points of view). :eek:) As for P2P that
is another story. Good luck!

Added info for later times:

Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

HTM/HTML Fix for Windows XP
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/html_association_fix.zip

Remove Past Items From the Notification Area (Line 53)

> Many thanks for all replies; I fixed the problem by restoring the "System
> State" from a recent tape backup.
>
> I was trying to remove those annoying shortcuts that keep appearing on the
> tastbar even after the culprit software has been removed by the Windows
> Add/Remove program.
>
> They drive me crazy!
>
> Also, there is a fair amount of junk software that always appears after a
> session with the P2P (Limewire) program, and this errant software often
> appears in the Windows directory.
>
> Next time I will rename (rem out) the bugs, just in case.
>

> "Frank Martin" <paul@colonel.com.au> wrote in message
>>I have been rationalizing some files in the Windows folder to get rid of
>>the usual crop of bugs, and now I find that some shortcuts on the desktop
>>will not work.
>>
>> Is there some file for this that I might have erased by mistake?
>>
>> Please help, Frank

Very many thanks for this.
We live & learn!