Recovery Console

I have a client who has a laptop that has a broken cd-rom drive. I need to
run a chkdsk as it is missing some important system files. What would
enable me to do a chkdsk without a cd? He currently has Windows XP Pro
without any service packs installed. Thanks in advance.

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org
5 answers Last reply
More about recovery console

    Hi,

    You can run a chkdsk by entering 'chkdsk c: /r' from a command prompt
    (start/run cmd). However, as Will has suggested, the proper manner of
    detecting and replacing corrupted system files is to run 'sfc /scannow'. You
    may find, however, that you need an original system disk if the I386 folder
    was not transferred to the hard drive as part of setup.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a client who has a laptop that has a broken cd-rom drive. I need to
    >run a chkdsk as it is missing some important system files. What would
    >enable me to do a chkdsk without a cd? He currently has Windows XP Pro
    >without any service packs installed. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    If the I386 folder was not put on the hard drive, and the laptop has
    a usb port, you could use a 512 meg or larger flash drive to transfer
    a copy of the I386 folder
    ( see http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html for info on
    copying the I386 folder to the hard drive and changing the pointer
    to there). This would allow sfc to run and fix the bad files.

    mikey

    > Hi,
    >
    > You can run a chkdsk by entering 'chkdsk c: /r' from a command prompt
    > (start/run cmd). However, as Will has suggested, the proper manner of
    > detecting and replacing corrupted system files is to run 'sfc /scannow'.
    You
    > may find, however, that you need an original system disk if the I386
    folder
    > was not transferred to the hard drive as part of setup.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a client who has a laptop that has a broken cd-rom drive. I need
    > >run a chkdsk as it is missing some important system files. What would
    > >enable me to do a chkdsk without a cd? He currently has Windows XP Pro
    > >without any service packs installed. Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nocturnal
    > >
    > > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    Hi

    Try running the following command from Start>Run

    sfc /scannow

    the system files 'may' be replaced from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
    folder. chkdsk won't replace any system files. Have you got access to an
    external CD drive, that could be used?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a client who has a laptop that has a broken cd-rom drive. I need to
    >run a chkdsk as it is missing some important system files. What would
    >enable me to do a chkdsk without a cd? He currently has Windows XP Pro
    >without any service packs installed. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    Hi

    You won't be able to get in the Recovery Console, unless it has been
    installed onto the hard disk - with the broken CD drive. Unless you can
    find one of the external drives I mentioned in my last posting.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a client who has a laptop that has a broken cd-rom drive. I need to
    >run a chkdsk as it is missing some important system files. What would
    >enable me to do a chkdsk without a cd? He currently has Windows XP Pro
    >without any service packs installed. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    Have him replace the drive as he will need it again. :o)

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >I have a client who has a laptop that has a broken cd-rom drive. I need to
    >run a chkdsk as it is missing some important system files. What would
    >enable me to do a chkdsk without a cd? He currently has Windows XP Pro
    >without any service packs installed. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

Chkdsk CD-Rom Recovery Console Windows XP