New Sony PDAs?

September 9, 2004 3:18:43 AM

I live in the Berkeley, California area, and I noticed that my local
stores, CompUSA, Circuit City, Staples, and others are just about out of
the Sony PDA line?

I don't see anything about it on Sony's Web site, and I see that Sony still
sells it there.

Anyone heard about new models coming out, or about Sony just not selling
them to stores anymore?

What gives?

Thanks.

--
Please delete "ANTI-SPAM" from email address daveg7777777@ANTI-SPAMyahoo.com
David Godinger: Go player, student of Mahatma Gandhi, the Buddha, and Dr. Martin King

More about : sony pdas

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:18:44 AM

http://news.com.com/Sony+to+exit+key+handheld+arenas/21...

has some of your answers.

Jim Lahue

David Godinger wrote:

> I live in the Berkeley, California area, and I noticed that my local
> stores, CompUSA, Circuit City, Staples, and others are just about out of
> the Sony PDA line?
>
> I don't see anything about it on Sony's Web site, and I see that Sony still
> sells it there.
>
> Anyone heard about new models coming out, or about Sony just not selling
> them to stores anymore?
>
> What gives?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Please delete "ANTI-SPAM" from email address daveg7777777@ANTI-SPAMyahoo.com
> David Godinger: Go player, student of Mahatma Gandhi, the Buddha, and Dr. Martin King
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 7:19:00 AM

David Godinger <daveg7777777@ANTI-SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<hr4vj0thn7m9d80dcbv2afeg25ajb88n4o@4ax.com>...
> I live in the Berkeley, California area,

Gawd... I love California. The women are friendlier, and alot prettier.
Umm... oh yeah... your post...

> I don't see anything about it on Sony's Web site, and I see that Sony still
> sells it there.
>
> Anyone heard about new models coming out, or about Sony just not selling
> them to stores anymore?

Another poster gave reference to news about Sony's pullout of the
PDA market. I'd just like to add, that I don't think they are
going to comeback into the market soon, if not at all. If they
do, I think it will be via WindowsCE, or a variant on Linux.

Just looking at these sleek gadgets coming out from Sony, I think
Sony will be going in the direction of teenie-weenie PCs. I hope
I'm wrong.

Look at the UX70. It's almost as small as a PDA, with laptop
functionality. Neat toy. I want it. :)

I've been fishing around for an adequate replacement for my NX80,
as soon as the market makes it obsolete. I think I will switch to
a Sharp Zaurus SL-C860, or a Samsung Nexio S160. Both are wicked
expensive, but seem to have all or most of the slick features I
liked about the NX series. Here's a link:

http://www.dynamism.com/zaurus/
http://www.dynamism.com/nexio/index.shtml

I know, PDA purists hate guys like me who want every whizbang feature
in their PDA as if to tell us, "You don't need all that, PDA's are
meant to display PC data." But, the truth is I do use all the features.
I use the camera, the video camera, the voice recorder on a daily
basis for the work that I do. In addition, I use the spreadsheets,
the databases, and the word processors too and I wish my NX80 was more
powerful than it is.

> What gives?

Don't know. I hope Sony gets back into the game.

> Thanks.
Related resources
September 9, 2004 4:12:02 PM

On 9 Sep 2004 03:19:00 -0700, Love Rhino wrote:

> Another poster gave reference to news about Sony's pullout of the
> PDA market. I'd just like to add, that I don't think they are
> going to comeback into the market soon, if not at all. If they
> do, I think it will be via WindowsCE

WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)

> I know, PDA purists hate guys like me who want every whizbang feature
> in their PDA as if to tell us, "You don't need all that, PDA's are
> meant to display PC data." But, the truth is I do use all the features.

Look for the Victorinix PDA, coming soon to an Army/Navy store
near you.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:12:03 PM

"BillB" <rainbose@earthlink.newt> wrote in message
> WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
> out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)

Sony isn't leaving the Palm PDA market - Sony is leaving the *North
American* Palm PDA market. Sony is still making Clies and still selling
them elsewhere.

Jim
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 4:12:03 PM

BillB <rainbose@earthlink.newt> wrote in message news:<1th0k09rfn62mue47q1ivtdeaatjoq23i3@4ax.com>...
> On 9 Sep 2004 03:19:00 -0700, Love Rhino wrote:
>
> > Another poster gave reference to news about Sony's pullout of the
> > PDA market. I'd just like to add, that I don't think they are
> > going to comeback into the market soon, if not at all. If they
> > do, I think it will be via WindowsCE
>
> WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
> out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)

Your comment would be funny if you said Sony was replacing
their modified Linux OS in their Playstation with Windows.
As it stands your comment makes no sense.

