Notebooks/Laptops

andylord03

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Can you please suggest a good laptop/notebook for me. I am a programmer.I am planning to do the following stuff with my laptop :
Linux OS (probably ubuntu)
Android development
Hackintosh (if possible)
IOS development
light entertainment purposes

My budget is around 35,000 Rupees. I have tried doing some research through internet but I am bit confused about buying one. I am looking for an anti-glare screen, 4 GB ram(2 slots is what I'm looking for), no OS (as I want multiple boots and buying a laptop with OS might be a stupid thing as I may need to format the system). About the processor the i5 second generation and 3rd generation is really confusing me.. will that make a real difference ? Please help me in picking a good one.

Thanks and regards
Ram

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
While I'm not sure if the Hackintosh is possible on the new Dell Precisions they just released, for development purposes any current ASUS will do. You will probably want a large enough screen for coding, say 15 inches, so shop around for that size.

As for the i5 2nd and 3rd gen, it is just a label for the older Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and newer Ivy Bridge (3rd gen). The Ivy Bridge CPUs are newer and feature a much more robust graphics core (still not good for serious gaming), and the CPU has improved IPC by about 10% on average.

You may get good discounts on the 2nd gen i5's, but if you can, pick up the 3rd gen (since you said light entertainment, which may involve some games) with a nice 15 inch screen.

andylord03

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

Thanks @maxx_power, I would look for a 3rd generation lap then.