vanillaface

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
To those of you who have a 19 inch for gaming, what is your personal top choice? I've never owned a lcd and have always had a crt. I'm thinking about an NEC gx2 or a Samsung 931c although havent really seen them in action. If you have a 19" for gaming please post it and if you would rather have a different model. I know that lcd specs hardly mean anything anymore. Trying to get real opinions from real world experience.

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
yea... I've been researching for a while now about 19" lcd's...
after all my research off of reviews im pretty sure the NEC gx2 is the way to go..

sure ur giving up a little bit of response timing and money (depending on where you buy) but the general consensus seems to be that in actual gameplay the nec gx2 seems to be the favorite among the reviewers...

the samsung seems to have a problem because the colors are too sharp and too bright and the user friendliness of the adjusting is just... well.. not userfriendly... =)

the samsung also seems to have more issues with ghosting than the nec gx2 which would be a problem.. i dont know what games youre running but depending on the speed of the games you might seriously want to consider the ghosting issues on both nec and samsung

samsung's 931c also seems to have straining effects on the eye.. but thats redundant... so yea

if ur set on getting either of those two i would go with the NEC gx2... the reviews are in and NEC gx2 seems to be the better of the two especially with the more demanding games...ie - oblivion, hlsource, battlefield, quake3, world of warcraft etc etc~

WORLD OF WARCRAFT?! hahaha just thought i'd stick that one in there =P

jae
mlb

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Another popular gamer model is Viewsonic VX922. Don't concern yourself with ANY monitor's "Brightness" claims... you'll have to tone it down to about 100-120 nits regardless. FWIW... I'm a big fan of the NEC 90GX2 as well as the NEC 20WMGX2, though it has an IPS panel and is more expensive.

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
ViewSonic VX922 would be my choice overall too... bang for buck and performance... cant be matched... really a head above most other 19"'s at the
180 price range... you can check to see if it really lives up to its standard on xbitlabs.com... they do good testing on most 19" monitors and you can see the actual tested specs there instead of the lies on the box... =D

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
OK, now the same question....but let's take it up to a 22 inch widescreen! Mainlt first person shooters like COD2, BF2142....Crysis(when it comes out as well as MOH3)

jaedaddy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
for the 22" here are your top 3 options

CHIMEI 221D
SCEPTRE x22wg
Acer AL2223Wd

all three have one problem... their stands are apparently unstable... and if thats the case... u need to buy another stand but 22" lcd for ~300 ... i'd say a stand is reasonably in ur price range after that purchase...
the chimei and sceptre have minimal bleeding and the acer apparently has so little that there are no complaints... even in a pitch black room O_O...i'm skeptical but hey.. it could happen i guess...

Overall, I'd say go with the chimei or the acer... I'd take the acer if i had the money to ... but i'm sticking to my 19" viewsonic VX922 ^^

happy huntings

jae
mlb