Does anyone know of a command line boot utility

I have a Windows XP Pro system that became hosed during a failed attempt to
apply SP2 and now is in a "Incomplete install.... rebooting" loop. Before
attempting to recover, I would like to boot into a command prompt...
hopefully from a bootable CD... and back up any critical files before
messing around. (Security files, registry, etc.).

Does anyone know of a utility for accomplsing this?
5 answers Last reply
More about does command line boot utility

    BartPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "bill" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows XP Pro system that became hosed during a failed attempt to
    > apply SP2 and now is in a "Incomplete install.... rebooting" loop. Before
    > attempting to recover, I would like to boot into a command prompt...
    > hopefully from a bootable CD... and back up any critical files before
    > messing around. (Security files, registry, etc.).
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility for accomplsing this?

    Hi, Bill.

    In addition to the other suggestions, you might physically transfer your HD
    into another computer temporarily to save your files.

    If you don't need Windows itself - and IF your HD is formatted FAT - then
    you can use an MS-DOS boot floppy to boot and to copy files. This won't
    help with NTFS, though; you can still boot. but MS-DOS can't read or write
    to the HD. You can make an MS-DOS boot floppy from WinXP (if you can get it
    booted - or borrow another machine) by right-clicking on Drive A: in My
    Computer and choosing Format.

    Depending on your HD configuration (How many physical drives; how are they
    partitioned and formatted; how much space is available on the other
    partitions?), you might be able to boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and do a
    parallel install, as described here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_jyof.asp

    It may not be possible from where you are now, but can you boot from the
    WinXP CD-ROM and do a Repair Install, as described in KB 315341?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "bill" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows XP Pro system that became hosed during a failed attempt to
    > apply SP2 and now is in a "Incomplete install.... rebooting" loop. Before
    > attempting to recover, I would like to boot into a command prompt...
    > hopefully from a bootable CD... and back up any critical files before
    > messing around. (Security files, registry, etc.).
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility for accomplsing this?

    ntfs4dos

    http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

    Jon

    bill wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP Pro system that became hosed during a failed attempt to
    > apply SP2 and now is in a "Incomplete install.... rebooting" loop. Before
    > attempting to recover, I would like to boot into a command prompt...
    > hopefully from a bootable CD... and back up any critical files before
    > messing around. (Security files, registry, etc.).
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility for accomplsing this?

    In addition to BartPE and NTFS4DOS solutions Bill and Rick offered you
    could slave the drive to another working system if you have one
    available and backup your files from the drive.

    Steve

    "" wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP Pro system that became hosed during a
    > failed attempt to
    > apply SP2 and now is in a "Incomplete install.... rebooting"
    > loop. Before
    > attempting to recover, I would like to boot into a command
    > prompt...
    > hopefully from a bootable CD... and back up any critical
    > files before
    > messing around. (Security files, registry, etc.).
    >
    > Does anyone know of a utility for accomplsing this?

    you needto put the xp disk in, and when it gives you the option load
    the recovary console, whih is a very dos like console. It will alow
    you to copy files from the hard drive to floppy disk or, if you have
    one, usb flash memory if it’s suppoted.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-command-line-boot-utility-ftopict553044.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1754219

Boot Command Line Windows XP