> > I know, PDA purists hate guys like me who want every whizbang feature
> > in their PDA as if to tell us, "You don't need all that, PDA's are
> > meant to display PC data." But, the truth is I do use all the features.
>
> Look for the Victorinix PDA, coming soon to an Army/Navy store
> near you.

I'm not quite sure why you need to make wise crack remark when
you don't even know me. There are people out there who need
all the swiss-army gadgetry all in one device. I got into
PDA's because they finally had something I'd find useful in
such a compact volume.

Perhaps if you can understand this, then there would be no need
to make another bad attempt at humor, and you may actually help
the original poster.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 7:21:58 PM

Jim MacKenzie wrote:

> "BillB" <rainbose@earthlink.newt> wrote in message
> > WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
> > out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)
>
> Sony isn't leaving the Palm PDA market - Sony is leaving the *North
> American* Palm PDA market. Sony is still making Clies and still selling
> them elsewhere.

Reference was also made to European markets.

Notan
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 8:31:35 PM

In article <1th0k09rfn62mue47q1ivtdeaatjoq23i3@4ax.com>,
alt.usenet.this.newsgroup wrote:

> On 9 Sep 2004 03:19:00 -0700, Love Rhino wrote:
>
> > Another poster gave reference to news about Sony's pullout of the
> > PDA market. I'd just like to add, that I don't think they are
> > going to comeback into the market soon, if not at all. If they
> > do, I think it will be via WindowsCE
>
> WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
> out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)

Sony is staying with the Palm OS outside of North America and has praised
the Palm OS highly in the past.

I doubt they'd go with Windows CE because they don't want Microsoft
designing their hardware, which is the case in the PocketPC world. If
nothing else, Sony likes to differentiate their products from their
competitors'.

There's an outside possibility Sony would go with Symbian since their
phone division, Sony/Ericsson, is already on the Symbian wagon.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:33:21 PM

Love Rhino wrote:

> David Godinger <daveg7777777@ANTI-SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<hr4vj0thn7m9d80dcbv2afeg25ajb88n4o@4ax.com>...
>
>>I live in the Berkeley, California area,
>

> Gawd... I love California. The women are friendlier, and alot prettier.
> Umm... oh yeah... your post...

There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
after I moved away...

- Logan
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:45:07 PM

Logan Shaw wrote:

> Love Rhino wrote:
>
> > David Godinger <daveg7777777@ANTI-SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<hr4vj0thn7m9d80dcbv2afeg25ajb88n4o@4ax.com>...
> >
> >>I live in the Berkeley, California area,
> >

> > Gawd... I love California. The women are friendlier, and alot prettier.
> > Umm... oh yeah... your post...
>
> There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
> after I moved away...

Maybe they waited! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:08:05 AM

Notan wrote:

> Logan Shaw wrote:

>>There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
>>after I moved away...

> Maybe they waited! <g>

OK, here I am trying to provide a little levity for everyone,
and... OUCH that stings!

At least the women where I live now did not all move away when
I got here.

- Logan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:09:21 AM

Logan Shaw wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
> > Logan Shaw wrote:
>
> >>There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
> >>after I moved away...
>
> > Maybe they waited! <g>
>
> OK, here I am trying to provide a little levity for everyone,
> and... OUCH that stings!
>
> At least the women where I live now did not all move away when
> I got here.

My father always said, "If you can't laugh at yourself, laugh at
someone else." <g>

Take care!

Notan
September 10, 2004 1:03:28 AM

On 9 Sep 2004 12:08:04 -0700, Love Rhino wrote:

>> WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
>> out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)

> Your comment would be funny if you said Sony was replacing
> their modified Linux OS in their Playstation with Windows.
> As it stands your comment makes no sense.

Mais non, garçon. My idea is stupidly do-able, would require no
development and most people that are familiar with the Playstation
also know about MS's X-Box. Replacing Linux in the Playstation with
Windows in the Playstation is merely a stupid idea. It would require
that Sony do quite a bit of development. Unless, that is, the idea
for the new Sony/MS Playstation is that it only play X-Box games.
But that would be a *truly* stupid idea. And while referring to
Linux in the Playstation might be worth a mention in another
newsgroup, it wouldn't be in this one, since most of the people in
this ng are not hardcore gamers and might not get the point. As it
stands, your comment's logic is about as highly developed as your
sense of humor.

