PCI Simple Communications controller

July 4, 2005 1:19:14 PM

When I try to capture video to Windows Movie Maker from my digital camcorder
using a firewire port I get the following message - 'The video device cannot
be used at this time because there has been an error when starting the
device'.
I suspect the problem is with the firewire card - as I can find no reference
to the card in device manager. Device manager does show a yellow question
mark against Other Devices - PCI Simple Communications Controller, for which
it can't find a driver. (What is a PCI Simple Communications Controller)

Things used to work without problems, but since then there have been a
number of changes to my computer including a new hard drive, and the
installation of SP2,

I have tried reinstalling SP2 but that doesn't help

Thanks

Gary
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 1:19:15 PM

The PCI Simple Communication Controller is your modem. Install valid Windows
XP drivers from the modem manufacturer for full modem functionality.

For your digital camcorder, you are looking for a 1394 connection. It will
be found (in device manager) under IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Gary Sams" <garysams@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> When I try to capture video to Windows Movie Maker from my digital
> camcorder
> using a firewire port I get the following message - 'The video device
> cannot
> be used at this time because there has been an error when starting the
> device'.
> I suspect the problem is with the firewire card - as I can find no
> reference
> to the card in device manager. Device manager does show a yellow question
> mark against Other Devices - PCI Simple Communications Controller, for
> which
> it can't find a driver. (What is a PCI Simple Communications Controller)
>
> Things used to work without problems, but since then there have been a
> number of changes to my computer including a new hard drive, and the
> installation of SP2,
>
> I have tried reinstalling SP2 but that doesn't help
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:37:00 PM

"Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Gary Sams" wrote:
>
>> When I try to capture video to Windows Movie Maker from my digital
>> camcorder
>> using a firewire port I get the following message - 'The video device
>> cannot
>> be used at this time because there has been an error when starting the
>> device'.
>> I suspect the problem is with the firewire card - as I can find no
>> reference
>> to the card in device manager. Device manager does show a yellow question
>> mark against Other Devices - PCI Simple Communications Controller, for
>> which
>> it can't find a driver. (What is a PCI Simple Communications Controller)
>>
>> Things used to work without problems, but since then there have been a
>> number of changes to my computer including a new hard drive, and the
>> installation of SP2,
>>
>> I have tried reinstalling SP2 but that doesn't help
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gary
>>
> Did you replace the main HD and clean install XP (re-format)? If you did
> then you will most likely need to install drivers for you firewire card.
> Get
> them from your computer manufacturer (if it came with the box) or your
> firewire card manufacturer. PCI Simple Communications Controller is a
> function of your modem. You may also need to re-install drivers for it, as
> mentioned above. Usually your manufacturer can provide updated drivers for
> XP
> and SP2.

Yes, I replaced the HD and did a clean install of XP and SP2. I think the
PCI Simple Communications Controller is a red herring - my modem is working
fine. Surely XP should have built in drivers for the card - I don't remember
having to install drivers for it when I bought it. I have found a reference
in device manager to IE1394 Bus Host Controllers - VIA OHCI Compliant IE1394
Host Controller. It claims to be working fine.

If I do need to find a driver - I have the problem of not remembering its
make, or where I got it from. On the outside it just says ACE 001. On the
card itself there are various numbers and symbols - CE FC, EW 94v-8 VO-1,
FW110 Rev 1.1. I have an ACER motherboard - perhaps I should try their site?

Thanks

Gary
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:00:58 PM

We have success!!!!!

I was so blinkered by the PCI Bus controller thing, I did not notice at
first
that the card was now appearing in device manager as a result of removing
the card rebooting
twice. It is now working again.

I am still annoyed by the PCI Bus controller, but it may just mean that if I
ever want to go back from broadband to my old dial-up modem, I will need to
install the drivers,

Thanks a lot
!