Toshiba A105-S2712 won't tun on

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I have a Toshiba A105-S2712. It was working Ok, except that it would someitmes shut down (I think form overheating)
I took it apart to clean the heat sink and fan, and re-do the thermal grease on the processor. I used an anti-static wrist strap, and did everything very carefully. I put it back together, and now it won't power on. I tried without RAM, wifi, hard drive, battery- same result. I tried holding the power button down with no power cable attached, then hook up and tried again. Still, no start up. Two lights on front light up indicating power coming in to the unit and charging battery. When I press the power on button, nothing else happens.

dannno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

I did that a couple of times. There aren't that many things to connect- fan wires, a few ribbon cables, two other wire sets with connectors, keyboard, display...
Dannno

Alrighty then. Take a part of piece by piece until you can get the machine to boot. It'll be tasking, but you should eventually find a state in which it operates.
Note that pieces include the chassis, too.

dannno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

I did everything but remove the motherboard form the base. With the fan out, I could see that the power jack plug was well seated. (the blue LED on front of the machine does light up). I didn't see any point to removing the motherboard, because I didn't have it off in the first place.
I have not been able to power up, even with everything removed.
Dannno

dannno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

I took out CD/ ROM drive, hard drive, wifi card, memory. I tried one stick of memory only in each of the two slots. I tried to boot without the keyboard too. I guess I didn't try iwthout the two speaker connectors plugged in though- I guess I should try that.

Yeah, we're quickly running out of options. Somehow you may have fried your motherboard, though I'm not sure how.

Try taking out the board and booting it - and see what it does with no RAM. It should beep at you or something..

dannno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

Is there a way to try to boot without the power on switch? I guess I'm asking how to test with nothing but perhaps display and power adapter hooked up to the mother board.

You should be able to just press the power switch down regardless if its in the chassis or not.

If you can't do that, simply take a screwdriver and short the two contacts (AND ONLY THOSE TWO) that the button uses.

But, yes, you've got the right idea for the test. That's exactly what I would do.

dannno

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009

The power button connects to the motherboard via a ribbon cable, which incorporates CD ROM controls. I probably won't be able to short as you suggest. I can try just having that ribbon cable and power source connected.....
I'll try that and get back to you.
dannno

Status
Not open for further replies.