Installing Updates

i have just installed windows xp home, i am trying to intall windows
updates, keeps failing and now i am trying to delete wutemp from the c
drive, but the folder is not there, i am showing protected files etc, but it
is still not there

have renamed the edb.log file as well

can anyone help with this

thanks in advance

Allan

Hi Allan,

Do you have multiple volumes? If so, the WUtemp folder will likely be on the
one with the most space available.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"HaigyBhoy" <a@b.com> wrote in message
>i have just installed windows xp home, i am trying to intall windows
>updates, keeps failing and now i am trying to delete wutemp from the c
>drive, but the folder is not there, i am showing protected files etc, but
>it is still not there
>
> have renamed the edb.log file as well
>
> can anyone help with this
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Allan

Show hidden files, folders, and system files
http://snipurl.com/f4cx

Open the WindowsUpdate.log in the WINDOWS directory with Notepad.
Scroll down to the bottom for the latest entries. There will be an error
code associated with the latest update attempt. When you locate it, post
the error code here along with the issue :

There is no WUTemp folder associated with the V5 or V6 Windows Update sites.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#4

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Hi Alan,

Based on my experience, the reason of fail to install Windows Update can be
various. So before we try to troubleshoot, some necessary information is
needed.

1. Your OS is Windows XP Home with SP1 or SP2?
2. When did you get the error message that told you update failed?(When you
try to access the Update Site? Try to download updates? Try to install the
Updates?)
3. What exact message did you get? Please told we in detail or you may
attach a screen shot to show the error message.

All replies in this thread may help and you may try them first. But in my
opinion we should narrow down this issue before we try to fix it. So I get
some suggestions for you as below:

Suggestion 1: This issue may relate to User Profile so we can try to create
a new user profile in the Administrators Group to see if this issue occurs.
I'm glad to provide the detailed steps here:

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
6. On the Action menu, click New User.
7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.
8. Logon with the new user account to see if the issue occurs in the user
profile.

Suggestion 2: I also suspect this issue may relate to some third-party
applications, so I suggest you boot into Safe Mode with Network to see if
this issue persists. If this issue disappears in the safe mode, you may Use
Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference Boot into Clean Boot
environment. About how to deal the Clean Boot, please refer to following
article:

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Suggestion 3: Since this issue happen to IE, so I'd like to suggest you
restore all IE's default settings. The steps may be a little inconvenient:
1. Delete the cookies

1) Click Start, click Search and click For Files or Folders
2) Type "Cookies" (without the quotation marks) and click Search Now
3) Delete files in the cookie directory

2. Delete all the temporary files

1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click Delete Files button in the
General tab

3. Delete the downloaded objects

1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click settings button in the
General tab.
3) Press View Objects.
4) Remove all the Objects there.

4. Remove the Plug-Ins in Internet Explorer

1) Close all the Internet Explorer windows.
2) Open a Windows Explorer window by right Click My Computer and choose
Explore.
3) Locate the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS
4) Remove all the files in this folder.

5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

1) Stop Automatic Updates service.
a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc.
b. In the right pane, stop the Automatic Updates service.
2) Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
3) Test the issue again.

6. Reset all settings of Internet Explorer

1) Under the General tab, click Clear history button.
2) Under the Security tab, click Default Level button.
3) Under the Content tab. Under Content Advisor the button default is
"Enable..."
Click on "Clear SSL" under Certificates, and click on "OK."
4) Under "Local Area Network (LAN) settings" click on the "LAN Settings..."
button - remove all checkmarks and settings unless actually required to use
a proxy and close the window
5) Under the Programs tab, click Reset Web Settings.
6) Under the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults button.
Under Browsing put a checkmark into or remove the checkmark from "Enable
third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".
7) Click on "Apply", then "OK"
8) Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.

7. Disable all third party Add-ons

1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Click Tools to select Manage Add-ons.
3) Disable all third party Add-ons.

Suggestion 4: This issue also may relate to Windows Update add-on directly,
so we may re-register it manually.

1. Boot into Safe Mode with Network

2. Please Copy the following files from a normal PC under the folder
"%systemroot%\system32" to the problematic PC again to overwrite the older
ones.
%windir%\System32\cdm.dll
%windir%\System32\iuengine.dll
%windir%\System32\wuapi.dll
%windir%\System32\wuauclt.exe
%windir%\System32\wuauclt1.exe
%windir%\System32\wuaucpl.cpl
%windir%\System32\wuaueng.dll
%windir%\System32\wuaueng1.dll
%windir%\System32\wucltui.dll
%windir%\System32\wups.dll
%windir%\System32\wups2.dll
%windir%\System32\wuweb.dll

3. Re-register these dll file.

4. Try to access Windows Update again.

Furthermore, before you try these suggestions, please make sure that you
access the Windows Update Site directly, I mean make sure there are no
proxy server between your PC and the Windows Site, because you may have
problem when access Windows Update Site via proxy server.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "HaigyBhoy" <a@b.com>
| Subject: Installing Updates
| Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:59:57 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| i have just installed windows xp home, i am trying to intall windows
| updates, keeps failing and now i am trying to delete wutemp from the c
| drive, but the folder is not there, i am showing protected files etc, but
it
| is still not there
|
| have renamed the edb.log file as well
|
| can anyone help with this