>>> I know, PDA purists hate guys like me who want every whizbang feature
>>> in their PDA as if to tell us, "You don't need all that, PDA's are
>>> meant to display PC data." But, the truth is I do use all the features.
>>
>> Look for the Victorinix PDA, coming soon to an Army/Navy store
>> near you.
>
> I'm not quite sure why you need to make wise crack remark when
> you don't even know me. There are people out there who need
> all the swiss-army gadgetry all in one device. I got into
> PDA's because they finally had something I'd find useful in
> such a compact volume.

I may not have known much about you before, but I do now. For
what it's worth, my comments were in no way intended to ridicule
you, but you evidently are predisposed to that misinterpretation, as
shown by your own words: "I know, PDA purists hate guys like me".
For what it's worth, I have nothing against gadgets (have far too
many of them), once owned a Swiss Army Knife (now own one of the
Leatherman clones), can occasionally be found in Sharper Image,
Brookstone, Hammacher Schlemmer and other similar stores, eagerly
await the introduction of multiprocessor PDAs and simply thought
that saying:

>> Look for the Victorinix PDA, coming soon to an Army/Navy
>> store near you.

would be an amusing way to refer to a do-everything PDA without
mentioning Swiss Army knives, and probably would go over the heads
of many people, but would be understood by most Swiss Army Knife
owners and enthusiasts. You got it, but your too thin skin and
persecution complex led you to completely misunderstand the intent
of my post.
September 10, 2004 6:09:56 AM

Yes, Europe is out too for Sony's PDA's:
http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?name=News&file=arti...

Also, there are rumors that Sony was/is considering the PocketPC platform:
http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?name=News&file=arti...

This part is just truly speculation, but I think its more of an issue that
they are frustrated with how slowly (in their opinion at least ) the Palm OS
is progressing in the way of multimedia capabilities. Sony has been pushing
hard on Palm and has had to develop their own API's for all that. They also
got real frustrated with the FCC when their dual Wi-Fi/BT TH55 got rejected.
They basically ended up saying "forget you guys, I'll just release Wi-Fi in
the U.S. then without BT".

Another thing is that despite their great PDA's, there marketshare has not
been that good in the U.S. Plus, with the rate at which they pump out new
PDA's and discontinue them, I don't see how they ever get production
efficiency such that they are turning a good profit.

It almost seems like they just want to stick to the Japanese market while
they are still churning out models so quickly, since this market will snatch
them up and their distribution costs are lower.

Then again, none of us can read minds. There's no way to really tell what
they are thinking right now. Only time will tell as to what they end up
doing...

--
tim@palmzone.net
http://www.palmzone.net

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <1th0k09rfn62mue47q1ivtdeaatjoq23i3@4ax.com>,
> alt.usenet.this.newsgroup wrote:
>
> > On 9 Sep 2004 03:19:00 -0700, Love Rhino wrote:
> >
> > > Another poster gave reference to news about Sony's pullout of the
> > > PDA market. I'd just like to add, that I don't think they are
> > > going to comeback into the market soon, if not at all. If they
> > > do, I think it will be via WindowsCE
> >
> > WindowsCE? That makes sense. I've heard that Sony will also pull
> > out of the Playstation market so they can secondsource the X-Box. :)
>
> Sony is staying with the Palm OS outside of North America and has praised
> the Palm OS highly in the past.
>
> I doubt they'd go with Windows CE because they don't want Microsoft
> designing their hardware, which is the case in the PocketPC world. If
> nothing else, Sony likes to differentiate their products from their
> competitors'.
>
> There's an outside possibility Sony would go with Symbian since their
> phone division, Sony/Ericsson, is already on the Symbian wagon.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 5:33:57 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:33:21 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Love Rhino wrote:
>
>> David Godinger <daveg7777777@ANTI-SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<hr4vj0thn7m9d80dcbv2afeg25ajb88n4o@4ax.com>...
>>
>>>I live in the Berkeley, California area,
>>

>> Gawd... I love California. The women are friendlier, and alot prettier.
>> Umm... oh yeah... your post...
>
>There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
>after I moved away...

Perhaps you didn't spend much time in San Francisco. Due to its
"unique" demographics, there is an abundance of single women in San
Francisco.

