Closed

How do I get a list of all folders and their sizes??

July 4, 2005 4:09:11 PM

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard disk
with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
Thanks in advance, David UK

More about : list folders sizes

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:09:12 PM

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi All,
> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
> Thanks in advance, David UK

I use this little program called Treesize Pro. There's a free trial.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

And there's a free version too.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

There's also PrintFolder Pro

http://no-nonsense-software.com/printfolder/

and a free version.

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

ss.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:09:12 PM

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi All,
> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
> Thanks in advance, David UK

And here's a discussion from a couple of years ago where a couple of other
people explain how to do it from the command prompt

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.os.windows-xp/brow...

ss.
July 4, 2005 4:09:12 PM

Hi David,

Open a command prompt (start/run cmd), go to the folder of choice.

Run "dir> file.txt". This will create a text file of the contents of the
folder that you can open in notepad for printing or saving.

If you wish to add the contents of the subdirectories, run "dir
<drive><folder> /s> file.txt".

You may find this useful:

HOW TO: Add "Print Directory" Feature for Folders in Windows XP [Q321379]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

If you head to google.com and search on "free directory printer", you will
also find many other useful tools.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi All,
> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
> Thanks in advance, David UK

July 4, 2005 4:50:37 PM

Thanks Synapse thats just what I need
Cheers, David

"Synapse Syndrome" <paradroid2000@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D ab6ea$2qg$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi All,
>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>>

> And here's a discussion from a couple of years ago where a couple of other
> people explain how to do it from the command prompt
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.os.windows-xp/brow...
>
> ss.

July 4, 2005 5:05:08 PM

Thanks Rick
Thats great,
Cheers, David

> Hi David,
>
> Open a command prompt (start/run cmd), go to the folder of choice.
>
> Run "dir> file.txt". This will create a text file of the contents of the
> folder that you can open in notepad for printing or saving.
>
> If you wish to add the contents of the subdirectories, run "dir
> <drive><folder> /s> file.txt".
>
> You may find this useful:
>
> HOW TO: Add "Print Directory" Feature for Folders in Windows XP [Q321379]
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
>
> If you head to google.com and search on "free directory printer", you will
> also find many other useful tools.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi All,
>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>> Thanks in advance, David UK

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:09:45 AM

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hi All,
> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
> Thanks in advance, David UK

A little confused about what you want - folders only, or the contents of
each folder? "Dates" means what? and "etc?"

From the command prompt, you could try

dir /s C:\ | findstr /b /c:" "

which will generate a listing of folder names with total contained
file-count and total size of those files.

dir /s C:\

will show each file with its date/time and size and a summary at the end of
each listed folder.

append

>filename.txt

to put the listing in the file "filename.txt"

Or try asking in alt.msdos.batch.nt (for NT,2K,XP) or alt.msdos.batch (for
DOS or 9X) with a more specific requirement...

HTH

....Bill
July 5, 2005 12:09:46 AM

Thanks bill
just been playing with that
all these file listing programs that claim to be free invariably mean 'free
trial'

I really want to be able to list the first level directories on the root
directory of a drive with the amount of disk space each directory takes up.

Cheers, David

"billious" <billious_1954@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi All,
>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>>

> A little confused about what you want - folders only, or the contents of
> each folder? "Dates" means what? and "etc?"
>
> From the command prompt, you could try
>
> dir /s C:\ | findstr /b /c:" "
>
> which will generate a listing of folder names with total contained
> file-count and total size of those files.
>
> dir /s C:\
>
> will show each file with its date/time and size and a summary at the end
> of each listed folder.
>
> append
>
>>filename.txt
>
> to put the listing in the file "filename.txt"
>
> Or try asking in alt.msdos.batch.nt (for NT,2K,XP) or alt.msdos.batch (for
> DOS or 9X) with a more specific requirement...
>
> HTH
>
> ...Bill

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:09:47 AM

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Sequoia View freeware gives you
a graphic overview of your files. The largest files show up as the
largest rectangles and the disk free space is a big(hopefully) rectangle
on the right side of the Sequoia View window.

Go to http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/.

Bill

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D abbvd$ho0$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk...
Thanks bill
just been playing with that
all these file listing programs that claim to be free invariably mean
'free
trial'

I really want to be able to list the first level directories on the root
directory of a drive with the amount of disk space each directory takes
up.

Cheers, David

"billious" <billious_1954@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi All,
>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my
>> hard
>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>>

> A little confused about what you want - folders only, or the contents
> of
> each folder? "Dates" means what? and "etc?"
>
> From the command prompt, you could try
>
> dir /s C:\ | findstr /b /c:" "
>
> which will generate a listing of folder names with total contained
> file-count and total size of those files.
>
> dir /s C:\
>
> will show each file with its date/time and size and a summary at the
> end
> of each listed folder.
>
> append
>
>>filename.txt
>
> to put the listing in the file "filename.txt"
>
> Or try asking in alt.msdos.batch.nt (for NT,2K,XP) or alt.msdos.batch
> (for
> DOS or 9X) with a more specific requirement...
>
> HTH
>
> ...Bill

July 5, 2005 12:09:48 AM

Blimey (as we say in England)
what a weird program Bill
Not quite what I want but interesting nevertheless
Cheers, David

"Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Not exactly what you're looking for, but Sequoia View freeware gives you
> a graphic overview of your files. The largest files show up as the
> largest rectangles and the disk free space is a big(hopefully) rectangle
> on the right side of the Sequoia View window.
>
> Go to http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/.
>
> Bill
>
> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:D abbvd$ho0$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk...
> Thanks bill
> just been playing with that
> all these file listing programs that claim to be free invariably mean
> 'free
> trial'
>
> I really want to be able to list the first level directories on the root
> directory of a drive with the amount of disk space each directory takes
> up.
>
> Cheers, David
>

> "billious" <billious_1954@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>>> Hi All,
>>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my
>>> hard
>>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>>>

>> A little confused about what you want - folders only, or the contents
>> of
>> each folder? "Dates" means what? and "etc?"
>>
>> From the command prompt, you could try
>>
>> dir /s C:\ | findstr /b /c:" "
>>
>> which will generate a listing of folder names with total contained
>> file-count and total size of those files.
>>
>> dir /s C:\
>>
>> will show each file with its date/time and size and a summary at the
>> end
>> of each listed folder.
>>
>> append
>>
>>>filename.txt
>>
>> to put the listing in the file "filename.txt"
>>
>> Or try asking in alt.msdos.batch.nt (for NT,2K,XP) or alt.msdos.batch
>> (for
>> DOS or 9X) with a more specific requirement...
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> ...Bill

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:34:45 AM

"Synapse Syndrome" <paradroid2000@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D ab67d$k78$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi All,
>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>

> I use this little program called Treesize Pro. There's a free trial.
>
> http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
>
> And there's a free version too.
>
> http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>

> There's also PrintFolder Pro
>
> http://no-nonsense-software.com/printfolder/
>
> and a free version.
>
> http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
>
> ss.

Expprint http://www.jddesign.co.uk/
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:22:29 AM

> "billious" <billious_1954@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>>> Hi All,
>>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
>>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>>>

>> A little confused about what you want - folders only, or the contents of
>> each folder? "Dates" means what? and "etc?"
>>
>> From the command prompt, you could try
>>
>> dir /s C:\ | findstr /b /c:" "
>>
>> which will generate a listing of folder names with total contained
>> file-count and total size of those files.
>>
>> dir /s C:\
>>
>> will show each file with its date/time and size and a summary at the end
>> of each listed folder.
>>
>> append
>>
>>>filename.txt
>>
>> to put the listing in the file "filename.txt"
>>
>> Or try asking in alt.msdos.batch.nt (for NT,2K,XP) or alt.msdos.batch
>> (for DOS or 9X) with a more specific requirement...
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> ...Bill

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D abbvd$ho0$1$830fa79d@news.demon.co.uk...
> Thanks bill
> just been playing with that
> all these file listing programs that claim to be free invariably mean
> 'free trial'
>
> I really want to be able to list the first level directories on the root
> directory of a drive with the amount of disk space each directory takes
> up.
>
> Cheers, David

Oh - so no dates and no etc.s then? Darn - love a good etc. now and then -
it becomes a challenge.

OK - try (as one line)

for /f "delims=" %i in ('dir /a:D /b C:\') do echo C:\%i&dir "C:\%i" |
findstr /b /c:" " | findstr /c:"File(s)"

The first findstr can be omitted if there are no files named "...File(s)..."

Note that this will show the total number of files and sum of those files'
sizes. It will not account for the size of any subdirectories.

HTH

....Bill
July 5, 2005 4:22:30 AM

Wow Thanks Bill
sorry to disappoint on the 'etc'
didn't realise that command line stuff could be so lengthy and complex
Cheers, David

> Oh - so no dates and no etc.s then? Darn - love a good etc. now and then -
> it becomes a challenge.
>
> OK - try (as one line)
>
> for /f "delims=" %i in ('dir /a:D /b C:\') do echo C:\%i&dir "C:\%i" |
> findstr /b /c:" " | findstr /c:"File(s)"
>
> The first findstr can be omitted if there are no files named
> "...File(s)..."
>
> Note that this will show the total number of files and sum of those files'
> sizes. It will not account for the size of any subdirectories.
>
> HTH
>
> ...Bill

July 26, 2005 2:04:41 PM

Thanks Alan, that treesize from jam software is the best yet
Cheers, David

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D aca1s$p2m$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Synapse Syndrome" <paradroid2000@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D ab67d$k78$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>
>> "David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D ab53o$i4p$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
>>> Hi All,
>>> Can anyone tell me how I can print out a list of all folders on my hard
>>> disk with name of folder, size in Mb, no of files, dates etc
>>> I must be stupid because I just cant seem to find a way to do it
>>> Thanks in advance, David UK
>>

>> I use this little program called Treesize Pro. There's a free trial.
>>
>> http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml
>>
>> And there's a free version too.
>>
>> http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>>

>> There's also PrintFolder Pro
>>
>> http://no-nonsense-software.com/printfolder/
>>
>> and a free version.
>>
>> http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
>>
>> ss.
>>

> Expprint http://www.jddesign.co.uk/

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:04:42 PM

"David" <david@epplus-nospamplease.org.uk> wrote in message
news:D c4u16$3ab$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Thanks Alan, that treesize from jam software is the best yet
> Cheers, David

T'was I !

ss.
February 7, 2013 4:19:42 PM

Here is a freeware Folder Size tool for you. I like the fact that it is very fast and updates Largest Files and Largest Folders reports instantly while navigating:
!