Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files

This is one from one of our Senior Group members,

I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that I
now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove when
I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are still
increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought that maybe
they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now doubtful as I
cannot find the settings.

Any assistance please?

--

Regards
Joe

    WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files
    [[The WebClient/Publisher service maintains a cache of accessed
    files on this disk. These files are kept locally for performance
    reasons only and can be deleted safely.]]

    If you are not using the WebClient for anything (like Publish this file or
    folder to the web), stop the service.

    Explains Publish this file or folder to the web...

    How To Publish Pictures to the Internet in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291252

    Publish this file or folder to the web
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_fcab_publish_to_web.mspx

    WebClient service
    [[Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
    Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not
    be available. ]]

    Open Services...
    Start | Run | Type: services | Click OK |
    Scroll down to and double click WebClient |
    Under Startup type, set to Disabled | Click the Apply button |
    Click the Stop button | When the WebClient service stops, close Services.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23TFttnJgFHA.3936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Joe <jogor@bigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:
    > This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >

    > I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
    > I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    > when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    > still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    > that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    > doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >
    > Any assistance please?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Joe
    > Tasmania

    Hi Joe,

    Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)

    Suggestions:

    Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    Once done, type: shutdown -r
    Enter, reboot.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >

    > I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
    > I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    > when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    > still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    > that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    > doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >
    > Any assistance please?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Joe
    > Tasmania

    Hi Kelly,

    Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in

    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

    And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in the
    Content.IE5 folder?

    I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
    Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e. some
    long ago deleted index.dat.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Joe,
    >
    > Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    > Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    > Once done, type: shutdown -r
    > Enter, reboot.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >>

    >> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
    >> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    >> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    >> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    >> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    >> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >>
    >> Any assistance please?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Joe
    >> Tasmania

    Hello Kelly and Wesley, yes I'm still trying to help these old people in my
    age group -:)) but they seem to be making the questions harder.

    Thank you and Wesley for your assistance and in view of what Wesley has said
    I will wait on your reply to him before I send the information from you both
    off to our member.

    Thanks again to you both.

    --

    Regards
    Joe
    > Hi Joe,
    >
    > Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    > Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    > Once done, type: shutdown -r
    > Enter, reboot.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >>

    >> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
    >> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    >> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    >> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    >> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    >> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >>
    >> Any assistance please?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Joe
    >> Tasmania

    For information.

    Kelly, before I passed you suggestions on I thought that I would try that
    first to see the result if any. Following your direction I booted into Safe
    Mode using the Administrator Account and typed in what you said.

    I then got the message that the process could not run as the file was being
    used by another process, maybe not the exact words but I think you would
    know the message well.

    Do you have any further thoughts on this please?

    --

    Regards
    Joe

    > Hi Joe,
    >
    > Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    > Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    > Once done, type: shutdown -r
    > Enter, reboot.
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >>

    >> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
    >> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    >> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    >> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    >> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    >> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >>
    >> Any assistance please?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Joe
    >> Tasmania

    Further to previous posts, I have received an email from the member
    inquiring and in part he says this:

    ' Hello Joe,
    I just rang Microsoft. They advised me that the WebClient/Publisher files
    are a normal cache on XP. SP2. They are archive files and cannot be deleted.
    They do not know how big they grow to '

    Any thoughts please?

    --

    Regards
    Joe
    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in
    >
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    >
    > And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in
    > the
    > Content.IE5 folder?
    >
    > I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
    > Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e.
    > some
    > long ago deleted index.dat.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Joe,
    >>
    >> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)
    >>
    >> Suggestions:
    >>
    >> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    >> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    >> Once done, type: shutdown -r
    >> Enter, reboot.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >>>

    >>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except
    >>> that
    >>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    >>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    >>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    >>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    >>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance please?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Joe
    >>> Tasmania

    For the information of Kelly and Wesley I have received this message from
    the member I asked assistance for.

    Hello Joe,
    Many thanks for the info. The WebClient/Publisher files now read zero. My 2
    braincells now know how to find "services". (Start/control panel/admin.
    tools/services). It feels good to be in control of something on this box of
    post modern rationalism gone mad. I even have the power to turn it back on
    if it is of some help later on.
    Regards,
    Bill

    Much appreciation for your help.

    --

    Regards
    Joe
    Tasmania

    > Hi Kelly,
    >
    > Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in
    >
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    >
    > And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in
    > the
    > Content.IE5 folder?
    >
    > I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
    > Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e.
    > some
    > long ago deleted index.dat.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Joe,
    >>
    >> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)
    >>
    >> Suggestions:
    >>
    >> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    >> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    >> Once done, type: shutdown -r
    >> Enter, reboot.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
    >>>

    >>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except
    >>> that
    >>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
    >>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
    >>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
    >>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
    >>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance please?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Joe
    >>> Tasmania

    Good deal, Joe. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uld1kOChFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Joe <jogor@bigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:
    > For the information of Kelly and Wesley I have received this message from
    > the member I asked assistance for.
    >
    > Hello Joe,
    > Many thanks for the info. The WebClient/Publisher files now read zero. My
    > 2 braincells now know how to find "services". (Start/control panel/admin.
    > tools/services). It feels good to be in control of something on this box
    > of post modern rationalism gone mad. I even have the power to turn it
    > back on if it is of some help later on.
    > Regards,
    > Bill
    >

    > Much appreciation for your help.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Joe
    > Tasmania

    >> Hi Kelly,
    >>
    >> Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in
    >>
    >> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    >>
    >> And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in
    >> the
    >> Content.IE5 folder?
    >>
    >> I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
    >> Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e.
    >> some
    >> long ago deleted index.dat.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi Joe,
    >>>
    >>> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o)
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions:
    >>>
    >>> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
    >>> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
    >>> Once done, type: shutdown -r
    >>> Enter, reboot.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> All the Best,