Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files

July 5, 2005 3:10:03 AM

This is one from one of our Senior Group members,

I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that I
now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove when
I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are still
increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought that maybe
they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now doubtful as I
cannot find the settings.

Any assistance please?

--

Regards
Joe

WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files
[[The WebClient/Publisher service maintains a cache of accessed
files on this disk. These files are kept locally for performance
reasons only and can be deleted safely.]]

If you are not using the WebClient for anything (like Publish this file or
folder to the web), stop the service.

Explains Publish this file or folder to the web...

How To Publish Pictures to the Internet in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291252

Publish this file or folder to the web

WebClient service
[[Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not
be available. ]]

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click WebClient |
Under Startup type, set to Disabled | Click the Apply button |
Click the Stop button | When the WebClient service stops, close Services.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23TFttnJgFHA.3936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Joe <jogor@bigpond.net.au> hunted and pecked:
> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>

> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>
> Any assistance please?
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania
July 5, 2005 4:57:33 AM

Hi Joe,

Glad to see you are still helping others. :o )

Suggestions:

Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
Once done, type: shutdown -r
Enter, reboot.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>

> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>
> Any assistance please?
>
> --
>
> Regards
> Joe
> Tasmania

July 5, 2005 4:09:47 PM

Hi Kelly,

Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in the
Content.IE5 folder?

I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e. some
long ago deleted index.dat.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Joe,
>
> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o )
>
> Suggestions:
>
> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
> Once done, type: shutdown -r
> Enter, reboot.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>>

>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>>
>> Any assistance please?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania
July 6, 2005 4:35:36 PM

Hello Kelly and Wesley, yes I'm still trying to help these old people in my
age group -:) ) but they seem to be making the questions harder.

Thank you and Wesley for your assistance and in view of what Wesley has said
I will wait on your reply to him before I send the information from you both
off to our member.

Thanks again to you both.

--

Regards
Joe
> Hi Joe,
>
> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o )
>
> Suggestions:
>
> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
> Once done, type: shutdown -r
> Enter, reboot.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>>

>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>>
>> Any assistance please?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania

July 8, 2005 12:50:46 AM

For information.

Kelly, before I passed you suggestions on I thought that I would try that
first to see the result if any. Following your direction I booted into Safe
Mode using the Administrator Account and typed in what you said.

I then got the message that the process could not run as the file was being
used by another process, maybe not the exact words but I think you would
know the message well.

Do you have any further thoughts on this please?

--

Regards
Joe

> Hi Joe,
>
> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o )
>
> Suggestions:
>
> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
> Once done, type: shutdown -r
> Enter, reboot.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>>

>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except that
>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>>
>> Any assistance please?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe
>> Tasmania

July 8, 2005 3:41:58 AM

Further to previous posts, I have received an email from the member
inquiring and in part he says this:

' Hello Joe,
I just rang Microsoft. They advised me that the WebClient/Publisher files
are a normal cache on XP. SP2. They are archive files and cannot be deleted.
They do not know how big they grow to '

Any thoughts please?

--

Regards
Joe
> Hi Kelly,
>
> Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in
> the
> Content.IE5 folder?
>
> I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
> Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e.
> some
> long ago deleted index.dat.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o )
>>
>> Suggestions:
>>
>> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
>> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
>> Once done, type: shutdown -r
>> Enter, reboot.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>>>

>>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except
>>> that
>>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
>>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
>>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
>>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
>>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>>>
>>> Any assistance please?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Joe
>>> Tasmania

July 9, 2005 3:14:49 PM

For the information of Kelly and Wesley I have received this message from
the member I asked assistance for.

Hello Joe,
Many thanks for the info. The WebClient/Publisher files now read zero. My 2
braincells now know how to find "services". (Start/control panel/admin.
tools/services). It feels good to be in control of something on this box of
post modern rationalism gone mad. I even have the power to turn it back on
if it is of some help later on.
Regards,
Bill

Much appreciation for your help.

--

Regards
Joe
Tasmania

> Hi Kelly,
>
> Are you saying that WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files are somewhere in
>
> %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
> And that what Joe is seeing is the size of the index.dat file located in
> the
> Content.IE5 folder?
>
> I have been trying to figure out where the WebClient/Publisher Temporary
> Files are located. I don't have any now, maybe I did at one time, i.e.
> some
> long ago deleted index.dat.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ut0OuZSgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Glad to see you are still helping others. :o )
>>
>> Suggestions:
>>
>> Boot into Safe Mode into the System Admin account.
>> Once there: Start/Run/CMD: del index.dat /s
>> Once done, type: shutdown -r
>> Enter, reboot.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Joe" <jogor@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> This is one from one of our Senior Group members,
>>>

>>> I recently upgraded my Me to XP professional SP2. It works OK except
>>> that
>>> I now have "Web/Client Publishing Temporary Files" which will not remove
>>> when I use Disk Cleanup. I have been trying for 2 weeks now but they are
>>> still increasing. They started at 2300 kb and are now 3200kb. I thought
>>> that maybe they would be set to auto delete after a set time but am now
>>> doubtful as I cannot find the settings.
>>>
>>> Any assistance please?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards