What is GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver?

I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.

When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
software cannot be found to install the drivers."

I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and GTNDIS5
NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver here,
I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then reappears!

This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance that
I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.

Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
procedure at
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then I
began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior to
installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found on
my PC?!

Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to what
GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
crazy!!!

A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).

If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.

Good luck!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
> and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
> software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.
>
> When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
> procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
> software cannot be found to install the drivers."
>
> I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and GTNDIS5
> NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver
> here,
> I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
> with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
> Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then
> reappears!
>
> This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance
> that
> I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
> Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.
>
> Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
> procedure at
> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then
> began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior
> installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
> whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found
> on
> my PC?!
>
> Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to
> what
> GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
> crazy!!!

Thanks Richard.

Having looked again at Device Manager, I find two devices which are used to
access the internet:
Belkin 54Mbps Wireless USB Network Adapter. - This is ENabled!
and
Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE100TX v4). - This is DISabled!

My Belkin adapter accesses thru a Belkin router and all drivers are
installed and latest updated drivers and there appears to be no problem with
them at all.

I have tried updating the Linksys drivers, but the Microsoft wizard informs
me that it cannot find any newer drivers to install.

As I access the Internet using the Belkin network, I have purposely DISabled
the Linksys Ethernet card. This was disabled before I installed Windows
Updates and did not appear to be responsible for the GTNDIS5 wizard messages.

HTH?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

!

>A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
>NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
>guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).
>
> If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
> manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
>> and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
>> software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.
>>
>> When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
>> procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
>> software cannot be found to install the drivers."
>>
>> I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and
>> GTNDIS5
>> NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver
>> here,
>> I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
>> with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
>> Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then
>> reappears!
>>
>> This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance
>> that
>> I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
>> Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.
>>
>> Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
>> procedure at
>> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then
>> began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior
>> installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
>> whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found
>> on
>> my PC?!
>>
>> Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to
>> what
>> GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
>> crazy!!!

Please explain "!", Pete?!

Thanks!

"Pete" wrote:

> !

> >A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
> >NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
> >guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).
> >
> > If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
> > manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >

> > "alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I have had a problem recently when I log-on to my sons' XP Home Edition PC
> >> and it is that I am asked (by means of a Microsoft wizard) to install the
> >> software for GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver.
> >>
> >> When I try to install the software using the wizard and its step-by-step
> >> procedure, I am met with a final message related by the wizard that "the
> >> software cannot be found to install the drivers."
> >>
> >> I have checked Control Panel> System> Hardware> Device Manager and
> >> GTNDIS5
> >> NDIS Protocol Driver appears here. When I choose to update the driver
> >> here,
> >> I get the same Microsoft wizard appear and go through the same procedure,
> >> with the same result! If I delete the GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver from
> >> Device Manager, it stays away for maybe the next boot-up and then
> >> reappears!
> >>
> >> This problem could not be resolved recently and became such a nuisance
> >> that
> >> I formatted the HDD and set it back to factory settings using the Restore
> >> Disks that came with the preloaded O/S machine.
> >>
> >> Things seemed to run fine until I used the Microsoft Windows Updates
> >> procedure at
> >> http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us. Then
> >> began to experience this GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver nuisance... Prior
> >> installing latest Microsoft Updates, there was no sign of this problem
> >> whatsoever - indeed, GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver was nowhere to be found
> >> on
> >> my PC?!
> >>
> >> Can anyone please help me to resolve this problem?? I have no idea to
> >> what
> >> GTNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver relates to on my system and it is driving me
> >> crazy!!!

Observance 1: ! = not
Observance 2: Pete = Bozo

alba1314 wrote:

> Please explain "!", Pete?!
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Pete" wrote:
>

>>!
>>

>>"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>A quick search of Google (try it sometime) brings up an article that says
>>>NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification. Therefore I would
>>>guess that this has something to do with your network interface card (LAN).
>>>
>>>If you have a non standard card, you will have to reinstall the
>>>manufacturers dedicated WinXP drivers.
>>>
>>>Good luck!
>>>
>>>--
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Richard Urban
>>>
>>>If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>>"alba1314" <alba1314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I agree, Bob I - but this is a serious topic and I would request that only
serious replies be posted within the thread.

Many thanks,

alba.

"Bob I" wrote:

Observance 1: ! = not