extreemly slow XP clients

I have a network of 25 user. every one using win2k except 2 clients using XP.
the DC is win2K3 and every thing is good including cable and switches. the XP
clients are normally very slow and some time freeze if I try to access maped
drives. this is causing a huge problem becouse these are brand new computers
and still dont work properly.

Please can some one help
6 answers Last reply
More about extreemly slow clients

    Amad Malik wrote:

    > I have a network of 25 user. every one using win2k except 2 clients
    > using XP. the DC is win2K3 and every thing is good including cable and
    > switches. the XP clients are normally very slow and some time freeze
    > if I try to access maped drives. this is causing a huge problem
    > becouse these are brand new computers and still dont work properly.
    >
    > Please can some one help

    Slow logons are usually caused by incorrect DNS settings. Here are some
    links and information from MVP Ron Lowe:

    XP differs from previous versions of windows in that it uses DNS as it's
    primary name resolution method for finding domain controllers:

    If DNS is misconfigured, XP will spend a lot of time waiting for it to
    timeout before it tries using legacy NT4 sytle NetBIOS. ( Which may or
    may not work. )

    1) Ensure that the XP clients are all configured to point to the local
    DNS server which hosts the AD domain. That will probably be the Win2k
    server itself. They should NOT be pointing to an ISP's DNS server. An
    'ipconfig /all' on the XP box should reveal ONLY the domain's DNS
    server. You should use the DHCP server to push out the local DNS server
    address.

    2) Ensure DNS server on Win2k is configured to permit dynamic updates.

    3) Ensure the Win2k server points to itself as a DNS server.

    4) For external ( internet ) name resolution, specify your ISP's DNS
    server not on the clients, but in the 'forwarders' tab of the local
    Win2k DNS server.

    On the DNS server, if you cannot access the 'Forwarders' and 'Root
    Hints' tabs because they are greyed out, that is because there is a
    root zone (".") present on the DNS server. You MUST delete this root
    zone to permit the server to forward unresolved queries to yout ISP or
    the root servers. Accept any nags etc, and let it delete any
    corresponding reverse lookup zones if it asks.

    How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861
    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000 -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    DNS and AD FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "Amad Malik" <AmadMalik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a network of 25 user. every one using win2k except 2 clients using
    >XP.
    > the DC is win2K3 and every thing is good including cable and switches. the
    > XP
    > clients are normally very slow and some time freeze if I try to access
    > maped
    > drives. this is causing a huge problem becouse these are brand new
    > computers
    > and still dont work properly.
    >
    > Please can some one help

    It may be a known problem you are experiencing.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885189

    I have also seen this happen when the root folder of the mapped drive and
    any folders one level down contain a lot (thousands) of files. XP parses all
    the file names in the root and also one level down when accessing a mapped
    drive. Sometimes using UNC names instead of a mapped drive solves this. It
    depends on the program accessing the share. If using UNC names doesn't work
    the only workaround I've found is to move some files.

    Another problem is mapped drives that are not available. For some reason
    when accessing a mapped drive XP will sometimes check all the other mapped
    drives as well. Delete any mapped drives that are not needed. Also go into
    the My Network Places folder on an affected computer and remove everything
    in there that is not needed. If there is a mapped drive or a Network Place
    that is not available XP waits for the search to time out before it displays
    the folder you are trying to access. Again this seems to be an intermittant
    problem not affecting all clients.

    Kerry

    Try line 79.

    Speedup Network Logon/Boot (Line 79)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Amad Malik" <AmadMalik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a network of 25 user. every one using win2k except 2 clients using
    >XP.
    > the DC is win2K3 and every thing is good including cable and switches. the
    > XP
    > clients are normally very slow and some time freeze if I try to access
    > maped
    > drives. this is causing a huge problem becouse these are brand new
    > computers
    > and still dont work properly.
    >
    > Please can some one help

    Thank you all for your responce. I have tryied everything but still no luck.
    Please tell me if you have any more information. it seems that every time I
    make a change or just restart the computer it works fine. even if I login as
    administrator it works fine but administrator don't have any drives maped so
    that could be a issue becouse it seems that the clients cant access only a
    few PC's on the network. Restart the system or login as administrator and
    every thing is fine for some time.

    Amad Malik wrote:

    > Thank you all for your responce. I have tryied everything but still no
    > luck. Please tell me if you have any more information. it seems that
    > every time I make a change or just restart the computer it works fine.
    > even if I login as administrator it works fine but administrator don't
    > have any drives maped so that could be a issue becouse it seems that
    > the clients cant access only a few PC's on the network. Restart the
    > system or login as administrator and every thing is fine for some
    > time.
    >
    > "Amad Malik" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a network of 25 user. every one using win2k except 2 clients
    >> using XP. the DC is win2K3 and every thing is good including cable
    >> and switches. the XP clients are normally very slow and some time
    >> freeze if I try to access maped drives. this is causing a huge
    >> problem becouse these are brand new computers and still dont work
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> Please can some one help

    You need to look at what your users have mapped, then. It sounds like
    the workstations are trying to access something on the network that is
    either unavailable or to which the users don't have proper access
    permissions and it is timing out. Since this is a business, you will
    probably find it more efficient to have an outside professional
    computer network consultant come in and have a look. Someone on-site is
    going to be able to pinpoint the issue(s) far quicker and more
    accurately than people in a newsgroup. This is a cost of doing business
    and well worth it.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    thank you all fo you help. I think kelly'slittle XP twike worked out. it
    didnt wokrd first time but later when I restarted the system and tryed again
    it worked and now both computers are fine.

    thanks all of you guys and the DNS tip was also very helpfull it helped on
    another occasion.

    "Amad Malik" wrote:

    > I have a network of 25 user. every one using win2k except 2 clients using XP.
    > the DC is win2K3 and every thing is good including cable and switches. the XP
    > clients are normally very slow and some time freeze if I try to access maped
    > drives. this is causing a huge problem becouse these are brand new computers
    > and still dont work properly.
    >
    > Please can some one help

Microsoft Windows XP