> - Logan

--W-- (happily married)
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 2:17:19 PM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:33:57 -0700, I live on Outlook wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:33:21 GMT, Logan Shaw
> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Love Rhino wrote:

>>> Gawd... I love California. The women are friendlier, and alot prettier.
>>> Umm... oh yeah... your post...
>>
>>There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
>>after I moved away...
>
> Perhaps you didn't spend much time in San Francisco. Due to its
> "unique" demographics, there is an abundance of single women in San
> Francisco.

This, of course, assumes that the "uniqueness" of the demographics doesn't
affect the other side of the gender coin, as well.

--
Derek

It's amazing how much easier it is for a team to work together when no one
has any idea where they're going.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 6:52:44 PM

Oops! I live on Outlook <Private@privacy.org> was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:33:21 GMT, Logan Shaw
> <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Love Rhino wrote:

>>> Gawd... I love California. The women are friendlier, and alot
>>> prettier. Umm... oh yeah... your post...
>>
>>There are women in the Bay Area? Single ones? They must've arrived
>>after I moved away...
>
> Perhaps you didn't spend much time in San Francisco. Due to its
> "unique" demographics, there is an abundance of single women in San
> Francisco.

"Unique" indeed.

You'd think that this effect would assortedly have the nearly-economic
"supply and demand" effect of:

a) Drawing single men of the "not so unique" demographic, and/or

b) Driving out some of those single women...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne&gt; rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/wp.html

"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote in message
> You'd think that this effect would assortedly have the nearly-economic
> "supply and demand" effect of:
>
> a) Drawing single men of the "not so unique" demographic, and/or
>
> b) Driving out some of those single women...

You forget the externalities of the cost of living in San Francisco
(deterring a) above), and the incredible beauty and cultural richness of
the place (deterring b) above). :)

Jim
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 2:32:18 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:18:43 GMT, David Godinger wrote:

> I live in the Berkeley, California area, and I noticed that my local
> stores, CompUSA, Circuit City, Staples, and others are just about out of
> the Sony PDA line?
>
> I don't see anything about it on Sony's Web site, and I see that Sony still
> sells it there.
>
> Anyone heard about new models coming out, or about Sony just not selling
> them to stores anymore?
>
> What gives?
>
> Thanks.

Sony has pulled its PDA business back to Japan. They're not currently
selling any models directly through US or European distributors.

--
Derek

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive
idiots.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 2:34:46 PM

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:32:18 -0600, Derek wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:18:43 GMT, David Godinger wrote:
>
>> I live in the Berkeley, California area, and I noticed that my local
>> stores, CompUSA, Circuit City, Staples, and others are just about out of
>> the Sony PDA line?
>>
>> I don't see anything about it on Sony's Web site, and I see that Sony still
>> sells it there.
>>
>> Anyone heard about new models coming out, or about Sony just not selling
>> them to stores anymore?
>>
>> What gives?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Sony has pulled its PDA business back to Japan. They're not currently
> selling any models directly through US or European distributors.

I have GOT to start paying better attention to the time stamps on the
posts to which I'm responding. Here I thought this was a new post.

Maybe I need to increase my caffeine intake. Yeah, being jittery.
That'll help.

--
Derek

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." -- G.K.
Chesterton
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:52:36 PM

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:34:46 -0600, Derek had this to say...

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:32:18 -0600, Derek wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:18:43 GMT, David Godinger wrote:
> >
> >> I live in the Berkeley, California area, and I noticed that my local
> >> stores, CompUSA, Circuit City, Staples, and others are just about out of
> >> the Sony PDA line?
> >>
> >> I don't see anything about it on Sony's Web site, and I see that Sony still
> >> sells it there.
> >>
> >> Anyone heard about new models coming out, or about Sony just not selling
> >> them to stores anymore?
> >>
> >> What gives?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > Sony has pulled its PDA business back to Japan. They're not currently
> > selling any models directly through US or European distributors.
>
> I have GOT to start paying better attention to the time stamps on the
> posts to which I'm responding. Here I thought this was a new post.
>
> Maybe I need to increase my caffeine intake. Yeah, being jittery.
> That'll help.

Well once you saw your mistake, would have been nice to trim the 30
quoted lines. ( 8(|)

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:52:36 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:

> Well once you saw your mistake, would have been nice to trim the 30
> quoted lines. ( 8(|)

Point taken.

--
Derek

Failure: When your best just isn't good enough.
!