What is GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver?

I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.

When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
software cannot be found to install the drivers."

I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and GTNDIS5
NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver here,
I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then reappears!

This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance that
I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.

Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
procedure at
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then I
began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior to
installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found on
my PC?!

Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to what
GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
crazy!!!
6 answers Last reply
More about what gtndis5 ndis protocol driver

    A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
    NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
    guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).

    If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
    manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.

    Good luck!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
    > and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
    > software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.
    >
    > When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
    > procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
    > software cannot be found to install the drivers."
    >
    > I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and GTNDIS5
    > NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver
    > here,
    > I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
    > with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
    > Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then
    > reappears!
    >
    > This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance
    > that
    > I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
    > Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.
    >
    > Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
    > procedure at
    > http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then
    > began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior
    > installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
    > whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found
    > on
    > my PC?!
    >
    > Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to
    > what
    > GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
    > crazy!!!

    Thanks Richard.

    Having looked again at Device Manager, I find two devices which are used to
    access the internet:
    Belkin 54Mbps Wireless USB Network Adapter. - This is ENabled!
    and
    Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE100TX v4). - This is DISabled!

    My Belkin adapter accesses thru a Belkin router and all drivers are
    installed and latest updated drivers and there appears to be no problem with
    them at all.

    I have tried updating the Linksys drivers, but the Microsoft wizard informs
    me that it cannot find any newer drivers to install.

    As I access the Internet using the Belkin network, I have purposely DISabled
    the Linksys Ethernet card. This was disabled before I installed Windows
    Updates and did not appear to be responsible for the GTNDIS5 wizard messages.

    HTH?

    >A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
    >NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
    >guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).
    >
    > If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
    > manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
    >> and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
    >> software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.
    >>
    >> When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
    >> procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
    >> software cannot be found to install the drivers."
    >>
    >> I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and
    >> GTNDIS5
    >> NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver
    >> here,
    >> I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
    >> with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
    >> Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then
    >> reappears!
    >>
    >> This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance
    >> that
    >> I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
    >> Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.
    >>
    >> Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
    >> procedure at
    >> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then
    >> began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior
    >> installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
    >> whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found
    >> on
    >> my PC?!
    >>
    >> Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to
    >> what
    >> GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
    >> crazy!!!

    Please explain "!", Pete?!

    Thanks!

    "Pete" wrote:

    > !

    > >A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
    > >NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
    > >guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).
    > >
    > > If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
    > > manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Richard Urban
    > >
    > > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >

    > > "alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
    > >> and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
    > >> software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.
    > >>
    > >> When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
    > >> procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
    > >> software cannot be found to install the drivers."
    > >>
    > >> I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and
    > >> GTNDIS5
    > >> NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver
    > >> here,
    > >> I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
    > >> with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
    > >> Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then
    > >> reappears!
    > >>
    > >> This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance
    > >> that
    > >> I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
    > >> Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.
    > >>
    > >> Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
    > >> procedure at
    > >> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then
    > >> began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior
    > >> installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
    > >> whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found
    > >> on
    > >> my PC?!
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to
    > >> what
    > >> GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
    > >> crazy!!!

    Observance 1: ! = not
    Observance 2: Pete = Bozo

    alba1314 wrote:

    > Please explain "!", Pete?!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Pete" wrote:
    >

    >>!
    >>

    >>"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
    >>>NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
    >>>guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).
    >>>
    >>>If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
    >>>manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.
    >>>
    >>>Good luck!
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Richard Urban
    >>>
    >>>If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >>>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    >>>

    >>>"alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I agree, Bob I - but this is a serious topic and I would request that only
    serious replies be posted within the thread.

    Many thanks,

    alba.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    Observance 1: ! = not